1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best torch lighter

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Jbum, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Inspired by Freedom's thread I am an ex-smoker of 4 years and carry a lighter in all my bags mostly Bic and now am looking for a torch lighter. What is the best small torch windproof and water proof lighter in your opinion.

2. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

the windmill's get my vote

3. Rachel

Rachel Loaded Pockets

I've got a Blazer CG001 and it's awesome. Great flame and the thumb bit you press on is substantial (can use with gloves) and doesn't get hot with use. http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighters/cg001.html Plus I got one in Orange which is always a thumbs up in my book!

4. ezeqdb

ezeqdb Loaded Pockets

5. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

6. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying a Delta Windmill for about 2 years and it still works as new. Lights first time every time.

7. niagaratac

niagaratac Loaded Pockets

A great question to ask a guy that does smoke and cigars as well as trip alot needing light for more then just a fire or camp stove ignition.

Best = what most expensive? Or best dam they work well for price?

I have a Windmill, Brunton, etc. actually way to many $50 + lighters and find still best as a Stormproof, Windproof, Waterproof, Lighter is,,,,,

$12 "Storm lighter" bought on Ebay. They have lasted 2 week kayaking trips, weeks on beaches rain sitting in water and they keep going. Saw a great gear review from Hiker mag recommend them.

I am about redundancy and backups to primary systems and with them I can have 3 on hand, for quarter the price of a Windmill or Brunton that work no better.

The best lighter is one that works you can afford 3 of! One will break, 3 will mathematically only do so when it means your more likely to be in path of tornado then all break in one excursion.

I have these in BOB's, day packs, cars, boats, pocket, first aid kits.

8. b0wz3r

b0wz3r Empty Pockets

I have a Windmill Trekker and it is a POS. I've had it about two years, and it never even once performed up to its advertised claims.

Simply put, if it gets any colder than about 50 degrees, or higher up than about 2,000 ft. it just won't work. I've tried playing with the fuel flow setting and all that, but it never has done any good. Last winter I was snow camping in Yosemite and hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls with my wife. The dang thing was dead, dead, dead. If my wife didn't have a cheapo Bic on her, we'd have been majorly screwed.

I'm not a smoker either, and I haven't abused it, used it a whole lot, or put it through any kind of demanding tasks other than trying to get it to work at elevation and in the cold, and it doesn't work worth $hit.

And, just a few days ago, the thing failed entirely. Won't light at all now, no matter what. I'm going to contact the company and request a refund.

I would advise staying away from ANY Windmill lighter. I'm going to go tried and true and get a Zippo. It might not be a torch lighter, but at least I know it will work when it's cold and at elevation.

9. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

10. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The Blazer is a pretty darn good jet lighter. You should also look at the Soto Pocket Torch: you can simply refill it by popping in a cheap soft flame lighter.

11. b0wz3r

b0wz3r Empty Pockets

On their page though, it says they can't send them to the US anymore. :(