1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Tactical Pants? Best Value?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by legoman0721, Feb 5, 2011.

1. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Well, I just got a job where I need to wear black pants, and I only own a single pair of black pants. Perfect opportunity to upgrade my EDC clothing! After some snooping, I'm getting a little discouraged about 5.11 Taclite Pros, which I thought were the benchmark that others were judged by. Lately I've been really considering the Blackhawk Warrior Wear pants. There's also Tru-Spec, and I'm sure many other brands that I have never heard of. For overall quality, are the original 5.11 tactical pants a better choice, or just heavier material?

I hate making this type of thread, but I have to ask. What's the best tactical pant? I.E. Which option has the best quality, comfort, pocket layout, durability, color options, etc? For this category, price really doesn't matter. I'm a college student so I'll be going with a more value-oriented choice, but I really want to know which brands have earned the trust of their customers.

Also, which option is the best value? What's the most cost-effective solution, maybe not top quality but good for the price? I'm thinking something from LAPG might fit the bill here, but I'd like to hear from all of you.

To tailor this thread to my own preferences (pun intended!), I love the idea of those thigh tool pockets that Taclite Pro pants have. The most important feature that I want is a good pocket layout that provides a lot of options. I also want durability, but that should go without saying. The black pants that I buy at some point will sort of serve as a trial period. If I don't like them, they're just work pants and they'll stay that way. If I do like them I'll buy more in coyote, khaki, green, who knows!

Anyways, thanks all in advance!

2. Redbeane

Redbeane Loaded Pockets

the best value for me has been the tru-spec pants. great pocket layout, cargo pocket organizers, and reasonably priced. i have some la police gear pants. great features, and the fit is very good. fine for casual wear, but i don't expect they'd hold up for long under real abuse. the 5.11 pants are good, but i have been happier with the tru-spec trousers. blackhawk pants are pricey, but built to take real maltreatment. the pocket layout isn't as good as the tru-spec pants, but that's just my opinion.

3. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I prefer the Blackhawk lightweight to the 5.11 taclite, the ultra light are also ehm ultralight. I also prefer the Blackhawk Performance Cotton to either the 5.11 or the Blackhawk WW tactical for cooler weather or when you want harder wearing (I am not a big fan of the the 5.11 back strap or the blackhawk Molle (and the no knee pad pocket on those blackhawks was a big downer for me). If it's the pocket layout then defintely Blackhawk have more options. If you want slightly more discrete then Vertx have a place in my heart along with 5.11 Covert Cargos.

4. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i have 4 pairs of Vertx pants..and two of the four are black...they wear and wash well..sometimes they do need some touchup with a iron,,pocket layout is wonderfull at least they are for me,,

and they are the most comfortable pants ever...if you try them get the correct length but get the waist size one size up

5. RFA3

RFA3 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the VERTX best pants i have owned and very comfortable.....A++++

6. cameraman

cameraman Loaded Pockets

I wore the same three sets of Tru-Spec TRUs for three deployments to A'stan and still have them. They are ideal, in terms of comfort, durability, capacity, and pocket layout, IMO. I don't like 5.11s at all, though some do - I can't stand the elastic waist.

7. anywayoutside

anywayoutside Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing 5.11 Taclite Pro, 5.11 Standard Tactical Pant, and Eotac 201 Operators. I have had good luck with all three so far.

8. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

The colour rendition on my Blackhawk Lightweight pants was really really bad. They were meant to be black but out of the packaging were a brown/charcoal colour. I did not return them as the company I bought them from were a total waste of time even the first time round (intelligent-armour in the UK). It is unlikely I would buy another pair without seeing the colour in person even though they are great trousers. I may try the Ultra Light pants or go to 5.11 Taclites. I work as a nurse and wear my own clothes (no uniform but a strict dress code) so they need to be fairly decent.

Also, the velcro on the pockets is NOISY!!!!!! However, the pistol mag/phone pockets on both thighs are very handy.

9. umc

umc Empty Pockets

Tru-Spec 24/7 for me. I wear them everyday for work and love them for their not so tact-I-cool look and the pocket layout is great.

They are not perfect IMHO though. The way the elastic waist is built tends to get uncomfortable after wearing a gun and gun belt all day. They could be more durable, I have carhartt jeans that I have had for 6 + years and they're still going strong, I've replace the 24/7s somewhat regularly. The two side tool pockets could be deeper and wider. I carry pens in them since they're not good for knives.

Despite those things I still love them and will continue to buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse the typos.

10. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

Not sure what type of work you're doing, if you really need all the pockets or not, but classic dickies workpants wear like iron, cheap as dirt, and some have a cool cellphone pocket on the leg. Tough to beat a classic.

11. Mag718

Mag718 Loaded Pockets

I like the TruSpec's as well. Although they are not lightweight. So here in Alabama, in the summer when the humidity is around 1000% and the temp is 97* they are hot as hell. I may look into the blackhawk lightweight ones.. !!

12. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I'll just be stocking shelves at a grocery store, but I love to have tons of pockets. I'll take a look at Dickies, I hadn't even considered them so thank you!

13. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

BDU.com just introduced a new line of lightweight,ripstop cargo pants for $19.99.
    Haven't tried these yet,but everything I've ever bought there has been excellent.Great quality + great customer service.

14. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

i've got a really comfy $4 pair of PJs I got from walmart. I bet they come in black.

15. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

How do they compare size wise. I have some of the shorts and they're a tad undersized. I think this is because they have small elastic parts on the waistband. Waiting for my Ozzie stockist to get some in as Vertx wont ship from US to me. Which is a pain as my stockist only orders in what he needs, which means he orders from the states when needed.

16. fatnewt

fatnewt Loaded Pockets

Got a pair of duluth trading company's firehose pants in their 5 pocket jeans style and they're super heavy duty, decent deal. They have versions with cargo pockets, as well. Really happy with them. They're Heavy weight and sturdy.

17. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i really cant compare size wise ...when i first heard about vertx pants i read to order a size up in the waist..and the length to order as i normally would,,, i wera a 34w and ordered a 36w,,and there just fine,,,actually a 35w would probably fit me even better, because i do have extra room in the butt area, but it is not a bad fit,,at all

18. nla

nla Empty Pockets

+1 for the Blackhawk Warriorwear lightweights. I've got a pair of almost every "tactical" pant available (5.11, Propper, BH...) and I like the BH's best.

19. sdsponger

sdsponger Loaded Pockets

LA Police Gear has some basic pants...quality is really good and they are usually on sale.

20. Indy

Indy Empty Pockets

I wear "Operator pants" from www.LApolicegear.com, and they are great !! I work as a mechanic so I am kneeling on concrete a lot. These pants have internal slots where you can slide in rubber knee pads like the ones 5.11 Tactical makes (also available at the same site). It makes my job less painfull, and I would imagine would do the same for you since you may also be kneeling on hard surfaces at your new job. They are incrediably durable, and wash/wear very well. I have been wearing the same 5 pairs every weekday for the past 3 years, and besides slight color fade they look like new, even after getting covered in grease, and dirt day after day. Pockets ? Tons of them !!! I carry a lot of stuff on my person, and these pants give me a place to put my pen,leatherman,knife,flashlight,cell phone, and also my Ruger LCP. Did I mention they are cheap ? At only $20 a pair there hard to beat in my book !!

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapolicegear-operator-lightweight-tactical-pants.html