1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Surefire?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by jasper, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jasper

jasper Empty Pockets

A store in my area is going out of business. As a result, all of their flashlights are on sale for 30-50 percent off. I'm interested in getting a surefire flashlight since 30-50 % off makes them more appealing, I just don't know which one. I'd rather not spend alot of money on a flashlight and they've got about twenty different models that range from (after the discount) 60-180 dollars. I'm wondering what people here use and why, and what makes them so sought after. I'd mainly use it for camping or random things once or twice a month. It's an edc, but rarely used.

Thanks in advance.

2. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

IMHO...I think everyone who has bought a Surefire at one time or another has gotten a 6P model in their collection. I will tell you that this was my first Surefire, but not the last!

Over the years...my next purchase was the Executive Elite E2E model because it was smaller than the 6P. Then I got the E2D Executive Defender because it came with the crenulated bezel and tail cap.
    Although recently at a gun show I just puchased a Fenix PD20 because it is almost half the size of my E2D and has 2 modes with 6 types of output.
    Surefires are Great... you will love your flashlight so much you will be surprised at how often you will use it. Unfortunately then you will see how Surefire burns those batteries and bulbs fast!! I love my 6P but I have finally broken down and got the LED bulb for it after replacing 1 reg and 1 hi-output bulbs over the years. But lately I EDC the Fenix light in a shealth/holster next to my phone in its holster on my hip.

Before you buy check out http://www.surefire.com/ it will give you all the specs and great views of their products.

Good Luck,
    Belush2

3. jasper

jasper Empty Pockets

cool, thanks. years ago when the leds were the new thing, i remember buying a couple, probably lower end models and wasnt too impressed. Yes they were brighter, but the range was aweful on them. So being new to the flashlight world i wasnt too sure what to look for, how many lumens were good and what their range was and such. I've been looking at their site and comparing them, but its still hard to know what all that means. As far as range, i'm not looking to be a light house, just enough that if i need to light up a back yard or spotlight the house across the street i know i wont have to worry about enough output..

4. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah...I know what you mean...

I just went out in the yard 12:30 a.m. flashed the Surefire 6P with 80 lumens LED and the Fenix PD20 with 180 lumens LED against the back wall and in the trees.
    You want the max lumens in the size package that is comfortable for your needs and carry. But definitely get the LED bulb.

Also check out http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp?classid=1 Sorry no prices here but good info.

5. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

Most Surefire lights run on CR123 cells. I would suggest, if you prefer,

1 cell - get either an E1B or L1
    2 cells - 6P or G2 (LED or incan versions are both good)

LED gives better run time than incandescent lamps. Personally, I like the "quality (tint, contrasts, etc)" provided by incandescent bulbs, but that's strictly personal hobbyish opinion. If you can get a new 6P-LED for less than $60 to $70, I think that a descent deal. I bought my first 6P-LED at Lowes for around $70 to $75 after some kind of holiday discounts.

One of the moderators around here happens to have a very useful guide on flashlights. Hope Carrot can chime in soon.

For camping, my personal favorite is 3-cell either the C3 or M3 lights. If you see either of them selling new for under $100, grab them all. :roof:

With Aloha,

Clarence

Favorite 3-cell - M3 non-turbo
    Favorite 2-cell - C2
    Favorite 1-cell - E1B (non-SF 1 cell - Ra Clicky)

6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

At those prices, you could probably scoop up some extra and toss them on E-bay or the Marketplace.

Another option is to get a SF host and an aftermarket LED drop-in: Malkoff devices are a popular model.

-Trevor

7. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

If you are a billionaire I would say that in terms of size/weight to performance, the Surefire Titan outdistances all competitors and surpasses most, if not all, custom options as well. That is one sweet little light.

I have a 6P and it is great--super rugged. I use it as my workshop flashlight and it has really great. It can withstand all of the dust, dirt and other crap in the shop and still kick on.

If I were buying only one Surefire for EDC, and the Titan was not possible, I'd probably get the Backup.

8. mgc

mgc Loaded Pockets

just my 2cents worth but i have a 2 stage little e1L led that i tend to gravitate to more than anything else i own. it produces way above its rated max of 45 lumens and the size and shape are perfect for tucking in a pocket. very under-rated light.

for something a bit more powerful, i have a c2 with a malkoff bulb in it. i went for the longer run time . it is a great combination.
    these two are by far my favorites.
    hope it helps.
    Mark

9. ratagain

ratagain Empty Pockets

I would try http://www.extremebeamtactical.com I have a few of them and will take them over any surefire! Got a G2 surfire what a joke! There little SAR5 light which takes 1=123 battery was just as bright and it comes with a recharger and 2 rechargeable 123s. Heres a pic with it and my stream light scorpoin,the SAR5 is one the left and and the second pic is around 1 meter in the air,the scorpoin takes 2=123s were the sar5 takes 1
    [img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/scalesandtails/Picture085.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/scalesandtails/Picture084.jpg[/img]

10. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

The Surefire 6P LED is pretty much Surefire 101. Great sturdy flashlight that should last you years. I suggest turning it into a clicky by ordering a Surefire Click-On/Lock-Out Tailcap, but it will add significantly to a light you will be getting on sale. The G2 LED is pretty much the same light as the 6P only in Nitrolon.

Parawolfe

11. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

If I may, instead of offering my suggestion about a specific model (I'd buy them all!), let me ask you: what would you be using this new light for?

SF is known for offering a myriad of options and purposes for their lights, and it's *tough* to choose between all the models (I speak from experience). So, think about what you want this new light to do for you, and that might help you choose which light to buy (or skip). Do you prefer LED over incan? Do you want 2 or more modes? How about size - do you mind 3x123 lights? How much brightness do you actually *need* (a lot of people seem to *want* the brightest, just 'cuz...)?

...and just for the record, I must own a dozen or so SF's, but have never owned a 6P or a G2; they're simply not what I'm looking for in a light from SF.

...with all that out of the way, my favorite SF's have been the U2, A2, and the L1. I recently developed a love for the e2e with a kx2c bezel (I had it as an incan for the longest time, but never really felt "right"). Loved my Kroma too, and I've been wanting a C2 for the longest time (but I don't really have a need for it)... see? it's hard to decide.

12. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Couldn't agree more. I think everyone needs a 6P/G2 for general purpose use. These lights make great hosts and there are a wide selection of accessories made to fit them.

:iagree:

No don't tell him that! He might go and try to someday. Just about everyone has some sort of Surefire "collection" right? :lolhammer:

13. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

Actually, output from an A2 is very useful for camping too. Red appears red, instead of purple-ish, and leaves are green. Missed that one. Still looking, but cannot justify, for green-yellow and red A2's. Good suggestion from GreenLED.

With Aloha,

Clarence

14. PsychoFish

PsychoFish Empty Pockets

I'm sold on surefire. My AR wears one of their dedicated forends as does one of my shotguns, my duty light for work is a 6P defender, I back it up with a E2D and have way too many G2 LEDs in my bags and vehicles. For me, it's knowing that if something breaks they send out the replacement super fast. My 6P bezel broke on Presidents day around four in the afternoon, I e-mailed them from work, and had my replacement 6pD head, extra battereies, and a pair of the new shooting rings the next week, no questions asked with no out of pocket cost.

15. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

One of my favorite sayings is "As for all good questions, the answer is 'It depends.'"  Case in point:

See, the L4 was my first Surefire.  Really creamy smooth beam and floods beautifully but an ant could throw a basketball farther than the L4 throws light.  Believe it or not, that's actually the feature that makes some people stick with the L4 in spite of new tech: the smooth flood is great for shorter ranges, whereas a tight spot will overwhelm your eyes and decrease what you can see in the periphery.

Now my EDC is a E1B.  It has a low mode that makes it useful for closer range work, and I love the portability.  However, I still take the L4 out when walking dogs and such; I like seeing around, which the floody beam facilitates.

EDIT: See below for someone else who likes the L4. Just wanted to say that while I might be a raving loon, I'm not the only one. =)

16. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

17. vipers

vipers Loaded Pockets

Whichever one best suits your needs is the "best" one. ;)

Any of the P60 compatible options (6P,9P,G2,G3,C2, Z2) are nice options for using aftermarket LED dropin modules. The warranty means the host should last a lifetime. Being able to throw new dropins in it lets you ride LED efficiency improvements to get either better runtime or brighter as technology shifts without having to buy a whole new light.

I really like the L series UI though. It gives a nice low for general camping tasks but high is always right there.

18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

These are all interchangeable - that is, a 6P head will mate to a C2 body and so forth.

"P Series" - 6P (2 cell) and 9P (3 cell). Rounded black aluminum body with knurled grips.

"Z Series" - Z2 (2 cell), aluminum. G2Z (2 cell), Nitrolon. Various colors. One of the first lights with "combat grip" design - the body design "pinches" in the middle to provide better gripping for handgun/flashlight techniques.

"C Series" - C2 (2 cell), HA III in a green aluminum. C3 (3 cell). The military version of the Z2 - similar concept, thicker and heavier build.

"G Series" - G2 (2 cell), Nitrolon, various colors. G3 (3 cell), Nitrolon. Black.

-Trevor

19. hurricane

hurricane Empty Pockets

Very good point to consider.

I just bought a C2 and it's so so sweet ... I also have a Malkoff drop-in [M60] enroute which will put-out 235 lumens - from a tiny light for 1.5 hrs. Being able to up-grade as technology improves is a great thing ... I wish the rest of the tech industry could work like this. More expensive SureFires don't really allow one to do this e.g. the U2 Ultra.

20. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Yeah, there's a reason they call Surefires LEGOs of the flashlight world.  Start with a plain incandescent if you don't have the funds to upgrade, and evolve (or intelligently design) as funds permit.  I started with a G2, then threw in a cheapo $10 DX LED dropin, then upgraded to a 6P, then got another cheapo drop-in so both lights would have LEDs.  When I have the chance again, I'll spring for a Malkoff.  (To be honest, this is not my priority as I'm totally infatuated with my E1B.  But the varied upgrade paths are nonetheless awesome.)