1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

best shape, best size?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by greenmountainbooks, Mar 29, 2015.

1. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

Well, here we go, but this is a favorite topic with both me and a friend.
    What is the optimal size and shape for a EDC pocket knife?
    Both friend and I have positions/professions that effectively prohibit me from being seen with a threatening knife. It also cannot be so large as to cause a massive or heavy lump in my pocket, be intimidating when seen doing things like opening packages (with co-workers or students about). I think ideally, it should be useful for making lunch when necessary...or reworking the food I buy out.
    No Swiss army knives, thank you. Ditto any knife that does not have a locking blade or is too flimsy for light weight prying and tinkering.
    At the present moment I am inclined toward a blade somewhat wide, about 3" in length, ideally with a high-tech plastic handle to limit weight.
    Ready, set, go!
    Oh, hey...what about something folding or otherwise for backpacking. I have only 45 years experience in the woods, or a bit more, but have never been able to find the right combination of light weight and functionality. Lately I have been using the blaze orange handled version of the Swedish army knife. Light, tough but the flimsy sheath needs replacing.

Last edited by greenmountainbooks, Mar 29, 2015
    ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sriracha, vegassprky and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had to say it but an Alox Pioneer or something like Mumbo posted is probably the 'optimum' pocket knife. Plus, the Pioneer has the bottle cap lifter as a very light pry tool.

Even a farmer would not really bulge the pockets, nor scare the non knife people.

It doesn't have locking blades. Maybe a Buck 110? If it isn't too big.

Southpaw likes this.
  4. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]IMG_0137 by Gilatabar, on Flickr
    It's excellent for boxes and lunches. just don't pry with it, you'll snap the blade ;)

Ben Rubinstein and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

second time today to suggest this, Benchmade MiniGrip for EDC. For an inexpensive, yet good outdoors knife, I suggest a Mora

Russ Prechtl, Foxwalk and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mora's are very sturdy, cheap, and reliable knives. 2 of my bags have Mora's and they're solid as a rock.

Foxwalk likes this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

2nd time for me Today too,Delica for the win!

Light enough to forget about but tough enough to be serious.

Can not go wrong with a Grip either but they are not as small and unobtrusive in the pocket either.

Can't go wrong either way and I often do with these.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. greenmountainbooks

Yes, I like Mora as well, have owned a number and one of them has lived in my backpack (and may continue to do so) for years. I used to have one with carbon steel blade and a blaze orange handle (yes it stained), have lost it and replaced it with one with a stainless blade and green handle (I preferred the orange). The only downside is that a sheath knife is not readily available when walking; if mounted on the yoke, is not available away from the pack.
    I have lived with these shortcomings in the past due to the tough, simple, light construction.
    I may, however go to a larger but lightish folder for ease of access. I used to have a couple of 4" folders (back in the '80s) from either Frost or United Cutlery that had tough, high tech synthetic handles, simple, easy to open and close locking blades and a price that could not be beaten. By today's standards, they lacked an easy open option, which for me at least would kill it today. I used to use one of those for backpacking.
    Still looking for that perfect blade...

Last edited by greenmountainbooks, Mar 29, 2015
  9. johnny five

johnny five Loaded Pockets

3 inch wharnie for edc.. As far as the woods. I'm a desert rat for me 4.5-5inch drop point... i prefer fixed blades

Last edited by johnny five, Mar 30, 2015
    Sriracha and vegassprky like this.
  10. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Despite what you wrote in the OP, I think there is a strong case to be made that the SAK blade, like the one on a Pioneer, is the ideal size and shape for EDC.

In reality, most EDC tasks are not high intensity cutting tasks and so a lot of blade shapes and sizes will work. I have done very well with a Draongfly II for years. I also like clip and drop points. For me, under three inches is great for carry. Locks aren't necessary but are nice.

Its probably easier to say what doesn't work. For me that would be multi-faceted grinds (hard to sharpen and use on a small blade), serrations (hard to sharpen), and extreme recurves (again, hard to sharpen). If you avoid these, just about anything works.

Russ Prechtl and johnny five like this.
  11. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think there is no 'best' size/shape for a knife in general. You can pick 'best' size/shape for utility, hunting, EDC, camping, letter opening, self defense/quick deployment and the list goes on and on. For example the best skinning knife is the one that has a good belly, non slippery handle and blade is shaped a bit upwards. For an EDC it could be every knife from 2cm. to 10cm. blade length, fixed or folder, neck or belt or pocket knife, drop point, wharnkliffe or spear point etc. And the list goes on for all the knives and their tasks. Simply, it's very, very dynamic stuff.

12. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

My edc 3in knife is the Ontario Rat2.
    Perfect ergonomics, thin, liner lock, full flat grind, a bit cheapish steel.
    But well, great value for ~$27.
    Comes with plastic scales with 4 clip positions but you can make it unique with your selfmade scales ;)

[​IMG]

johnny five likes this.
  13. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

This is a "blondes or brunettes" question. Everyone has their own opinions, and even those are subject to change regularly. A leaf shape is ideal, but a wharnie is easier to sharpen to a stupid sharp edge. There is no singular knife that does everything well. I have an OPINEL 8 slim stainless in my bag with my Ti Spork for food. I have my Dfly for 90% of my daily cutting needs. I have a Wenger Micro toolbox for scissors and tools, as well as a Pioneer. That provides me with a tiny narrow awl, a larger more robust awl, serrated scissors, a small blade, 2 medium blades, a larger blade with the Opinel and a bunch of pry tools. Carry a SAK and save your primary knife for cutting. You might need a sharp knife in a jiffy, and wish you didn't use it to scrape paint a few minutes ago!

johnny five likes this.
  14. Mgj48

Mgj48 Empty Pockets

For me it is a VG-10 stretch. Can't warm up to anything small or say smaller than a 4" handle and prefer 3 to 3.5" blade. Smaller that that doesn't fit my hand well.

15. greenmountainbooks

"This is a "blondes or brunettes" question. Everyone has their own opinions, and even those are subject to change regularly..."

Absolutely!
    I, for example carried a 5" Opinel for backpacking but eventually became dissatisfied with the extensive two hand operation and the somewhat brittle blade. Even the smaller ones make a lump.
    My main question was one of: for everyday, with some but not always professional appearance (I am willing to accept that you might change knives with your clothes). I like a tough blade, a reliable locking mechanism and preferably one-handed operation. Therefore thin or narrow blades are out of the question for that reason and for less general use, including peanut butter spreading.
    One crucial thing I did not mention, is that I like both light weight and CHEAP. I have lost tons of pocket knives over the years, some were stolen others just lost, and I just cannot risk big dollars on an item that may go away rapidly.
    I do like the new high tech plastic handles for both light weight, toughness and cost reduction. Aluminum handles are OK if they are not too thick and heavy. The Spyderco imitators are decent but the hole collects crud (and food particulate). The ones I tried by S&W and Cutting Horse had too soft a blade and wore down quickly.
    I do not like too fine a point because of durability and the lack of spreading ability. I have used clip points but came to find them old-fashioned in appearance. I am open to serrations.
    For sure, there is no final perfect answer, but the discussion is the point, right? And its fun. Why else does this forum exist?
    What if I said there was another criteria of say, $15?

16. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

You seem to have mutually exclusive requirements.

Did you actually want help with a knife choice?

17. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Sanrenmu 710, or any Sanrenmu, Enlan, or Ganzo knife that suits your fancy. Most are easily under $20, the 710 can be had for $12 or so.