1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best scissors on a smallish multi tool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Vartz04, Feb 26, 2017.

1. TankerSpec

TankerSpec Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Micra here. If excellent scissors are what you're looking for, nothing beats the Micra. This is one of the few multitools built around the scissors as opposed to them being an afterthought or addition to the tool. I use mine daily and they always perform as needed. Some of the larger SAKs do have nice scissors, but again, they tend to be an afterthought and pretty small. The Style CS has a very similar design, but I have found they don't work quite as well as the Micra. I have also noticed less quality control on the CS line than LM's regular line of multitools. On a side note, the Micra is the longest continuously produced LM on the market, so they certainly got it right the first time.[​IMG][​IMG]

-JB

2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Big Micra fan here. I’ve been carrying this one for 20 years, and it still looks and works great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For its size, the Micra can do a lot of work.
    The screwdrivers get a lot of use around the house and grounds.
    I just installed our window air conditioners using the Micra only.

[​IMG]
    All the implements on the Micra can be extended, but only the ph screwdriver on the Squirt. Unbelievable how useful that can be.

[​IMG]
    Scissors; no comparison. Note the folded tweezer on the Micra.

[​IMG]
    Micra has a ruler, micro screwdriver, and tweezers, the Squirt has none of those. Of course, the Squirt has pliers, so it is also useful, but if I need pliers, it is usually for some job that needs larger ones. Usually, the Micra is paired with my Rebar or some other full size MT, so I almost always have good pliers on me.

[​IMG]
    One negative on the Micra is the sharp edges on the fasteners, which causes it to chew its way out of my 5th pocket. The leather slip finesses that, but it makes for an extra step when taking it out and putting it away.

#42 znapschatz, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Faddy Daddy likes this.
  3. Bdon

Bdon Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Style CS. I paired it with a Skeletool for a couple of years now. I finally retired them after I used them for an unintended purpose and dulled them. I couldn't get th to cut right afterwards. So they got swapped for a plier head.
    I will likely buy another set to replace them soon.
    The Micra has equally great scissors but I didn't care for the knife position in the Micra. With such a small blade i found it a bit less useful in that respect. You can't go wrong with with one though.
    Vic scissors are hard to beat as well. I feel they do better with dinner materials or fabrics. Where as the leatherman's did better with harder material.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Bdon: FYI. I've seen several posts on edcf discussing how to sharpen up scissors such as those found on MT or SAK. I haven't had to do it myself yet, but the posters were pretty positive. Technique was to take some kitchen aluminum foil; fold up so you have several layers (sorry, don't recall how many) and use the scissors to cut through the foil. Guess the foil works as a hone... Try searching on here.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I've always found Victorinox Swiss Army Knife scissors to be very satisfactory.

6. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

I actually love my SAK, I carry a separate set of small pliers because I find having the pliers separate from the other tools is more useful...

7. 313

313 Uber Prepared

My vote goes for the Style CS over Micra. Between the Micras, Styles and Squirt S's that I own Style's scissors are actually thickest and sturdiest. I find it also has the best ergonomics when pushing hard on the handles. That and the knife blade positioning plus the carabiner makes it my weapon of choice.

8. znapschatz

I like the CS, and got one to try out as a possible replacement for the Micra, but after a trial period, I went back to the Micra. Multi-tools are always a compromise, and I find the Micra offers the most utility than the others at the expensive of ergonomics and sturdiness of the scissors, although in twenty years I have yet to bend or break the scissor blades on mine. In that length of time, I'm pretty well used to its characteristics, so it's still Micra for me.

313 likes this.
  9. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

SOG Crosscut? Anyone?. I like it. I am definitely a LM fan (I own 5 LM tools, not as many as other forum members) and usually I find enough functionality from the LM scissors, but I find the SOG Crosscut to be a very good scissor for its size and due to the SOG compound leverage it really acquires cutting power.
    Keychain tool, light and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I agree, I'd say that they are the best actually.:)

dmattaponi, A.B. and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

+100 The micra scissors are significantly larger than the sak and much better in my opinion. A micra makes my edc always, I just wish the tweezers were better.

znapschatz likes this.
  12. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I have a Micra as well, and yes, the scissors are good. It's the rest of the tool that doesn't thrill me (knife too small, no dedicated phillips, don't need a fingernail tool, or the tiny driver/opener, etc.,), and so I prefer the SAK with it's very functional scissors and more useful knife and robust tool set over carrying the Micra. I do like the old school construction of the Micra over many of the newer Leatherman tools with colored scales.

Moshe ben David and znapschatz like this.
  13. znapschatz

Tweezers are a bit skinny, but they do function, and they'll never get lost unless you lose the Micra. Everything on a multi-tool is a compromise.

14. znapschatz

I finesse that by carrying both a SAK and a Micra ;) . But the Micra alone is more useable than you'd think. Just because I'm too lazy to fetch the proper tool and it's always on me, I have used it for projects usually calling for larger m-ts, or even dedicated tools. I installed our window air conditioners the last two years using only the Micra, including the non-dedicated driver that performed well enough; assembled furniture with it; have opened countless bottles with the cap lifter; when away from my regular nail kit, smoothed my nails with the file; measured small things with the ruler and even had success tweezing with that skinny thing. Over decades I have changed out my edc several times over as needs have changed or improved model Leathermen have justified replacement, but the Micra remains the one constant in my pocket load. It's small size is limiting, but as a supplementary tool, it is still the best.

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. glssman

glssman Empty Pockets

Best scissors on MT for me is the Fiskars scissors on my Gerber MP600 MP400 and Diesel.

16. Formidable Tool

Formidable Tool Empty Pockets

You might want to check out this video by the Late Boy Scout.

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Formidable Tool: Thanks for posting the video -- very informative. I've gone to it on YouTube and bookmarked it for my reference, that's how useful I thought it was!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. Formidable Tool

Formidable Tool Empty Pockets

Yeah no problem. I've known about the video for a long time, it was helpful to me also, when I was first getting into multi-tools.