1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best scissors on a smallish multi tool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Vartz04, Feb 26, 2017.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Compliment? SAK Classic, Midnight Manager, or Esquire. Hook it onto your keys and forget about it.
    Replacement? Juice S2

2. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

LM XE-6

3. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Style PS as a complement to a SAK. Small Pliers and scissors and you can take it places you can't legally take a SAK.

Another option would be instead of carrying a second multi-tool, carry a pair of folding scissors like Slip-N-Snips. They're small enough to fit in a wallet.

LM Wingman is a good, cheap multitool with decent scissors.

5. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I carried a SAK Classic or a Rambler just for the scissors and have always been disappointed. The scissors on my Gerber Dime beat them by a thousand miles!

6. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Vic scissors are the best, very useful on the larger SAKs, but I’ve never cared for the tiny ones on the 58mm varieties. They are much too size limited, good for trimming nose hair or other itty bitty stuff, but not much else. Overall, I prefer the scissors on the Micra; not quite SAK standards, but good enough for most purposes (including nose hair) and much more versatile. I even trimmed my hedges with them once :img_tag_smiley:just for fun (at least 2 square feet of them :) .)

#26 znapschatz, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    A.B. likes this.
  7. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I agree. I've never seen a better set of scissors on a SAK or multi tool.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

A.B. likes this.
  8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Well, another vote for the skissors on a SAK Classic SD! For being tiny, they work about as awesome as I've seen.

Now, as far as for a dedicated (or relatively dedicated) 'skissor' tool is concerned, my vote would go for the LM Micra. That is the handiest dang tool sometimes! Not sure if LM makes those anymore though.

9. znapschatz

Yes, they are still in the Leatherman catalogue. Some years ago, they tried to replace it with the Squirt S4, a more elegant version “keychain” tool, but people kept buying the Micra, so they were stuck with both in their line. Frankly, I never cared for the S4, so I gifted it (palmed it off) to my wife, who hates the Micra, finds it too “industrial” for her liking, and she does have a point. The Micra has some sharp edges, and is a bit fiddly to open and close. She loves the Squirt, uses it a lot, but I’m the tool guy in the family, and I find all the implements on the Micra are better - sharp cut screwdrivers, much better bottle opener, attached tweezer, a bit narrow, but not as springy and they’ll never get lost. I’ve had it so long that the necessity to open it for access is something I don’t even think about. My only complaint about the Micra is that it keeps trying to chew its way out of my watch pocket, so I carry it in a leather slip, formerly available from Leatherman. I’ve had mine since 1997 and used to carry it as a complement to my Super Tool, a combo I used exclusively for 9 years. I replaced the Super Tool with a Charge TTi some while back, but still use the Micra. It often takes the place of dedicated tools. Last season when I installed our window air conditioners, it was the only tool I needed.

10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

@znapschatz...yeah, I never really liked the Squirt either. Didn't seem like the scissors worked very good at all...at least on mine. The Micra scissors work great! And, it's amazing how handy a pair of dedicated scissors are; I probably use the scissors as much or even more often than my knife.

The knife on the Micra is pretty crappy, but I've always got another knife on me if I'm carrying that anyway.

11. znapschatz

Yes, I agree on the Squirt scissors, and it wasn’t just your sample. They were the same on several I tried, but for some reason, my wife found them okay on hers (formerly mine.) But the knife on the Micra isn’t that bad, especially after a lot of sharpening. After a few years of sharpening on both sides instead of keeping the chisel grind, it developed a second bevel of sorts, and now cuts a lot better. Like you, I almost always use another blade I have on me, but the few times I've used the Micra knife, it did well enough.

12. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

I second the manager. Such a useful little SAK.
    I bought it as a complement for my blade, mostly for the scissors and the pen, but tbh some times I don't even carry a blade anymore, I just use the little sucker.

13. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I almost always have my LM Squirt PS4 on me. I don't disagree that the scissors are not the greatest. But I have found that I actually use the small pliers a bit more often, which rules out the Micra for me. I also have a SAK Classic in my pocket FAK so that does give me a second small scissors. But I would turn to the LM first; easier access with my carry.

I have several SAKs that have larger scissors -- SuperTinker, Huntsman, Pioneer X -- I do like those scissors better. But I'm not always carrying one of those; just a matter of rotation.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

znapschatz likes this.
  15. hotfoot

hotfoot Loaded Pockets

I agree that maybe a Leatherman Juice type tool would almost suit your replacement needs, BUT they don't have a locking blade.

For 2-tool carry, I suggest a Victorinox in addition to your Skeletool. I always carry either a Victorinox Classic or Rambler. I think you can't beat the utility of one of these Victorinox multi-tools for their small size. The scissors on Victorinox multi-tools are one of the best. You get more tools by carrying 2 multi-tools. You get toothpick, tweezers, nail file, and screwdriver. Victorinox even makes a Swiss Card: credit-card style multi-tool if you prefer to carry your tools in that form factor.

For pure cutting purposes, Snip-N-Slip folding scissors are a decent, compact scissors. They fold down into half its usable size for carry purposes. They make different versions with different colors and materials. For the most compact scissors, I acquired a folding scissors from Garrett Wade. It's high quality but fairly expensive. If you want something to cut paper, cord, and other medium duty tasks, it's good. They fold down to about a quarter of its usable size.

Your question reminded me that I keep waiting for Victorinox to come out with a medium size Spirit tool so I can stop carrying my own Leatherman. Victorinox has better quality tools in my opinion. All these different aloxes, scales, and champ-style versions they churn out don't interest me. I think Victorinox would capture even more market share with a medium-size, plier-based multi-tool. I even wish they would open up a special department in their company to build custom multi-tools so we could order the exact tools we like. I wouldn't mind paying extra to get only the tools I want on a multi-tool. And I probably wouldn't just want one custom tool either. Maybe different ones for work and casual, different ones to try out for different situations. It would be interesting to play with different tool combinations.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@hotfoot: I also think it would be great if Victorinox had a special department for custom multi-tools. I'm not holding my breath though. Victorinox is the epitome of a high-volume consumer goods manufacturer. Their business model is very heavily oriented toward volume, volume, volume; and they strive to automate or semi-automate as much as possible.

If you haven't seen it, check out this video:

It will give you a better understanding of why they do some of the things they do!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Stylus CS, (NOT the PS) they are in the pliers' spot on the CS and well built. The ones on the PS are OK, but are of the fold out type, loose but serviceable.
    [​IMG]

18. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Surprised no one has mentioned the Spirit X. Very pocketable, excellent tools (including scissors) and a much stronger plier than the Skeletool. I've tried Pioneers (including the X) a couple of times now, but find the Spirit X way more useful, and really don't notice the difference in my pocket.

I have a couple of Micras and use them all of the time - the scissors are better than the smaller Victorinox versions for stuff like zip ties, but nowhere near as good for anything fine or detailed, even if freshly sharpened. Spirit scissors are robust like the Micra, but much better machined, and handle fine and heavier cutting tasks with equal ease.

znapschatz likes this.
  19. znapschatz

I respect the Spirit more than I like it, but I found the scissors frustratingly small and doesn’t open wide enough to provide much more cutting ability than the keychain size Vics. It’s competitors, the Wave and Charge scissors, are also a bit small, but open wider enough for more versatility in use, although a bit less than the Micra. For many years, I used to carry a Super Tool paired with a Micra, an ideal combo for me, but then got seduced into a Charge TTi because of one hand opening. I thought the scissors something of a compromise; smaller but sharper, eventually getting used to them. But I still prefer Micra scissors, and carry one quite often.

20. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

I wanted one of those when I first heard they were making them and finally got one mostly for the scissors. It has been a huge disappointment.

The scissor spring has tweaked and now pops out to either side. Annoying and sometimes painful when it bites my hand. The quality control on the knife is atrocious. The punch has wierd scratches and there were other manufacturing issues. Bought it from the Official Victorinox Store... my 2nd and probably last SAK ever.

I have to find a good supply of Micras.