1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best SAK for all-around EDC?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by sharpguyjp, May 21, 2009.

1. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

To keep it slim, one of the present implements would have to go. Nightlife? (should have read "Nail file," but auto correct insisted, so what can I do? :mad: )

2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I'm okay with the nail file disappearing ;)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Probably toss up between the Ranger and Craftsman. I've done wondrous things with the Craftsman and Ranger.

charlie fox likes this.
  4. Bushcrafter_D.

Bushcrafter_D. Empty Pockets

The Hercules is my favourite for the tools I need. It's in the MP Micro. On my body I've the Trailmaster / Trekker OH plain edge.

Cheers

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

fourSAK likes this.
  5. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

One that I carried for quite a while was a Swisschamp, on the assumption that it has any implement you might need. For several years, it was my only SAK, and I found that in a belt sheath, it was a manageable burden. During those years I used every implement on it except for the small screwdriver on the back spring side for one thing or another. If you are willing to pack something on your hip, the S'champ would come closest to an all-arounder.

However, I'm not convinced there is a best SAK for all-around purposes. Early in life, for 15 years I made do with a Kamp King pocket knife without a thought of "Gee, I wish it had a (whatall) implement on it." It was all I had, could either do the job or not, and if not, I improvised, when possible. That was okay, because my needs were simpler then. When the time came to replace the KK, I had learned of Swiss Army Knives, so I got one (Wenger, I don't remember the model) and was immediately impressed. The build quality plus the extras opened up a new appreciation for what a multi-tool can do. During seasons when I am outdoors a fair amount, the OH Trekker is best for me. But I also have the Swisschamp, a Super Tinker and Sportsman that each fill a particular niche. And no matter what other SAK I have on me, there is always a Rambler in my 5th pocket. Once you "get it," there's no going back.

fourSAK and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Another vote for the Compact.

7. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

8. fourSAK

fourSAK Loaded Pockets

Pioneer X, alox with scissors is nice for about Town in my area.
    Trekker is my top choice for the woods.
    Champion Plus for around home.
    Manager usually tags along everywhere.
    Spirit X in edc bag.

O_G likes this.
  9. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Well, now we've got the Pioneer X ... and for me, Pioneer is better than Cadet ... awl kicks file ... :)

sc00ts, Moshe ben David and fourSAK like this.
  10. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

Give me an 84mm Small Tinker with Scissors, and I'll say it is the best pocket tool ever.

11. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I have the Hercules - but it is BIG. Still has the big four tools I like, though knife, saw, scissors, pliers, plus all the rest for good measure.

12. oxford_guy

oxford_guy Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Rambler (got a nice burgundy alox version from Swiss Bianco) - small blade, scissors, bottle opener (which works) and small Phillips screwdriver (incredibly usedful), nail file/small flat bladed screwdriver (also works on larger Phillips screws). Or the Manager (adds a retractable pen), BUT combined with a larger EDC knife - I have various on rotation e.g. Spyderco Urban (Elmax steel version), Spyderco Pingu (K390 steel version), Victorinox 07 Soldier, Victorinox (blue alox) Bantam, and now a Chris Reeve small Sebenza 21 - which one I put in my pocket depends on the situation for the day.

Rambler/Manager goes in the coin pocket, the larger knife in a main pocket.

Having said that, the new Pioneer X looks hard to beat as a good all-rounder - if I didn't have my Soldier, I'd probably get one. Alox cadet is also never a bad choice, if wanting something smaller/lighter/thinner (or the Bantam if going really minimal - the combi bottle opener/can opener/screwdriver tool is actually very useful and the main blade size is still usable).

O_G, fourSAK and Redneck Bear like this.
  13. Redneck Bear

Is the combo bottle opener/can opener/screwdriver useable as a phillips screwdriver as well? Because I use my Huntsman/Camper/Spartan small screwdriver on phillips screws all the time ...

14. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Yup. I do it all the time with my Ranger.

15. Redneck Bear

But the Ranger has a "normal" can opener. The combo tool on Bantam is different ... it doesn't look like the Bantam combo tool could be able to unscrew phillips screws ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. oxford_guy

Yes it is, depending on the size of the screw, you just insert it at an angle. It's not as good as a dedicated phillips, but works in a pinch

fourSAK and Redneck Bear like this.
  17. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

My apologies then. I stand corrected.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  18. fourSAK

fourSAK Loaded Pockets

The bantam's combo tool also opens cans differently too. You make the initial puncture and work backwards towards you, where as the can opener on the Ranger, you make the initial puncture and work forwards away from you. They both work good, but different!

Redneck Bear likes this.
  19. oxford_guy

The style on the Ranger (same as on Pioneer, Farmer, original Soldier etc.) is a little easier to open cans with, but they both work well enough

fourSAK and Redneck Bear like this.
  20. ThurstyUSMC

ThurstyUSMC Loaded Pockets

I carry the same Vic Compact every day, it's the best EDC in my opinion. Got the right amount of tools but it's not too bulky, though I'd prefer a Philips head to the bottle opener, life is about compromises. For weeks I've been thinking about removing the plus scales and going to some slick custom scales with not toothpick/tweezer/pen then today my wife used the pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.