1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best SAK for all-around EDC?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by sharpguyjp, May 21, 2009.

1. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

I like the tinker deluxe for EDC, the scissors and pliers works for me and actually replaced my Swiss tool in my daily rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

i personally consider the one of the german army the best. not to small not too big. easy to handle. swisschamp is my favorite but a bit big for edc. !!

thedrivingman likes this.
  3. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

The German army knife is basically Vic's OH Trekker, my favorite, except it doesn't provide toothpick and tweezers, and the scales are different. Aside from looks, is there some handling difference you prefer with the GAK?

Last edited by znapschatz, Oct 6, 2016
    jocsen likes this.
  4. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

Yeah, you are right about the toothpick and tweezers. I think is more comfortable to handle that the swisschamp for example. Much thinner

5. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Minichamp or manager for me most days. It can hack into packaging, tighten a screw (even a Phillips one!!!) or indeed loosen one. File a nail. Scissors just in case. If I'm out and about I might take a cadet out with me and I'm giving consuderation to a pioneer X but I'm not sure I can justify it.

6. oxford_guy

oxford_guy Loaded Pockets

One of the problems with the larger locking SAKs is that none of them are legal to carry in a number of European countries, including the UK, France and Denmark, as well as some others...

7. znapschatz

So they would be NG for EDC, but surely could be used at home for yard work, or taken along for camping or countryside day trips, for which purposes those kinds of knives are permitted, I believe. They are kind of large for casual carry, anyway.

8. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Section 139 is the pertinent section of UK law. Fixed & Locking blades are OK for work,sport or religion. Otherwise a no-no.
    Incidently any SAK otherthan a classic sized is, I am given to understand, is illegal in Denmark. 1.5" limit I understand. Bad as Chicago, which is saying something.

9. znapschatz

This is from Wikipedia:

In Denmark, fixed-blade knives are legal to own if the blade is no longer than 12 cm (4.75 inches). Blades over this length may only be legally owned if the possessor has a legitimate reason for carrying the knife or a special collector's permit. However, such knives are still generally illegal to carry in public, whether on one's person or in a vehicle, unless transported in such a manner as to prevent ready access by the owner (lockbox, locked trunk, etc.) Folding, non-lock blade knives are legal to carry if the blade length does not exceed 7 cm (2.756 in). Locking knives and knives over 7 cm must be transported in public so as not to allow ready access by the owner. Knives with blades that may be opened with one hand (even if the one-hand opening mechanism has been removed), automatic-opening knives (switchblades), push daggers, gravity knives, disguised knives (belt-buckle knife, sword cane, etc.) and knives with ready access by the wearer (neck or belt knives, boot knives, etc.) are illegal to own or possess. Multi-tools featuring one-hand opening blades are also illegal to own or possess.[9] Owning throwing knives and throwing in private or public is subject to permissions.

10. oxford_guy

In the UK you are allowed to have fixed/locking blades at home or on other private property (like a campsite!) if you have permission, or a(very) legimate reason (i.e. not just for cutting an apple...)

In the UK you are allowed one-handed opening knives such as the (excellent) Spyderco Urban, thankfully. Locking blades on multitools are not legal, though I guess you might be given some leeway on that if it's clear you need to use the tool (I didn't want to risk this, so bought a Leatherman Knifeless Fuse).

If you wave around even a SAK in public in a threatening manner, though, that will be classed as using an offensive weapon.

11. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

That's pretty funny coming from a place where I regularly see people carrying .357 Magnums in Walmart.

12. znapschatz

About 11 years ago, I spent a month in England; London and Essex. Prepping for the trip, I looked up your knife laws, and outfitted myself accordingly. I took with me a Swisschamp and a PST. During my time there, I did have occasion to use one or the other in public settings, and nobody seemed in the slightest disturbed, or even much interested, including the law. OTOH, I seldom have reason to wave a SAK around in public in a threatening manner, anyway :D . But I always behave myself when out and about as to not draw unwanted attention, and so far, that has worked for me.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. znapschatz

Maybe where you live, but I have never seen anyone carrying a Magnum in Ohio Walmarts. Maybe some or many customers were packing, but not openly. Our's is an open carry state, but you still don't see a lot of it here.

14. oxford_guy

Different now from 11 years ago, Police are more bothered about knives now (and public more edgy) due to high profile incidents involving these over the last few years (though almost all not with folders, go figure!)

Last edited by oxford_guy, Oct 6, 2016
    znapschatz likes this.
  15. znapschatz

Ouch! Sorry about that. Knife attacks in your country have been news in ours, so we are aware of them. Everybody on edge seems to be a global thing these days.

16. oxford_guy

it's sad that the >0.01% minority mean that everyone suffers from stupid laws, though - they're not going to stop someone with a sharpened large kitchen knife going on the rampage... A gun is a weapon, but a knife is a tool for 99.9%+ of users.

17. oxford_guy

BTW going back to the original question, if you can get hold of a used one (hard outside of the USA) or get someone to make you one (requires both a Compact and an Explorer), a Yeoman makes for a great tool-dense 3 layer SAK. You can also make up a Climber from the leftover parts.

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I just can't help myself... '... on edge ... ' Great choice of words! :rofl_revamped:

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

19. jaya_man

jaya_man Loaded Pockets

My vote is for the Yeoman (Compact + inline phillips/magnifying glass) and Minichamp... Yeoman is perfect for urban edc... Minichamp stays on the keychain...

[​IMG]

For one who likes the outdorors, just add the woodsaw and awl... walaaa

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. oxford_guy

The Yeoman is my favourite celidor SAK, the difficulty is that they're not made any more, so you either have to hunt down a vintage one (or one of the discontinued more modern Swiss Bianco ones), buy a custom one, or get someone to make you one out of an Explorer and Compact...

jaya_man likes this.