1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best SAK for all-around EDC?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by sharpguyjp, May 21, 2009.

1. sharpguyjp

sharpguyjp Empty Pockets

Been looking around for a new multi tool, my leatherman kick just doesnt have what i need on it. I think i am deciding on a SAK because of the tweezers/toothpick/scissors combo i desperately need. Anyone have any recommendations on what model? A model with no blade would be best, as i would like to carry it in school (apparently the honors student is going to go on a massacre with his 2" SAK...) but all good EDC multi tool recommendations would be much appreciated :)

Thanks all!

-Jon P

2. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

3. nezza1694

nezza1694 BST/Marketplace ban

What about a SAK Classic? Paired with your Kick it would be great! If not try the Fuse,Blast.

4. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

If you don't need pliers, go for a Micra, and add a SAK toothpick (or wooden, sealed toothpicks) in the handle spaces. :)

5. pjbates3

pjbates3 Empty Pockets

I love my SAK Compact. It has the scissors/tweezers/toothpick but also has a ball point pen.

CootShooter, O_G and Ludwell01 like this.
  6. EDChris

EDChris Loaded Pockets

I have found the SAK Rambler or Manager to be the best EDC for me. The difference between the Manager and Rambler is that the Manager has a pen instead of a toothpick. They both have a blade (sorry), scissors, can opener/phillips screwdriver, nail file/flat head screwdriver, tweezers. And they are small enough to vanish in your pocket or your keychain.

7. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

There are a couple of bladeless models produced by Victorinox and Wenger. Victorinox made a model called "Bladeless" which I do not believe is in production anymore. It had a nail file/screwdriver, scissors, and bottle opener/cap lifter and toothpick and tweezers. Victorinox also makes the SwissCard which contains a removable blade.

Wenger makes a model called the Air Traveler and another one called the Swiss Clipper AT (the AT standing for air travel). Both models contain a pair of scissors, an eyeglass screwdriver, nail file, tweezers, and toothpick. The Swiss Clipper adds a pair of nail clippers to the mix. I have the Swiss Clipper AT and I must admit it functions very well.

To the best of my knowledge these are the only bladeless models which have the features you want. Victorinox and Wenger do not make a full sized tool without the blade (I think it would be awesome if they did though).

8. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

I've got two OHT's that I really love....most everything you'd need for EDC is on it...unless you're McGyver....

9. conquer88

conquer88 Loaded Pockets

Sak victorinox altimeter it has everything ballpen, needle etc.

10. ratbert42

ratbert42 Empty Pockets

I like the small SAKs for a supplemental EDC. I keep a Classic on the sheath with my Leatherman Supertool. I carry a Manager on my keychain. If you don't carry a flashlight, a Midnight Manager adds a small LED light.

billybeans likes this.
  11. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I carry a Vic Super Tinker for EDC for around work. I have a Wenger Crusader on my keychain at all times. If I am going outdoors, I swap the Tinker for a Wenger Backpacker for the saw on it. That, and the Backpacker was my first SAK.

12. conquer88

conquer88 Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss354/conquer88_2009/sak_oakley2.jpg[/img] all around edc sak new silvertech huntsman with solingen k2 flashlight all in 1

13. mdsmith

mdsmith Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking the OHT might be perfect for me. I usually carry a multi tool and a folder since I don't like multi tool blade too much. With the OHT that's all I would need. I just wish they had scissors.

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'd have to throw my vote in for the Compact, because it is so, well, compact. :thinking:

It has a lot of great tools in a very pocketable format.

MrOG and Ludwell01 like this.
  15. ruzark

ruzark Banned

I like the SAK Classic. It's small and has everything I need in a SAK.

16. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I like the farmer, but you don't get scissors, tweezers or toothpick If you want scissors and tweezers, the Leather Squirt S4 would be my choice though the SAK mini champ is also a contender.

Phil

17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

The best SAK for all-around EDC is two SAKs; a Swisschamp and a Rambler. Whatever the "champ" doesn't have, you don't need, and the Rambler has the rest ;D .

18. TrickyVic

TrickyVic Loaded Pockets

For me the perfect SAK has been a Alox Cadet. I've had the itch to buy more SAK's but realized that nothing suits me better.

MrOG likes this.
  19. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

Leatherman Wave :lolhammer:

Tony Sal likes this.
  20. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

For me, it is the Mini-champ or Midnight Manager- pen, light, good tools, etc. (although I like the tweezers!) The Rambler and Compact are good also.

As for bladeless- I'd probably just snap/grind the blade off. I think the blade stump would confirm that there is no blade in there.

billybeans likes this.