1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best portable power strip, or single-to-multi-outlet adapter.

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Jack_Wood, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

What it says on the tin. I need something I can throw in the laptop bag that will let me plug more than one thing into an outlet. I'd say the primary purpose is so I can share one outlet with several other laptop users in class or a cafe with insufficient power supply.

Cool tools has recommended me the following two:

Monster To-Go 4 outlet travel power strip.

Yellow Jacket 5-outlet adapter.

I don't think I'm seriously considering the yellow jacket, since it's bulky and lacks its own extension cord. But does anyone have any better recommendations than the Monster travel strip?

2. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I don't have any experience with either of these power strips, but there's another by Belkin which is similar. Just search up "Belkin travel surge protector" on Amazon and you'll find it. Unfortunately it also lacks its own extension cord and plugs directly into the wall outlet, but it has three outlets and two USB ports for charging things that can charge from USB, which I think is pretty nice.

3. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Agree;this one.

:evilgrin:

4. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

Came here to suggest the belkin and saw it already had been, so +2 for the belkin

5. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I like both of those. Hard to decide--I like the extension cord of the Monster, but I think the surge protection and USB charger's of the Belkin would be useful. Thanks for the links.

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I have both the monster 4 outlet strip and the belkin with the USB ports. They are both good, the problem with the Belkin is that if you have an "iDevice" the output of the USB port isn't enough to charge the devices. (iPods will charge, but iPads and iPhones require more) so be aware of that limitation.

Also, the plastic cover of the Monster that goes over the wall plug is doublestick taped on and will fall off easily leaving a mess on that connector. :)

7. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

8. ChopperCFI

ChopperCFI Loaded Pockets

I have the Monster power strip and like it for travel. However, mine has an extremely bright blue light that makes it hard for me to sleep.

9. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I love this one, except for the light.

10. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

I have the Monster and don't have an issue with the blue LED in the plug. In fact, i kind of prefer it during travel as it helps illuminate the really dark hotel rooms some for those midnight runs...

BTW, the one I have is the four port. I thought about picking up the three with USB, but couldn't justify it as if I need to charge something, I'll plug it into my Netbook or my external USB port if need be. Also, I have a USB power port on my power supply for the netbook.

11. yenemy

yenemy Loaded Pockets

So, this is what I use, and have had for about 3 years:

http://i.imgur.com/FFppc.jpg

There's one more outlet on the back side.

I think it cost me a buck or two at Radio shack or Fry's. I don't know where you are, but in the States a lot of these have one "wide" prong that doesn't quite fit in some international outlets, so I filed it down.

The only catch is, if you have any plugs with 3 prongs, it won't work.

It has come in insanely useful at cafes, youth hostels, etc. Tough, tiny, cheap, and effective... it pretty much goes wherever I do.

Edit:
    I would also avoid any of these things that don't have a flexible cord, however short, that goes to the wall socket, and any of those with a 3-prong wall plug (unless you need it). You never know what situation the wall outlet's going to be in -- it might have a huge Apple power brick hanging off it, or be wedged halfway behind a cupboard, or there's some international traveler with a giant universal adapter attached to it. Any of those would mean you can't use one of those 'brick' adapters, or would mean your 4-outlet adapter is suddenly a 3-outlet adapter, because you need to plug someone else's stuff into it first.

12. rcpylon

rcpylon Empty Pockets

I just carry a heavy duty multi head extension cord. It's like the cheap 2 prong ones but is 3 prong and a little heavier on the wiring.

13. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I've looked around a bit more, and also found this alternative to the Belkin unit: "GE 58368 3-Grounded Outlet Adapter". I like that it's both more compact than adapters that lay out their outlets in a strip, and should be better at fitting big wall warts.

As it happens, I already have a 2-port USB mains power adapter (it's also a high-power unit, so can charge stuff like iPads). It would be convenient to not have to carry both around, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money over the other tap.

I also found these: power strip liberators. This 5-pack was the best deal for such an item that I could find online. I figure with one of these and one of the adapters above, I can avoid the problems yenemy brings up, and have more flexibility, such as when I only need to add one outlet.

14. enix

enix Empty Pockets

15. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

Just a note on the belkin, it does charge my iphone, not an ipad though. + whatever for the belkin, i keep it in my overnight bag

16. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Enix, I'm a fan of the powersquid, actually, but I think it is portable only in the sense that it is not generally nailed down.

The Belkin gets a lot of love here, and I'll have to remember that for the future, but I ended up buying the cube-shaped 3-outlet adapter and a short extension cord. I'm very pleased with how little space the arrangement takes up, tucked beneath my laptop in its bag. I don't mind giving up the built-in USB ports, either. However, I do wish I'd realized that the Belkin includes some surge protection, and this GE thing doesn't.

17. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I work in IT and I carry the Belkin Travel Power Strip. I don't know about iDevices, but it charges Android phones well enough.

18. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I feel like I should add a +1 to the suggestion to carry a small flexible extension cord with whatever you choose, because you never know what that open outlet is going to be behind, and three extra feet of power cord just comes in :censored: handy more often than not.

19. Rendez

Rendez Empty Pockets

I found a knock off like the Belkin plug in the wall thing. I use it for work and does the job. It will charge my iPad but takes a bit. Works great for me and only cost 20.00 bucks.

20. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I use several of the Monster power strips in my home plus a power management system in my home theatre. I bought the Monster Outlets To Go with USB.