1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best place to purchase a watch online?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ULF, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ULF

ULF Empty Pockets

I would like to purchase a Seiko SKX007J but not sure where to purchase online. Seems prices have gone up a lot this year.

thanks

2. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

I would personally go to an authorized dealer.
    There's lots of replica watches out there.

ULF likes this.
  3. brand0n

brand0n EDC Junkie

Have personally used Jomashop and longislandwatch Good experience but people have had issues with customer service issues dealing with warranty. These are grey market so it’s not warrantied through seiko. This is my understanding and hopefully more knowledgeable people will chime in. Anyways good luck. It’s a great watch. If you don’t end up going with the skx take a look at the orient mako line. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elmiro Dungfoot, flphotog and ULF like this.
  4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My Seiko 5 came from the Watchery, best price on my SNK803K2 a few years back.

ULF likes this.
  5. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

I'll second the recommendation for LongIslandWatch. Marc has always been great to deal with. The 007J is one of the first items to show up when you sort by brand looking for Seiko. And I also really like the Orient line, but would also suggest looking at some of the Islander's Marc started to offer now that the SKX are discontinued.

Elmiro Dungfoot and ULF like this.
  6. Max.

Max. Loaded Pockets

Excellent recommendation. The Islander watches offer more "bang for your buck" than the SKX, as they have a hacking (Seiko) movement, sapphire crystal, and a better bracelet. If you're set on the SKX, Marc is a Seiko AD.

ULF likes this.
  7. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

And now for the obligatory photo.

OP, sorry for the thread derailment.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Elmiro Dungfoot, ULF and echo victor like this.
  8. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

The J version is tougher to find today. There is really not a best place to buy these anymore as everyone has raised prices since they’ve been discontinued.
    eBay probably has more of them than any one seller and it’s a fairly safe place to buy as returns are never questioned. Buy the seller and not the deal is probably the best advice when shopping eBay.
    Creation Watches will occasionally have a sale but not certain they stock the J version. As mentioned the Islander line from LIW is a better vfm watch with the upgrades but don’t think he can offer the original J model.
    Good luck.

Marskindri likes this.
  9. Marskindri

Marskindri Loaded Pockets

very well said

jcombs likes this.
  10. Gavinda

Gavinda Empty Pockets

Don’t discount the Heildallr and San Martin ‘homage’ watches. I was looking for an skx and was put off by the price jump. A chap I know who likes watches recommended the Heimdallr version. Having looks at comments on watchuseek and others, it’s seems the chines homages actually have better quality control and still with the same nh35 movement.

11. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

I'll second longislandwatch, I've purchased from them a few times and never had any issues.

12. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

I have made several purchases from Long Island Watch and their service is impeccable. The Kamasu RA-AA0001B19A might be something to look at in the Orient line. Marc's Island line has a number of interesting watches you might like. Best of luck with your purchase decision.:dance:

13. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I've never bought a watch from them, but I will say this; Jomashop has probably one of the best websites for looking at watches that I've ever seen. You can put in search criteria to really show you the watches for you without having to sort through 10,000 other watches you're not interested in. It blows away Amazon's search criteria engine (not saying much here). Like for me, case size is very important because I have a really big wrist, so anything smaller than 45mm (really 46-47mm) looks like a ladies watch on me. Now, lots of websites will let you sort by case size, but what Jomashop's website lets you do is then narrow by feature. So, for example, I like GMT watches so you can narrow by that criteria, and so on and so on. It's a really nice website and much appreciated by me. And their prices seem pretty reasonable as well.

Again, I haven't bought anything from them (yet), but I very likely would if the right watch showed up.

14. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Have to agree. I wanted a Seiko 6105-8110 (the Capt. Willard watch from Apocalypse Now) but the prices were fairly high for a vintage piece in decent shape, and as I learned with my 6139-6005 blue Pogue vintage parts can be just as pricey and hard to find. I found out about the Heimdallr "Sharkey" 6105 homage and have been nothing but pleased with it. It uses a genuine NH35 and the fit and finish is great. Great boutique watches.

Gavinda likes this.