1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Pen Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by richiefriday, Dec 6, 2007.

1. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

I should also mention....

I have both Retro 51s Hex-o-matic (pen with a v5 refill and pencil), as they are my "more professional" pens for the office...but before those were ordered, I bought a couple Cap-O-matics (matte black and matte desert tan). The Cap-O-Matics have been my daily use pen since even receiving the Hex-O-Matics.

Just my $0.02

2. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

I've used a bullet space pen almost everyday for 5 years straight. I haven't found anything better for my needs. Without the clip it rides in my pocket unnoticed, it writes on anything. Working construction it writes on concrete, steel, over grease and anything else and also works in the extreme heat and cold unlike any other pen.

3. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I was convinced. I bought a Zebra F-701 today for $7. At that price, it's a steel. But I agree - Space pen for anything more taxing than office work.

4. Jon Sarche

Jon Sarche Empty Pockets

I'm getting into this thread REALLY late, but I have $0.02 I'd like to kick in. Best ever? I couldn't say. I love pens, and tend to own them for a long time. For years, I've bought high-quality pens because I love the engineering (same reason I love mechanical watches), and the utility. My favorite lately? The Precision Press ballpoint by Tuff-Writer. In fact, I recently sold a Surefire EWP-01 to finance the Tuff-Writer. I liked the Surefire a lot, but the click mechanism just works better for me on a pen I use many times per day.

I have a CountyComm Embassy pen that I like to use while traveling, but I don't like the fact I have to hold onto the cap or keep close track of it while I'm writing. I think a really good pen with a cap should have a way to click the cap onto the non-writing end, but other than that, the Embassy has been great.

My Fisher Space Pen matte-black bullet pen is my favorite companion for outdoor activities.

I still own two Rotring old-style 600-series ball point pens that I bought or received as a gift many, many years ago. These are awesome EDC pens -- small, relatively light, tough and highly utilitarian. No way I'd buy one for the prices they're selling for on auction sites these days, but they're terrific pens. I don't have any fountain pens - i never really could get into them, and I have only one rollerball. Ballpoint for me is the way to go, and all my favorite pens these days have Fisher Space Pen refills in them.

If I had to pick one pen to have on the proverbial desert island, it'd be the Tuff-Writer. It just feels solid and good in the hand.

5. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

I second loving the 701

6. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I refuse to use Gel pens, (I don't like the viscocity of the ink, and the relatively slow drying time.) I use a Fisher refill in a Parker Jotter body. Clean look with the brushed SS body, very smooth writing (I have never found anything better.) and they seem to write forever.

low_down likes this.
  7. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Yup.

I made my own 701-special, and the end result is a really classy pen that doesn't cost too much.

As you mentioned, it's a thin steel body with a plastic liner but it's plenty rugged enough for EDC carry. Sure, you can get a titanium tactical pen that's bigger, tougher, and more expensive. But the inexpensive Zebra 701 is tough enough for 99% of what you'd need a tactical pen for anyway, and it's stolen, lost, or damaged you're only out a few bucks.

I use mine (with a Space-Pen cartridge) as my dress pen.:cool:

For every day use, I'm fond of the Zebra 301, 402, and the Pilot G2. I used to do satellite TV, and I'd always have customers commenting on how nice the G2 wrote. I was very careful about always getting my pen back. ;)

8. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

I just love my new Retro 51 Rollerball!:bounce:

9. Sheepdog56M

Sheepdog56M Loaded Pockets

Did you know you can combine the 402 and the 701 so that the entire pen is metal?

10. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Yeah, just never got around to buying any 402's. :)

11. masada

masada Loaded Pockets

Embassy pen in stainless. The cap problem isn't that bad. I hold the cap in my palm while writing, which allows me to close the pen with one hand.
    Unfortunately, I've been denying how horrible the medium space pen cartridge it came with was. I recently ordered a fine tip refill, and it was a world of difference of how well it wrote.

12. RubberToRoad

RubberToRoad Loaded Pockets

Odd. My experience with pens is that generally the medium points write much better than fine.

So you're saying the fine point fisher is worth grabbing eh?

Sent from my ridiculously large Galaxy Note 2.

13. masada

masada Loaded Pockets

For the fisher, yes.
    Both pens I've used (the other being the fisher bullet) that came with the medium refill had a globby feeling to it, as if it was
    writing in crude oil. Why? I have no idea. The fine refill works well, comparable to a parker.
    So yes. It's worth grabbing. Especially was for me since the embassy took only the fisher.

14. pointoflight

pointoflight Loaded Pockets

My vote goes to the Zebra mini ballpoint pen T-3 or the Zebra Mini Fl-SL pen. The T-3 is 4 inches long and super slim. The FL-SL is a telescoping pen that is shorter than 4 inches when closed. The T-3 fits easily in the spine of your wallet and both write great. Best thing is the price. The T-3 is about 6-7 bucks as I write this and the Fl-SL is $5.50. I think the Fl-SL even takes Fisher refills.

15. pointoflight

pointoflight Loaded Pockets

After trying a True Utility Telepen (lost it after it came off the cap) I decided to put a Zebra 301 compact on my keychain. I took off the clip and grinded the little metal that remained. It's not a bad size at all. Feels fine in my pocket. My recent discovery after searching the Zebra mini ballpoint T-3. That's going to be my journal pen. Very slim and only 4 inches long. I can'at figure out how to put a photo from my computer on here so I picked one from a website that depicts the pen on a key chain. This one retained the clip though. [​IMG]