1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Pen Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by richiefriday, Dec 6, 2007.

1. MadManBro

MadManBro Loaded Pockets

I couldn't agree with you more!
    I got the last box of Uni-Ball Vision Micros left at Staples yesterday. The store was jam packed with back-to-school shoppers and their kids/parents.
    That being said, my CRKT Tao should be delivered from Amazon tomorrow if tracking is to be believed.

eahm likes this.
  2. RubberToRoad

RubberToRoad Loaded Pockets

I've got several pens I like but my longest running and current favorite is the Pentel Energel line. Only fine point I've ever enjoyed writing with. The 7 is just fantastic.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Mighty Max and Ogre like this.
  3. sean

sean Empty Pockets

Uniball Gel Impact 1.0mm and put it in my Render K its the best I have found.

4. Ogre

Ogre Banned

ive been thinking about trying the alloy rt. i cant find a pen that i like the ink better in that the energel pens.........just would like to have a m ore durable body and some weight to it

5. ddh_13

ddh_13 Loaded Pockets

Currently, the only pen I will actually buy more of when they die are Uni-ball Signo 207 (and I found recently that they sell refills, so now I don't even have to pay for the barrel). Only downside is that they're mostly plastic, only the tip and pocket clip are metal (and on closer inspection they may just be 'chromed' plastic), but they write really well, come in boxes of 10 or 12, come in black/blue/red ink, and have done okay carried daily in pockets. And being a leftie, I usually find gel ink really annoying, but these are pretty good for not smearing.

6. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

My current EDC pen is a pilot precise v5rt in black. My main environment is the office, so nothing to difficult for the pen.

Now, I am looking at other options if going outside the office as the v5rt is not the best when it comes to durability.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mooshisho likes this.
  7. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

I don't know if I've said this before in this thread, but its Maxmadco. Period.

8. cave

cave Empty Pockets

I ordered a Zebrapen (actually a few - need to make the postage cost worthwhile).
    Whilst they're fine for writing with, I'm not at all convinced that it is a solid steel barrel - it is far too light to be steel of the thickness shown, and it looks like there is a seam between the knurled section and the barrel.
    I do, however, like the Zebra Expandz pen - solid, same refill as the F-701, the pen feels better in the hand and is smaller in the pocket while still using a full-sized refill.

I agree a good, reasonably priced pen is essential, but I'm going back to a Parker (one with a laquered metal barrel; strong, heavier than the Zebra F-701 and feels sturdier, ball point cartriage writes very well).

I also use a fountain pen; I like the way the Kaweco writes, but have gone back to the Lamy safari due to the huge ink cartridges. I refill these with a 2ml syringe and a blunt needle (much less messy and much easier than using the proprietary fillable cartridge). BTW the Zebra fountain pen is atrocious, a complete waste of money.

mooshisho likes this.
  9. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I syringe fill my cartridges too. I never knew why people liked converters so much. Besides, regular cartridges hold more than converters anyhow. :)

10. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

Right on both counts. Its not solid steel, it has a plastic core. It just looks like it's solid in the picture because the metal wraps around the end of the plastic core. And the knurled section and the barrel are indeed two separate pieces. They're bonded, but pretty easily separated with lateral pressure if the plastic core is first removed by defeating the adhesive bonding it to the steel body with heating. In my experience, removing the plastic core requires more than light heating of the barrel to defeat the adhesive. The steel itself has a thickness I've seen described as equivalent to a .45 shell. I would say this is reasonably accurate.

So the pen itself would not serve as a reasonable substitute for a roofing nail. Nor do I think it would stand up to a protracted multi-minute stabbing contest as others might. But it is, IMO, a reasonably durable steel bodied pen at a comparatively decent price for its value. Mod it with the f-402 SS mod and the Parker Space Pen mod and you have a EDC field pen that is fun (don't judge me) affordable, good looking and reliable.

Last edited by MichiganMan, Oct 4, 2012
  11. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if I've posted in this lengthy thread already, but I've news to report.

For the logest time I was a Caran D'ache 849 ball point pen fan with matching 844 mechanical pencil. I LOVE all things swiss (try to spend my winters there whenever I can). That 844 is still IMHO the best mechanical pencil I've ever owned. Metal pen, nice clip, sleek and simple, retractable nib...just put 2B .7mm leads in it. I also like their Cluch Pencil alot too.

With that said, I jst did the Zebra 701/402 mod with fisher space pen refil .. THIS IS MY NEW BALL POINT! period. This is sturdy enough to take with me everyday anyday. It pains me to say my 849's throne has been usurped, but it's true. Looking forward to trying the 1.6mm refills.

But when I'm at my desk, journaling, or at the studio taking notes with new clients, LAMY Safari with Private Reserve Black Cherry Ink is where it's at. I LOVE this fountain pen. But I feel i need to be delicate if it's in my pocket and what not...unlike the modded 701...but their in two different classes aren't they...;)

I'd also like to put in a nice word for the Stainless Steel refillable Sharpie pens. Though I find the clip hard to use in pants pocket (unlike the 701...the 849 isn't bad) it's SUPER wonderful to write with.

Also, my years ahve also proved a couple of plastic pens to be quite worthy of inclusion.
    - UniBall Jetstream (retractable or cap)
    - Pentel Energize .7mm & .5mm pencil (the best mech pencil under $5 I've ever seen)

AND...I'd like to say all these pens are "Moleskine friendly"...even though I'm phasing out Moleskine and moving into Leuchtturm1917 notebooks.

12. shoeglue

shoeglue Loaded Pockets

Papermate Injoy.

Smoothest pen I've ever used that I don't care if I lose.
    serious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

13. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I like the Retro 51 Pens with a Parker GEL refill. My second choice is any pen that I
    can put a G2 refill in.

14. SeattleSparky

SeattleSparky Loaded Pockets

I have lost two space pens in two months!!! Purchased both new too!!! Pisses me off, I could've bought a decent fountain pen for that dough!!:(

15. Glenn Blanchard

Glenn Blanchard Loaded Pockets

Pilot Precise V5 refills fit perfectly in a Rotring 600 rollerball with zero modifacation for an absolutely killer writing instrument. If you wrap one time around the end of the refill just above the nib with transparent tape it will also work perfectly in a Lamy Swift giving you the most excellent retractable rollerball around.

mooshi likes this.
  16. ErikM

ErikM Loaded Pockets

Lost my first black space bullet after 5 months of use, ordered a red one this time.. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer :(

17. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

This I will have to try. Thanks for the heads-up.

18. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I really want a 600 rollerball, but $150 seems to be the going rate most places. Guess I should start saving my pennies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

19. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I've gone through a good number of pens through the years, fisher space pens, parker jotters, pentel lancelot, pilot g2, goodkind wooden pens,sevral other off brand and discontinued. I bought the zebra 301a a few weeks ago, and for the $$ this pen ( in my opinion) fits the EDC bill perfectly, i havent tried the 701 yet, but i imagine it is very similar just a bit more professional looking. Sooo i get it now, all the countless threads and comments about the Zebra pens....totally justified

20. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I've used an F301 for years. I recently got a F701 to try it out and put a fisher refill in it, but I still find myself going back to the F301 and recently the 301A. I like the small size and diameter of the grip, it fits my small hands better. I love the fine ink, I write very small and any other ink tends to run into itself. I've got a couple space pens that I use every now and then as well but they're not as fine as I'd like them to be. I think I like the F301 a little more than the 301A, the 301A kind of seems like a gimmick to me.