1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Pen Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by richiefriday, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Eric.So

Eric.So Empty Pockets

11 pages.. too long for me to read. However I carry a rOtring 600 on me. machined out of brass.. that thing feels like it could do as a spare axel.

2. 1Guy

1Guy Empty Pockets

Contenders for the Best Pen Ever

Maybe I'll post pics of the bunch later, but I first got into lookin' for a "best pen" after I first got what I thought was almost the best pencil first. It was a gift for college, and an upgrade from a #2 pencil - the Niji Grip 350. It was a "double knock", where you click the top to extend the pencil sleeve first, and then click the mechanism again to extend the lead. And then, to retract the whole sleeve and pencil lead, you push in the clip. So I went from simple wood pencil to a mechanical one that had a protected tip. :)

I later moved on to the Niji Grip 500, and found its siblings - the Y & C (Yasutomo and Co., iirc) Grip 500 and others from Sanford, Alvin and Koh-i-noor - I'll hafta go back and check to see if that's all of 'em. The first non-basic stick pen ballpoint I got was the ballpoint version of the Grip 500, just to complete the set.

The first pen I was impressed with, writing-wise, was the Pentel RSVP. And the first one that I thought was a "spendy" one, which I liked, was the Zebra 605, iirc. I think I moved on to the Zebra 301 from that one after the refill went dry.

The first pen I thought was cool was the black rotring 600 series trio-pen with a knurled grip. And the one I ended up keepin' with me in my pocket was the Fisher Millennium pen (with a long-lasting supply of ink - I've gotten it replaced twice so far with its lifetime guarantee already ;D). About the rotring 600 series - I have a few writing modes and versions. Of the trio-pen, I have the latest Newton style in black and also the Parker Facet in granite grey, too, just to collect its different incarnations.

One pen I really appreciate is the BOMApen D6 with multiple endcaps. You can check them out at the following url: http://www.inklingpen.com

I gotta go, but I'll list other contenders for the "best" pen a little later, and maybe add pics. But, real quick, some I like include the simple one from USUS.berlin (http://www.magnet-pen.com/en/index.php), the Lamy Dialog 2, the Tombow Zoom 2000, and Zebra 701 (and I did the clip and clicker mod - good stuff!)

And hi! Hope you have a happy new year!

:cool:

3. GregBFL

GregBFL Loaded Pockets

I stumbled onto this thread a few days ago and made a quick trip to Walmart/Staples so I could try the Zebra 701 mod. Replacing the ink with Fisher was easy, but when I went to remove the clicker from the 402 things came to a screeching halt. I tried using a rag, rubber bottle gripper and even pliers (protected by rag) and that littler booger wouldn't budge! Next I tried the freezer trick and that didn't work either. I finally found a way that worked for me that was easy and took little to no effort. Some else has probably posted it already but you place the pen in the freezer for 15 minutes or so and as soon as you take it out you take a bic lighter and heat up the stainless steel body at the location of the threads for a couple of seconds. You can then take a rag and just unscrew the clicker portion with ease.

I've tried this method on four different 402's and it works like a charm. Good thing, because it looks so much better with the mod! Unfortunately, I'm now looking at getting more pens ... on my short list is the Fisher X-Mark, Fisher Futura, Lamy Safari and Pentel Graphgear 1000. I really like the Graphgear 1000 because it has a matching pencil as well.

4. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

Is the Fischer refill a drop in replacement for the 701's cartridge? I just picked up a 701 this morning. I'm gonna get some 402's and change out the clickies when I can.

5. Solus

Solus Loaded Pockets

It is almost a drop in replacement. There is a small little clear plastic thing in the tip that you have to take out but other then that it fits fine.

6. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

So far, I've had about 3 or 4 different people try to steal my Zebra F-301, I'm kind of flattered at how many people think it's a great pen, but it is starting to get on my nerves.

7. samuraishot

samuraishot Loaded Pockets

This is cool, I thought that I was the only one who liked the 301 pens too :D

8. samuraishot

samuraishot Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I use the 301 more than my mont blanc that I've had for 12 years. The 301 is so much smoother ;)

9. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Picked up a couple of Lamy M16 Medium ballpoint refills today (the ones that fit the Safari). Lamy appears to have reformulated their black ink to make it a little darker.

10. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

I have tried everything to remove the clicker from the 402 to put on my 701 any ideas.

11. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

pliers.

12. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

It just takes a pair of pliers and patience. The 402 screw thread is a bit smaller in diameter so I fits loosely until you tighten it in the 701 barrel, but once you do, it stays put. I love my all metal 701! Note: the 701 clicker does not fit int he 402 barrel, so you are going to lose a pen.

13. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

my 701 clicker does fit in the 402 i got just fine.

14. tonyp

tonyp Loaded Pockets

O K...Silly question maybe but I try to make a lot of stuff myself.

If you cut down a Bic (which I've just done) what keeps the ink from migrating out?

15. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I assume you're talking about the ink cartridge.
    Pressure. Like putting your finger over the end of a straw to hold liquid inside.
    I bet that 'clear' goo helps too.

Man I Want one of those hinderer's so bad.

16. USMC1

USMC1 Empty Pockets

I strongly agree! Overbuilt, modular, titanium, expensive but worth every cent to me! In comparison to most of the luxury pens available at this price point, I doubt many of them could withstand the abuse the Hinderer could survive. This pen could literally last generations and will no doubt be a coveted treasure to those lucky enough to inherit them.

17. N8

N8 Empty Pockets

Thanks! I use it every day, and there's nothing like it, beyond solid. Definitely an heirloom quality pen, I've been debating creating a dummy cord for it, because I couldn't forgive myself if I couldn't find it... Anyone debating it, I can't recommend the Hinderer Pen enough. Plus it comes with all kinds of cool options. Like a DNA scraper. What's not to like?

18. usmc18

usmc18 Loaded Pockets

The F-301 is hard to beat. However, this is my EDC

[​IMG]

19. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets