1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Pen Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by richiefriday, Dec 6, 2007.

1. joekaveh

joekaveh Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info on the fisher space pen F701 mod. All I did was put a small file inside, twisted and pulled the plastic part of the F701 out.

2. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestion OP, I had an M-301 mechanical pencil in University, which I loved, and recently picked up an F-301 ballpoint pen. I love the weight, helps with writing on notebooks in hand.

3. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I first stuck the pen in the freezer for a while. To remove it I used slip joint pliers with plastic covers for the jaws. They sell them at Sears that fit the Craftsman pliers like a glove. Came right out. I didn't have any problem swaping the clickie units and both pens work great.

4. jonesy

jonesy Empty Pockets

Just tried this, but no go. The G2 cartridge is way too big in diameter, as well as too long. Shame, as it would be a nice mod!

5. jonesy

jonesy Empty Pockets

Quoted the wrong post last time. : :rolleyes:
    Just tried this, but no go. The G2 cartridge is way too big in diameter, as well as too long. Shame, as it would be a nice mod!

6. davidnl

davidnl Loaded Pockets

FYI...I too liked the feel of the 701...but mine actually broke in half quite easily...seems the barrel wall just above the grip is quite thin.
    so now i like the fisher cartridges in an all metal Eversharp brand Astronaut pen. Quite sturdy!

7. Macallan

Macallan Empty Pockets

Hi :)

From top to bottom in the picture;

[​IMG]

1: My personal favorite is the Graf von Faber-Castell Platinum Plated Ball Pen, best pen ever !

2: The Parker Jotter Ballpoint Stainless Steel look nice and writes nice, but feels "cheap".

3. Best "low budget" pen in the world Zebra Stainless Steel F-701 ballpoint.

Keep writing :)

8. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I love the Zebra, and where did you get the top one? I just can't stand the jotter, it does feel cheap and I personally don't think it writes all that well. Both of mine tend to dry up and require a little "scribbling" prior to any usage. Zebras don't do that.

9. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

My tennis elbow has been kicking up lately and I have found my Zebras and Fishers a little to skinny to write with comfortably for a long time. I am currently using my Lamy Safari ballpoints. I have one in charcoal, like the photo, and one in yellow. They are very comfortable to hold and the ink lays down very smoothly. Safari pens are also made of ABS plastic and will stand up to a lot of abuse.

10. xxecatxx

xxecatxx Empty Pockets

I got my clicky section of the 701 into the 402, and its not really loose or anything. the only problem i have with switching the clicky sections is that when i click down on the 402 clicky when its on the 701, it sounds and feel grainy :evil:. switching clips on the pens does not work to well IMHO, because i found that the round part of the 402 clip was too thin, and it slid around :rant:.

i switched the grip of the 701 and 402, because i didnt really like the knurled grip on the 701. fits well and feels nice. :roof:

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Top pen can be found at most high-end pen shops.

I like the feel of my Zebra 701. But the refill is crap. Have owned serveral SS Parker Jotters, never had a single issue with the refills.

12. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

It's weird that the refills of all zebras and Parkers seem different than the original pen. I haven't tried the Jotter refill because I got too frustrated with the stock pen.

13. mr.pen

mr.pen Empty Pockets

hey guys, im new to the forum, i just orderd a 701 from the internet, i've heard they are really good, by the looks of how many good ratings i suppose they have to be, but any thoughts? :)

14. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I have a Zebra 701 story too now. I bought one sometime earlier this year and after trying it out for a while, I just left it in the kitchen, next to the other pens and bit of paper we keep there for writing shopping lists and the like. One night I was out walking the dog and when I came home, I found my wife writing in her diary with the 701. When she was done, she remarked that it's a nice pen. Then some months later she made another similar remark. And now she asked if maybe Santa could bring her one of her own. :) I'm glad she likes it.

15. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I know a lot of people have done the 402-701 clicky exchange to make an all metal pen. You can do the samething with the 402 mechanical pencil guts. I did one the other day so I have a matched pair of 701's with metal clickys. I will post a pic.

16. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

Based on recommendations from this thread, I went to Office Max and picked up a pack of F-301's a few weeks ago. I loved them. I carried one in my jacket, and one in my back pocket. The one in my back pocket broke in half, so I switched the other one to a front pocket. I ended up losing it whilst Geocaching last week. So I picked up a pack of F-301 compacts. I like them too, but somehow I've already managed to lose one. I can't find it anywhere. Ghar! These pens are too expensive to keep losing them like this! I'm torn between getting a 402 and a 701 next time. Decisions... Decisions...

17. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I've never had a problem with a Zebra refill. I just don't like Jotters. The points don't let go of the paper, which is fine if you write cursive but not so great if you don't.

18. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I've not had issues with Zebra refills, either, but I do wish their refills were the same as the initial cartridge in the pens. I like having a lot of prior warning that I need to have a refill ready, than knowing closer to actual emptiness of the cartridge.

19. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Good thing you didn't invest in a Surefire, Benchmade, or Hinderer... Hehe, talk about expensive pens!
    I still use my modded 701 everyday.

20. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

So use Fisher refills (or any other Parker style, there are LOTS) instead of the Jotter T-ball refills.