1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Pen Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by richiefriday, Dec 6, 2007.

1. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

Well dudes, I gave the 701 a try just to see what the fuss was about. It writes nice but I have gave it to my secretary, who REALLY likes it.
    She feels that it has perfect balance and a very smooth writing form.
    You guys convinced me that we should have some made up with out logo on it!

However I do carry a waterman edson and a couple of others and couldnt replace em with the 701...

2. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

Well dudes, I gave the 701 a try just to see what the fuss was about. It writes nice but I have gave it to my secretary, who REALLY likes it.
    She feels that it has perfect balance and a very smooth writing form.
    You guys convinced me that we should have some made up with our company logo on it!

However I do carry a waterman edson and a couple of others and couldnt replace em with the 701...

3. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

Although most of the Zebra ballpoints use the same ink cartridge, I think the difference in smoothness comes from the plastic inside the tip of the 701. It gives it a tighter feel when writing and cuts down on the metel to metal contact between the ink and the pen tip.

4. PerfectZebra
    • In Omnia Paratus

PerfectZebra Loaded Pockets

I think you might be right. There isn't much play in the tip of my 402, but the 701 definitely has a tighter feel.

5. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I also had to see what everyone was talking about. My local stores have been out of the F-701 for a long time. But last week, I was in the Wal-Mart and found them on the rack, so I picked one up. Not bad. Being used to my Pilot G-2, the heft was a noticeable difference, but it feels good. Kinda solid. Also, I'm used to a rather bold line from my G-2, so it took some getting used to with the fine line that the F-701 writes.

With all that said, it's been EDC for a week now. It looks nicer in the pocket than a G-2. I think I'm going back for more to give as gifts.

6. Pesky_Human

Pesky_Human Loaded Pockets

As for normal / non-marker day-to-day pens go...

I discovered the Tombow Object while in college about a dozen years ago. It is still the smoothest writing pen I have ever used. It is such a joy to use that it actually makes me want to spend more time writing and doodling.

What I need to do is hurry up and get famous so that I can endorse these pens and get back some of the many dollars I have spent on refills over the years. :) ©

7. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

This thread reminded me of the Itoya K-500 for three reasons. It appears to have a very thick aluminum barrel, about 5/64", it comes with a fine black point, and I was recently looking for a refill for it. Another reason to mention it, I have pictures! :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was also fooling with locating refills that would fit in my Rotring 900 roller ball. Apparently the G2 refills fit in the Rotring 600 roller ball, but not the 900. There are a couple of threads on pen forums which discuss the best refills, but none that I saw that had anyone collate the information into a usable table of equivalents. For example the Schmidt Plus will substitute for the Parker refills and others that take that type. Apparently Levenger rebrands it as a Levenger Plus and some Macy's have Levenger section, so the next time I am in the area of the local Macy's I plan on checking on this. It apparently is a new ink system, something between a ballpoint and gell or liquid ink.Other favorites were also mentioned with some agreement on a couple of them being especially excellent. Some pen stores have pictures or give hints, but I imagine they would rather sell a slew of different refills. Further, they may not have gathered the information either.

Hopefully some dedicated EDC soul :angel: will gather the information regarding the interchangeability of refills, so the best and/or best value refill can be used.

The other reason I was interested was that the G2 is smearproof and relatively permanent. Then Uniball has a similar version that is supposed to be similar or better, and then one they advertise as permanent to prevent check washing.* (*Noodler's Ink for fountain pens is the most permanent ink that I know of on cellulose. I like the Legal Lapis. If one is in a freezing climate, including Antarctica, switch to Noodler's Polar so the ink does not freeze and burst your fountain pen.)

Pilot had a ball pen they advertise as permanent rather than using a marker. If writing on something non-porous such as glass, just prime it on a scrap of paper. Sounded a bit like a super Fisher space pen refill. ?? :shrug:

The opposite extreme was the Frixion pen, I think it was a Pilot. The ink was supposed to be temperature sensitive so that if you made a mistake, you could rub the mistake to erase it.

I was so confused I ended up with none. Then you all bring up the Zebra! :popcorn: Hopefully someone is up on all the new variants and can explain them. :help:

A few additional comments regarding questions or issues I saw raised in the thread, some of which might have been answered in part.

I always found the Parker refill with its textured carbide ball wrote smoother than a Fisher. In reading there was some discussion as to varying quality over the years with the Golden Touch refills of a few years ago being the best. The Fisher of course has the advantage of being pressurized so that you can accumulate them and they won't get old, they will write at any angle, and in any weather. Further, although a blob might form on the point over time, they won't leak in extreme environments. I was speaking with someone who had pens leak on a hot roof, that liked that aspect. I have also found that sometimes one gets lucky and gets a terrific smooth writing refill, especially in Fisher, and others are OK, but not as good....or one that writes too smoothly at the beginning begins putting out too much ink as it is used.

The Millennium Fisher Space Pen does not take a refill. It has a carbide ball, the pen is filled with ink, and is guaranteed to write for the owner's lifetime*. They have gotten increasingly expensive, of course it seems to me that refills have too. (*They may have modified that guarantee since I bought one, but it is supposed to write for over 20 miles.) The width of the writing is supposed to vary depending on pressure, but I have definitely not found this to be a fine point. More of a medium/broad which lays down a good bit of ink. My older daughter classed it as a "juicy" pen and would sometimes borrow it for that feature. Like an expensive knife, it might be a good value, IF you do not lose it. For those who have not seen one, think jumbo sized bullet pen with a clip. Mine is chrome and I do not know if they have other finishes.

P.S. Although already answered, I wanted to mention the least expensive nice Fisher clicky type pen that I have seen is the C0 54244 Fisher M4B MILITARY -Space Pen for $7.50 at Penwa. I saw it at the local emporium as a Rite-In-The-Rain pen for $10. One year I bought several at $10, gave them as gifts, and got a Fisher Bullet Space Pen engraved with my complete name. I dropped it one of two places, went back immediately and it was gone. I never heard from anyone either. :rant: (I had taken it out of my pocket while driving for a passenger to make a note, and being seated, did not get it fully back in my pants pocket. I'm very careful with doing that now.)

8. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Zebra F-301s are great pens. I EDC and switch among an F-301, a Lamy Safari ballpoint, and a Fisher bullet pen. At work and at home, I usually use Pilot G2s. I don't like to EDC the G2s in case of leakage.

9. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

10. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I just got a three-pack of 301s, red blue and black. The black writes worse than a cheap bic. The red and blue are fine, and I have another black 301 which is also fine. Should I write zebra, or take it back to walmart?

11. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

Take it back, sounds like you just got a bad one.

12. MG_Saldivar

MG_Saldivar Loaded Pockets

I too experienced the rattle issue but I wasn't able to have any success with this 'cone shaving' method (probably due to my crappy X-acto skills). I removed the plastic cone and stretched the spring out several millimeters and now the rattle is gone (along with the entire plastic cone).

13. m16a

m16a Empty Pockets

Others may not agree with me, but I have never touched or seen a pen better than the Pentel Energel black clicky with 0.7mm tip. Never a better pen, perfect writer, never had a leak, always writes, good priced, generall available at Wal-Mart, Staples, Office Depot etc.

14. CyBuzz

CyBuzz Loaded Pockets

I agree. I love the zebra pens, though I love a lot of pens. I went out to get a 701 today and am more impressed with zebra than ever. I find myself grabbing the 701 or 301 more than my retro 51s

CyBuzz

15. bennyG19

bennyG19 Loaded Pockets

701 > 301 without a doubt. I used to like the 301 but then it fell out of favor with me for some reason. I tried a 701 a few days ago and I'm loving it.

16. rmojo

rmojo Loaded Pockets

Hello all,

I just stumbled on this site and so far I have got a lot of catching up to do as far as cool gear(great another obsession). I found some pen info on anther site I like and thought you guys would be interested.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-%24200-in-2-minutes-and-have-the-worlds-best-wr/

and a cheap way to refill it

http://www.instructables.com/id/Refill-MONT-BLANC-Refills-by-boiling/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-5.00-Space-Pen-for-your-wallet/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rhodia-Case/

Thanks,

Scott

17. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Those Instructables were great. I liked the $3 Mont Blanc pen.

18. njl

njl Loaded Pockets

Re: the Energel pens.

I really, really like the fine tipped blue Energels, but I don't like the lightweight plastic bodies.

You can swap out the Energel refills into G2 bodies and some rollerball pens- so now, my favorite pen is a G2 all-metal "Limited" with an Energel refill.

I also really, really like an Ohto Ceramic rollerball I got from Jet pens.

19. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

I bought one of the Pentel Energel Alloy RT pens at Staples, to give it a try... and I'll stick with my Zebra ball point pens. It's larger in diameter and length than the Zebra 701, shown with it in the photo. The metal body has a brushed aluminum with chrome accent finish. The pen writes well and the ink dries quickly as gels go, but I've just never been able to make the switch from ball points, so the Zebra pens are still my choice for a great pen at their price point. If you do like gel inks though, give it a try. :)

[​IMG]

I've already given it to my dad, he's a lefty and he likes it.

20. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Stormdrane, what kind of cordage did you use for that beautiful knotwork on your Zebra?