1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best packable poncho?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by riot, Nov 17, 2013.

1. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for something that is small enough to tuck into my EDC bag. I've got one that packs to the size of my fist, but the poncho is basically flimsy ziploc baggie material. At the other end of the spectrum I have a Snugpak Enhanced Patrol Poncho which is an awesome poncho, but doesn't pack very small (at all). I would like something that meets in the middle. I want it to be cut generously enough to cover myself and my bag. Coverage at least down to my knees. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Barrel, Cobra 6 Actual and CuChulainn like this.
  2. CuChulainn

CuChulainn Loaded Pockets

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a good poncho to go with my CERT kit. The Snugpak you have appeals to me but I was wondering just how small it gets. Perhaps you could kindly measure it folded and compressed.

All of the good ones seem to be sizable, and the ones that pack small seem to be crap. I am hoping that someone can prove me wrong.

Of course, a rainproof back pack cover and personal lightweight rain gear could be another way to go. All advice welcome.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I say a heavy duty drum liner. (giant contractor grade garbage bag) Cheap, free if you know where to look. Its thicker than any disposable poncho you will find. Also, because of the way its packaged, you can roll one up real small. Once you use it, you wont fold it back that way... but hey they are cheap/free. I would only use a poncho as an emergency/ on the spot application. If I am going somewhere, I watch the weather channel, and dress accordingly. GoreTex Rain Gear>disposable poncho.

4. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

Here's the Snugpak in it's pouch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cobra 6 Actual and CuChulainn like this.
  5. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

I carry a 55 gallon drum liner as well. Cheap, durable, and multipurpose. Quickly cut head and arm holes if you need a poncho.

For a single use deal, grab the typical coghlans vinyl poncho for a few bucks. Very lightweight, and small. How often are you planning to use it?

If you're looking to spend, then get a genuine US military woodland camo poncho. Will have the grommet holes to use as a shelter and insulated liners are available.

Frogg togs are available everywhere but expensive and heavy IMO. A small lightweight umbrella could work as well. :)

Or if you can sew, pick up the 5'-7' silnylon tarp (Outdoor Products) from Walmart and mod it into a poncho.

6. CuChulainn

CuChulainn Loaded Pockets

Thank you. Good to know

7. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

Thank you for your reply. You make a very good point in that I don't plan on using it very often. My EDC bag is also combination GHB. I would only use the poncho if I was stranded somewhere and had to walk in the pouring rain. In that case, any poncho is better than no poncho!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

Cobra 6 Actual and CuChulainn like this.
  8. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

I use the golite ponchotarp. Little bit spendy but packs small, is big enough to cover a rucksack, and the extra length folds away when not needed. Its lightweight but seems tough enough. Been using it as my summer tarp whilst camping as well.

9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I EDC a space blanket for that purpose (and a few others). About the size of half a deck of cards, and a disposable ~$1 when purchased in 10 packs from Amazon.

10. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not a poncho, not long as per your request, but this is really comfortable and packed very small...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It a vacuum-sealed pocket jacket made of the same material of space blankets (mylar), has a hood and Velcro closures on front.
    Well, just an idea...
    Nick

comis and reppans like this.
  11. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

The Golite is a great poncho tarp (once you remove the extra weight of the ties, cord locks, and bag). However, I've found the Ultra-Sil Sea to Summit one to be lighter and more packable. Both are about $80, so not cheap. But, just 'mousing around' I found the Ultra-Sil on LL Bean for $49.

Honestly, I use the Ultra-Sil for backpacking. In my truck I have the big green trash bags for me and other adults, plus the white kitchen bags for the grandkids to use. Same as mentioned above: cut arm and head holes and you're 'good to go.' I also have a water repellant boonie hat in the truck to pair with the trash bag. Excellent kit!

riot, Montani and Eagle Scout like this.
  12. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I've had really good luck with the Ultra-Sil products I own, so I'm going to check that out! Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I'd like one of the Hazard 4 Poncho Villas. I looked at the site, but I can't tell how big it is packed up. It is a fairly flat square, which should fit easily in the bottom of a bag.

14. Cobra 6 Actual

If you decide to go with one, Grayman, let us know what you think. From the website photo alone it doesn't appear that the back part has the extra fold-down length that the GoLite and the Ultra-Sil both have. Cost is also a factor, naturally.

15. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

It's definitely pricier, which is probably why I have the Wal-Mart special in the pack I keep behind my truck seat. I do like that extra room for a pack on the other brands.

16. Cobra 6 Actual

... Well, Grayman,I don't know why LL Bean had that sale on the Ultra-Sil, but it was definitely a good deal. If you do decide to get the Hazard 4 one let us know what you think. Thanks!

17. micahtbyrd

micahtbyrd Loaded Pockets

I am on the hunt for the same item as the op, and have found my self looking at the cabelas rainy river parka... Its a packlite goretex parka and comes with a compression sack. I have yet to find dimensions but it could be an option... It would serve as an all weather packable shell for rain and wind... Just another option... These run a bit over $100 us

riot likes this.
  18. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

you didn't say how big you were but if you don't mind second hand drop by the local thrift stores or goodwills once or twice a week for about a month...i promise you will find something from north face/ralph lauren/tommy hilfiger/old navy/ll bean/lands end or any other company you could name and pick up an anorak/rain jacket for about 5 dollars..some will still have the original tags on them...just pick up one in a size or two larger than you normally wear...your covered..your pack is covered...and they pack down small if you get on that is not fleece lined...

Cobra 6 Actual and riot like this.