1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best mini compass?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by David L. Holt, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

That's rather sad.

Anyone else want to take a shot at the survival thingamabob they did in WW2?

thatotherguy likes this.
  2. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

^^^
    marbles.jpg

DBR likes this.
  3. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Now..combine your last two posts in this thread! ;)

4. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Did a quick search, didn't see a thread like this one. I am looking for a compass that I might EDC on my person, and so far the only ideas I have are the little button ones and a digital compass on a watch (I know those aren't the best, but would be better than nothing IMO).

Hoping someone will have something really cool that I don't even know about! In any case, feel encouraged to show any compass you EDC.

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

7. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

Cammenga 3H. It even has tritium! I know it's not a button compass but they do make a wrist compass. Honestly, I've never even seen one but if they built it like the 3H I'd say it should be very good.

8. benjisimon

benjisimon Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest checking out the Silva Metro Compass.

It's not super compact, but it seems to perform much better than the typical button compasses I've played with.

BubbaFett likes this.
  9. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I am also looking for an alternative to the NATO compass. I need a 14mm compass to fit into my TAD Life Capsule. It seems like the only options are the $50 NATO compass or a cheap $3 compass that probably isn't any better than having no compass!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

10. fmf1854

fmf1854 Loaded Pockets

Check out Tru-Nord compasses

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Darn digital stuff is killing good analog device makers again!

12. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

As Suunto apparently no longer manufactures button compasses and has not for long enough that stocking retails no longer have new-old stock, I have no worthwhile input on button compasses. However, Suunto does still make a very good small and self contained box compass - the Suunto MB-6. The MB stands for "matchbox" as the compass and box are just slightly larger that the once common small box of wooden matches. A very good compass in my experience, though now getting to be a lot more expensive than previously.

13. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, this past weekend my beloved Suunto Comet Micro compass passed through my washer and dryer in the pocket of a pair of pants. It now has a bubble inside, though I don't know that this necessarily reduces its accuracy. Nonetheless, the Comet has seen better days - the tiny plastic baseplate has resisted all of my efforts to secure it to a keychain (hence the washer and drying debacle); and the degree numbers on the rotating bezel have worn to an extent that I can no longer read them. No more fairly reasonable process for compensating for magnetic declination. Long story made short, I'm now in the market for a small, pocketable keychain compass and in my Google search, ran across this thread again. No doubt, today I will pull the trigger on a TruNord Key Ring Model. However, having seen only photographs, I have my doubts as to it having any sort of rotating bezel to allow me to adjust for declination. I know that TruNord will set my compass up for declination specific to the general area of my zip code, but I'm really not confined to my zip code location. So I will ask for one without any preset. Call me anal, but I will really miss my rotating bezel.

All of this brings me back to my last post on this topic in which I praised the Suunto MB-6 compass. I got it out this morning to see if it would be comfortable for pocket or keychain carry. Unfortunately, the answer would be no, at least for keychain carry though pocket carry is a distinct possibility. But as I was looking at the MB-6, I realized my earlier post may have damned it with faint praise and nothing much in the way of description. I mean to try to rectify that here.

The MB-6 operates like a matchbox, where the box is some sort of thermoplastic and the compass itself slides out - one way only - for use. The closed box measures 2.5"L x 1.75"W x 0.75"D. The compass itself measures 1.25" in diameter, not including the rotating bezel. With the bezel, the diameter is 1.625" in diameter. The weight of the MB-6 is 1.94 oz.

The astounding - to me - features of this compass are that: 1) the box itself has a sighting arrangement 4.5" long; 2) the box has a slide out and drop down reflector of highly polished stainless steel that allows one to sight with the box, then read the compass bearing in the reflector (without the numbers being reversed) without lowering the compass from the sight line; 3) the top bezel and the reflected bezel are marked off in 2 degree increments; and 4) the reflector can be slid back into the box so that the compass is transparent when laid on a map. All in all, though not counting the nifty matchbox feature, the compass has just about every feature one could ask for in a compass, including a very small brass screwdriver that would allow one to disassemble the slide out tray so that the compass could be removed. I'm not entirely sure why one would want to do that, but there it is anyway.

I'm still going to buy the TruNord, but I can assure you that the MB-6 will never be too far away.

14. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have been searching for a good tiny compass, I have a few now.

Brunson watch band compass (rubber strap broke in 2 days, but the capsule is nice enough although it's not accurate, more a "that way, kinda" accuracy. I now have the capsule mounted on a bit of plastic with hole for a lanyard.
    Very cluttered dial

Silva luminous button compass - haven't seen it In a while, but know it's in my altoids tin kit, good Lume, pretty accurate, very thin, normal dial is easy to read and seems to settle quickly and repeatably

A compass I "borrowed" from science class back in high school, I found it again today (we used them for experiments involving currents in wire, it causes a magnetic field that changes depending on the location relative to the wire)
    Aluminium surround, no liquid inside, difficult to read black needle, but reacts best to metal from what I have seen looks to be the most accurate, other than my big compasses.
    I remember the school having trays of them, so I assume they are fairly cheap - I will have to see if I can source more
    No lanyard attach point though
    EDIT - found them at a science education supply site - "20mm plotting compass" 10 for $11 AUD
    [​IMG]

Brunton "zipper pull" compass - basically just a the guts from a proper baseplate compass, without the plate. Fairly easy to read, but with a black needle

And a 30yr old Silva - its a small baseplate model, and is still kicking nicely - no Lume, but easy to read Red/White needle

I really like the looks of that TruNord compass though, I may have to add one to the collection

Pics !
    Top - Silva baseplate
    L-R hacked brunton "watchband" compass on plastic tab, "plotting compass" Silva luminous with lanyard tab and Brunton "zipperpull" model
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the fact they are all pointing slightly different directions, they are all affecting each other (they are magnets after all)

Last edited by echo63, Mar 1, 2014
  15. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

+1 on the Made in China. I purchased 2 Marbles knives for my nephews last year that turned out to be Chinese crap. Of course they still had up the old pictures, etc..

16. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

+1 on the TruNord compass. I have already added it to my wish list, will probably order one next week.

17. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

K&R compasses most are made in Germany though the 20mm dia and smaller seem to be Chinese

www. kasper-richter. de

18. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

DBR- I believe the Marble's survival item you are thinking of is the USAF Air Force Survival knife (ASEK IIRC). First made by Marbles, then Camillus, now Ontario.
    I unfortunately do not own a nice button compass, but I will agree with the comment that if the Cammenga wrist compass is as nice as the full sized military version it is an excellent compass. I have the phosphorescent version of the military issued Cammenga compass and it's great.

19. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Does the forum store carry them?

Last edited by pathwinder14, Mar 7, 2014
  20. irco

irco Loaded Pockets

Any new advive? I am looking for a small compass for my EDC. The NATO is wonderfull but the price is not wonderfull