1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Mechanical Pencil Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by shadeone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

Needed a mechanical pencil for school. I knew just where to look for suggestions.

Preferences and budget brought it down to the Kerry Sharp and the Promecha 1000.

Promecha is on its way. Kerry will probably join the family later on.

2. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I have a Rotring Side Knock Mechanical Pencil. Its amazing in terms of how to get more lead, and how simple it is to get more lead without adjusting my grip.

3. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Bit of thread necro here... but what the hell... lots of love for Rotring (not unexpectedly) but not a single mention of the sublime Pilot S20. When I figure out how to upload pictures, watch out! The S20 comes with (in my case) a cherry wood body that has a delightfully ergonomic (IMHO) curve to it that fair cries out to be held. Beautiful pencil. I also tote a Worther Shorty leadholder, and - because I like to sketch - a bunch of real pencils get chucked in the bag every day also. Note to self: must acquire some Palomino Blackwings in the near future.

pacrawshaw likes this.
  4. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

Super Promecha 1500 in 0.3mm, Pilot H-3003 or H-3005, Rotring 600 in 0.3mm are all fabulous. The vanishing point makes the Pilot my carry around pencil. The Promecha is just plain fun to mess around with. Any "real", pre takeover Rotring is just amazing. Saddly the later two typically go for over $100 on eBay

5. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

Super Promecha 1500 in 0.3mm, Pilot H-3003 or H-3005, Rotring 600 in 0.3mm are all fabulous. The vanishing point makes the Pilot my carry around pencil. The Promecha is just plain fun to mess around with. Any "real", pre takeover Rotring is just amazing. Saddly the later two typically go for over $100 on eBay

6. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

The pencil I've used more than any other are Pentel Q405's, the original Twist-Erase. Perfect lead feeding, good grip, and light. (Say what you want about build quality on a Rotring, but a day of paper and pad engineering work is a much nicer day with something lighter.) After the Q405's got hard to find I spent a while using the newer Twist-Erase III's (also had a T.E. II, but they're an utter abomination) and then P205's, and now I carry either a Zebra M-402, a Rotring 600 or 300, and use my jealously guarded hoard of aging Q405's at my desk.

7. panther

panther Empty Pockets

My choice believe it or not is a £0.38 pencil, the Zebra Z Grip 0.5mm, light, comfortable and writes great. I got loads of others, but keep coming back to this, pocket safe, no fear of loss!

Lead choice is Uni Nano Dia Leads 0.5 HB

8. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

For a long while I was using a Rotring 800 retractable. Great MP. But I've always been partial to PILOT writing instruments.

Then I came across these beauties, both retractable:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The latter one is a little bit longer and thicker, with a very cool twist mechanism that simultaneously extends both the lead tip and the advance plunger at the rear (then retracts them both when twisting back). Fantastic writing instrument. I wish PILOT had made these in 0.3mm and 1.0mm sizes.

Last edited by xevious, Apr 21, 2018
    #148 xevious, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    PragmaticMurphyist and surefire7 like this.
  9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

10. bystander

bystander Loaded Pockets

I would say the Sharp Kerry. I have 2 since my college years and they are still working fine.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The Sharp Kerry is in my top 5. Too bad it isn't available in 0.3mm.

--flatline

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  12. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

That's a full metal bodied pencil. There's no model number per-se, and whatever the Japanese name is, there's nothing found in Google searches. Apparently it was only a JDM release and practically impossible to find. I stumbled across one 2 years ago in closed auction listings then started looking, and the next one I saw by chance went for over $200 USD (it was mint with sticker). That's what you see in those images. The one I got was a used example with no sticker. I was actively looking on and off for a long time too, because there's no useful criteria. There are other Pilot pencil models that retract the tip. Are you familiar with the H-1005? That series was very popular and exported, available in 0.3mm and 0.5mm sizes.

Last edited by xevious, Mar 3, 2017
    #152 xevious, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  13. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I have a few of these. I love them as I always break skinny lead.

[​IMG]

Made by/for woodpecker which is a precision woodworking instrument company.

WillAdams likes this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

sorta look like an Autopoint? Glad to see the useful size eraser on it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

'Kay, showing my ignorance, and could probably google it, but "JDM"? Nvm, I found it - Japanese domestic market - good to know...

Well, bummer! It sounds like those pencils'd be tough to find! Though, when searching about the H-1005, I did divert some attention to the Pilot Automac, which seems solid/promising (with a metal body and retractable lead sleeve): http://clickypost.com/blog/2014/1/2/pilot-automac-05mm-mechanical-pencil-review-and-jetpens-giveaway Not as "attractive" as your finds, but I may look to get one of the Automacs first...

:cool:

16. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Yes, the Pilot Automatic is a very economical way to get into the fully retractable mechanical pencil. I don't own any, but reviews seem very positive.

Here's a design you don't see every day:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seems to be some kind of "window pane grid" design. What's quite unusual is the step-up at the seam, where the rear part of the body is slightly wider. I'm not that keen about this as a daily writer, as the tip doesn't have any kind of supporting sleeve. So you have to be mindful of how much you expel the lead. On the flip-side, it's great for avoiding those little "lead stubs" typical of other mechanical pencils (where the clutch sits far enough back so that you can't really use the last 5mm of the lead).

Last edited by xevious, Apr 2, 2017
    #156 xevious, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  17. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

I am probably the low brow guy in this thread, as I have used and loved the simple Pentel Clickster for years. For whatever reason, it fits my hand well, and it has been a constant carry item for years. I prefer the .7mm lead for general purpose writing and woodworking, though I also have .5mm laying around somewhere.

I bet I could easily get used to a nicer pencil, but its just one of those areas where I am happy and don't feel like exploring.

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't think I indicated my choice before. Top choice for me is the Pentel Kerry 0.7. Love how compact it is and ease of carry in a shirt pocket. For all around utility, tank-like durability: Pentel P207 or Pentel 209. Probably the Pentel 209. I just love the thicker leads. Only issue I have with these Pentel's is the lack of a decent eraser, which causes me to also carry a 'stick' eraser -- a Pentel click eraser (did you think I'd say something else?!).

If I were going to go a bit upscale I'd either go with a Retro 51 (especially now that they have 1.15 leads) or a 1990's vintage Parker Duofold -- mine use 0.9 leads. Both of these have really nice chunky erasers which are actually usable!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

19. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

20. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

Used a bunch of the all plastic crap mechanical pencils as a kid. Got the original Pentel Twist Erase and really enjoyed them in comparison. I've got a bunch of the Twist Erase III's since they provide plenty of eraser. Never had a high end mechanical pencil but this site has me looking fairly hard at them.

Just got in an Uni Kura Toga Roulette from evilbay. Couldn't pass it up for less than $4 shipped, with lead and erasers. Pretty neat pencil. I like how it feels and the knurling. Haven't had anything to put it through the paces on, as I don't typically do much writing/drawing/etc. May have to come up with something to design by hand to see how it is.

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy of amazon. Not my image.