1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Mechanical Pencil Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by shadeone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

+1

SAKplumber likes this.
  2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of my TWSBI pens and have been meaning to order the retractable .5 to try, but haven't yet. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and report back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I have a TWSBI pen as well and it seems to be even better quality than my Rotring Rapid Pro. No experience with the pencil version, but it's probably nice too.

4. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

I have been hankering for a mechanical pencil as well. I like the Rotring 800, but the price is not right for me. I've pulled the trigger on the Art Alternatives Pocket Clutch Pencil Set. It's a thick lead, clutch pencil. I used one similar in High School, and really liked it. For under $9 I'll be happy even if it's not the best I've ever held.
    I use pencils primarily for outlining ink drawings.

[​IMG]
    51eidgrC3HL by ansonherrington, on Flickr

5. h.g.manifold

h.g.manifold Loaded Pockets

I've been using the Draft-Matic for a while now but I broke down and purchased the Rotring 600. Looking forward to it.

6. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Whether you prefer the Draft-Matic or the Rotring 600 seems to be a personal thing since the quality of both is excellent. I prefer the Draft-Matic because of the aggressive knurling and bottom heavy design. I do like the hexagonal body of the Rotring, but not enough to use it over the Draft-Matic.

--flatline

7. low_down

low_down Loaded Pockets

My grandfather was a draftsman after he left the navy, worked on designing tanks in the 90's as far as I can remember (I was very young). After he passed away, I raided one of his draft tables in the basement and took tons of pencils, if I had only knew what I.had....I could really kick myself right now.

8. Grinch

Grinch Banned

Hey fella's are there any good mechanical pencils to be found in dollar stores . The reason i am asking is i live in small town . Only thing we have for office supplies is a Walgreen's some dollar stores and a Fred's .

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Sure, Pilot P205 should be easy to find anywhere. It's a classic, but not very expensive.

bigfoot likes this.
  10. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The Pilot P203, P205, P207, and P209 are pretty ubiquitous as far as drafting pencils go. I know several people who have used that model drafting pencil for years and never wanted anything more (even after I showed them some of mine). I don't have any of those models in my collection because I've never liked the way they feel in my hand. The entry level drafting pencils that I like the best are the Pentel A120 which is about the same price and comes in the same sizes (0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9) but they're much harder to find locally. I got lucky and found the 0.3 in my college bookstore as an undergrad.

--flatline

11. nimrodd

nimrodd Empty Pockets

I have the original versions of the TWSBI pencil, with both the fixed tube and the retractable tube. I love them. They are a heavier pencil, which I like better.

12. h.g.manifold

Woo-Hoo!!
    [​IMG]
    Only a few days having them and I love them. I do wish the pen were G2 compatible but I am learning to love ballpoint again.

bigfoot likes this.
  13. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

What kind of refill does it take?

--flatline

14. h.g.manifold

Parker style refills as well as the Fisher Space refill with the adapter.

15. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Was just re-reading this thread and was shocked that nobody has mentioned the Pilot S series (S3, S10, etc).

I have the S10 in 0.3mm, 0.4mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm, and 0.9mm and have found them to be truly excellent pencils. The knurling is excellent and generous, the weight distribution is noticeably bottom-heavy (yay! so hard to find!), and they have the most definitive "click" of any pencil I've used.

They also have one of the best lead indicators that I've seen. It's easy to set but there's no risk of accidentally changing it.

--flatline

16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's still early, but right now I'm loving my new GraphGear 500 0.5mm drafting pencil. It's a plastic body with a knurled metal grip, and it's very light but nicely tip heavy. The advance is fairly crisp and clean, with a nice sound and feel. The clip is fairly thin and short but nice nonetheless and the knurling is fine and comfortable but sharp enough to be pretty darn grippy. The tip is a little sharp and non retractable, but this will be an organizer pencil for me so it won't be in my pocket enough to stab me in the leg. It was fairly cheap too- less than $10 for the pencil and 30 extra pentel HB leads.
    My previous favorite was a Papermate Precision 0.7mm pencil. It is a good pencil, but a lot of the parts are plastic in the wear areas (like where the eraser cap tensioner rubbed) and the grip was a rubber/plastic combo that was slick when writing. I liked the lead pretty well though, even though it was larger than my preference.

17. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've got the Graphgear 500 in 0.3mm and it gets a fair amount of use. It has the dubious honor of being the pencil that I transfer all the crappy lead that comes in new pencils to when I replace it with my preferred lead. At some point I'll use all that lead up, but it'll take a while. Mostly it gets used for quick notes or doodles.

I love the fact that the Graphgear 500 looks like an old style syringe.

--flatline

thatotherguy likes this.
  18. speeddemon40

speeddemon40 Loaded Pockets

How do you like it? I'm thinking of going with a Rotring 600 .7mm for work. I need red refills though.

19. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've used both and I prefer the Draft-Matic in 0.3mm to the Rotring 600 in 0.3mm, but it's very subjective. Until you've tried both, you won't know which you like better.

--flatline

20. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Picked this behbeh up for a buck today. 3" long, takes a 7mm lead, replaceable eraser, light, nice rubber grippy thingie, and rages against the machine with graphical depictions of a rebellious, free-spirited feline.

--Al