1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Mechanical Pencil Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by shadeone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Fukurai and mooshisho like this.
  2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Fukurai likes this.
  3. dalewa

dalewa Loaded Pockets

I have a mechanical pencil that I received for free when I was in the seventh grade.(long time ago). School house was not even air conditioned. Pre Pilot and Rotring. It is an Autopoint. Free when you bought 1000 pounds of fertilizer from Monsanto. Grandpa (PaPa) bought the fertilizer and I got the pencil. Still use it today. Never has broken and can still buy erasers for it because the company is still in business.

Replete, psyphris, Matt130 and 3 others like this.
  4. YWG2112

YWG2112 Loaded Pockets

After reading this thread I have realized that I now need to go and buy a cooler better mechanical pencil for my EDC bag. I wasn't even thinking about doing this until 2 minutes ago when I began reading this thread........Darn you EDC forum (sincerely my wallet) ;) lol
    Time to bid farewell to my staples special.

5. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I got a Caran d’Ache 844 in neon yellow last week which matches my neon orange 849. Another 15€ spent. :p

6. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

The best mechanical pencil in my opinion is the original Pilot Shaker H-515. These are near impossible to find, while other versions can be found without too much searching. The design, innovation, and rarity make it outstanding. I am lucky enough to have two!!

[​IMG]

7. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Uni kura toga is very nice to use.

8. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

I still love mine too :D

9. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

I am a poor college student so expensive pencils are not a priority for me right now. That being said my two favorite pencils are the Graphgear 500 and Graphgear 1000. I usually choose my 500 over the 1000 for everyday use due to weight. I find the 1000 is a bit top heavy for me.

[​IMG]

10. Freddo4J

Freddo4J Loaded Pockets

Wow - fresh out of college with a Drafting Certificate I hit the pavement and used good 'ol thick leads in a holder and the leads required sharpening in a rotary sharpener (many lead hardness choices). Then there were the Pentel 0.9mm, 0.7mm, and 0.5mm's. Just last week I bought a Zebra M-301 (0.5mm) for my EDC organizer. Hmmm... maybe I need to research these newer Rotring's and Pentel Graphgear's for this desk's pen coral.

11. outdoorsfan

outdoorsfan Loaded Pockets

Because of this thread, got these for Christmas and love them! Use the .7 on a daily basis

[​IMG]

12. ChidwickR

ChidwickR Empty Pockets

I have a Rotring 800 and I really like it. It's an awesome pencil except for one annoying thing. The lead advancer is just flimsy enough that when I write, the lead breaks inside the pencil, about 1cm each time. I'm trying to figure out a way of supporting the advancer so that it will stop breaking. Otherwise, an amazing pencil, but very expensive. If anyone else has had the lead breaking problem, let me know, I'd be interested to know if I'm alone on this issue or not.

I also have a Staedtler 925 05 which is a very affordable, light drafting pencil. I bought it two years ago and have used it exclusively until I got my Rotring 800. It has a rubber grip which is soft (nice for those who don't like the knurled metal, personally I like both) and easy to hold. Nice diameter for a comfortable grip, and it's balanced well. Also has a lead hardness indicator just above the grip. A good pencil for a poor student.

[​IMG]

13. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

re: the Staedtler 925 pencils - I just noticed the silver (aluminum/all metal) series yesterday, and was wondering what folks thought of them. I liked the all-metal versions because it was all-metal, but yeah, I bet the other versions are probably just as good. I just prefer writing instruments that not only write well, but seem built well enough to withstand my occasional carelessness. And I like the knurled grip... The only thing that would make the silver series better (imo) is if the sleeve were retractable. But otherwise - you'd recommend the 925? Cool!

:cool:

14. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I have the 925 in plastic and in aluminum. I like them both, but the aluminum pencil is balanced further back than is my preference so I use the cheap plastic one more than the expensive aluminum one for regular writing.

--flatline

15. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

I have had two of these since 1980. The only reason why don't have the first one is because it got lost when I went in the Military.

I would have to look and see if Pentel even makes this model still. Edit: I just checked the Pentel website and they still make them.

[​IMG]

16. lurkftw

lurkftw Loaded Pockets

I use a Pentel P205 and Zebra M-402 to take notes in class everyday and they work great. Both are good quality pencils that are cheap enough that I wouldn't feel bad about losing them, the only problem is that they can't be carried in a pocket because the lead sleeve isn't retractable.

17. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I first got the Uni Kura Toga and like it very much. But then I liked the quality and features of the Rotring 800 so that is also part of my EDC rotation. I do experience lead breaking in the Rotring every so often within the pencil and I'm wondering if it is the brand of lead that is the cause? Both mechanical pencils are great and if I don't lose them they should last a lifetime.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

18. yaniv glozman

yaniv glozman Loaded Pockets

Caran d'ache 3mm
    I cut open Prismacolor's blue col-erase ( its 3.2 but fits) and use it as refile ( don't ask why i do it .I guess like any EDC I am looking to have it exactly as i like it )

[​IMG]

Cprrckwlf likes this.
  19. Prybry

Prybry Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of THICK lead.... I use the Draftmatic in .9mm or my favorite is a 6mm fatty...
    [​IMG]

Great for sketch work...

microbe likes this.
  20. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Just posting this for giggles.... no experience with it, but the all metal construction, retractable point, and extra long eraser has piqued my interest.

ATB,
    Sam