1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Mechanical Pencil Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by shadeone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

That makes sense. That's like when folks tell about the ink they prefer in their fountain pens and what they like in a nib, or the refills folks like in their gel/rollerball/ballpoint pen. Part of it's how it feels/functions/looks, and the other's how well it actually puts down one's thoughts/drawings on the paper.

Good reminder! :)

mooshisho likes this.
  2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Good point. Kinda reminds me of my guitar playing days and the guys who buy $1000 guitars and then play then through $50 amps and $1 leads, not to mention year-old strings. The point is, when you play guitar, your gear consists of more than just the guitar itself, and likewise, pens are not complete without their lead (or ink). Some might say the pen is just a vessel for the lead, but I wouldn't go quite that far.

(I have a 2mm RapidPro as well, but personally I prefer a small Caran d'Ache lead holder. I use 4B lead too, but despite what I said above, I must confess that I don't remember the brand right now.)

3. podus1

podus1 Loaded Pockets

After reading the posts on this thread, I puchased the 2.0mm Rapid Pro. I would now like to purchase a selection of quality 2.0mm colored leads for it. The Pentel colored "Automatic" leads might work, but I think they are too short. I would very much appreciate any suggestion as to high end colored 2.0mm leads that would be ideal for the Rapid Pro.

Fukurai likes this.
  4. Valerian

I have a pack of Koh-I-Noor ones, but I have used them very little, so can't really say how high end they are. Seem fine for me, but I don't have much experience with colored leads anyway. They are 120 mm long.

5. podus1

podus1 Loaded Pockets

Valolammas - I measured and 120 mm is the length I need. I will try the Koh-I-Noors.

Years ago, when I was using wooden coloring pencils practically daily for making maps (not for technical drafting or engineering), Berol Verithins were the standard in my industry. The colored lead for these wooden pencils did not smear or appear glossy.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Podus

Last edited by podus1, Oct 5, 2012
  6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like the Mars Carbon ones, i can see USA prices on those is not bad, and the red color is really nice, i also like Sanford very much, i think they are called "carmine", very nice color too, but maybe sometimes a bit too rough, like the Farber Castell, which i would not recommend, sometimes there are quite large sharp particles in those which can potentially scratch the paper, but this also depends on the type of paper, i really like the combination of Seawhite paper and mars carbon, very nice feel and good texture. Do you write on like regular 80-90 grams printer paper?

7. nimrodd

nimrodd Empty Pockets

I agree with rickboone. The TWSBI Precision Mechanical Pencil has a retractable tip, is available in 0.5mm & 0.7mm. They just came out with version 2.0 that now has all metal parts on the interior as well. They also came out with a matching ballpoint as well.

Just waiting for next month so I can order a new set.

mooshisho likes this.
  8. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I have this very particular lead that I like (4B) from a particular company (whose name escapes me at the moment). However, they only make drawing pencils. But while at school, I hate to use the sharpener. So I usually will take a razor to shave down all the wood (quick and easy to do) and toss it into a 2mm lead holder (usually Staedler brand). :D You could do that to your colored pencils if you really like the lead. 2mm lead holders range in price depending on the materials and brands, as all other things do. :) The Staedler one is like $8.00 or something. I'm on the lookout for something heftier (perhaps the Rapid Pro, since I love Rotring products). I love being able to use the "sharpener" on the backside of the pencil though. :)

Fukurai likes this.
  9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, lo siento, however I just wanted to share something. Didn't think it actually warranted its own thread, so I figured I could post it in a tangentially-relevant topic, at least, lol...

Anyway, there's this kickstarter project for "modern desktop pencils and holders", and I'm not entirely sure whether the project creator is joking or not. I tend to think that the person's either hoping that his joke of a project actually gets him some dough (like a Pen Type-A or Solid Titanium Pen and Stylus type of project), or maybe it's just his way of making fun of the other, sometimes not well thought-out, kickstarter projects out there. If you look at his website, though, I almost think that he's actually not caring how silly of an attempt it is (because it doesn't look like he's put in a lot of honest effort into it), but wants to see how many folks were born yesterday. Although, if he sincerely thinks he's got a good idea to kickstart, then I feed bad for making fun of the execution of it...

To me, it looks like he just whitewashed some number 2 pencils and a few blocks of wood to fashion into a "holder", and yet he wants to charge a bunch for 'em.

Whaddya think? You can see it there: j.mp/ModernDesktopPencilsAndHolders_ks

It's a joke, right? Yet, something where the guy'd probably honor the deal and paint a bunch of pencils and send 'em off?!?:rofl:

:cool:

Last edited by oke, Oct 11, 2012
  10. Valerian

With "designer" products, it's hard to tell, but I agree, looks like a joke. :)

11. Tuxedo

Tuxedo Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's either this or the Staedtler 925 25

FInixNOver, Lynx, Fukurai and 2 others like this.
  12. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Always this

[​IMG]

jdiaz2010, Lynx and mooshi like this.
  13. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

Every time I break open a new moleskine I put a few drops of fray stop or super glue on the end of the page marking ribbon to prevent fraying as seen in above image.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Fukurai and mooshisho like this.
  14. podus1

podus1 Loaded Pockets

Does the Staedtler 925 25 have a sliding sleeve/guide pipe that can be hidden such as with the Rotring 800 or Rapid Pro? I'm considering the 0.9 mm version.

Last edited by podus1, Oct 17, 2012
  15. Valerian

No, it doesn't. Fixed sleeve.

16. podus1

podus1 Loaded Pockets

IMHO, the Rotring 800 is the best ever in 0.5 mm and the Rapid Pro as to the 0.7 mm. Any 0.9 mm nominations?

17. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

With all this talk about mechanical pencils, I feel the need, the need for a Rotring Rapid Pro 0.5 mm. The silver looks particularly appealing. Q: Should I go for it?

18. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes. I also bought it because of this thread and didn't regret it so far. Although it was a healthy amount I spent...

19. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I would like to get a rotring 800, but I can find them only on ebay for more than 60€, so that’s not gonna happen. Second is the Rapid Pro, but it’s still over 30€, and just for the “I want” feeling that’s too much. :p

Fukurai likes this.
  20. podus1

podus1 Loaded Pockets

In the 0.9mm, I'm impressed with what I've read about the Ohto Super Promecha 1500. Is this mechanical pencil on the same level as the Rotring 800 or Rapid Pro.

It sure has advanced features, and looks the part. Exceptionally hard to find (expensive too) in the 0.9mm version.