1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Mechanical Pencil Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by shadeone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

What is the difference between a lead holder and a pencil?

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

A pencil has a graphite core (aka. "lead") encased in wood. Lead holder has the same (or very similar) 2 mm thick graphite, but instead of wood, they usually have a metal body. A lead holder usually has a clutch mechanism (they are also called clutch pencils), which allows you to move the lead when it wears too short. If you are ok with blunt lead, you won't need a sharpener with a lead holder. Most have a built in sharpener, though.

3. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Sorry I meant between a lead holder and a mechanical pencil. Is it just the thickness of the lead and thence the requirement for a sharpener?

4. Valerian

The clutch mechanism on lead holders usually releases the lead completely, so it will fall out unless you stop it. There are, however, some models which advance the lead in discrete steps like mechanical pencils. So sometimes it's just the thickness.

5. Kalidor

Kalidor Loaded Pockets

Sorry to resurrect this thread. After reading through all 3 pages, there is a ton of choices.

Anyone used a OTHO Promecha or the Platinum Pro-Use Pencil. Both look to be good quality full metal pencils..

6. Valerian

I have a couple of different OHTO Promechas, 500 and 1500, but actually I think I would have liked the 1000 best after all. They are fince pencils and the 1500 has a couple of neat (if a little gimmicky) features. They are well made and all that, but somehow still not quite my cup of tea. E.g. the grip area is very thick and knurling could be better. Don't take me wrong, they are very good pencils, but not in my personal top 5.

No experience with the Platinum one.

7. Butch007

Butch007 Loaded Pockets

8. Toyman

Toyman Loaded Pockets

Bought a Pentel Kerry when I got my first job out of college 25 years ago. I still have the original, but I broke the clip off. Other than that, it still works perfect. I like that I can take the cap off and cover the tip when I put it in my pocket. I decided it was time to retire the original this year and picked up a new one. Doesn't seem to have changed much in 25 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stax and mooshisho like this.
  9. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I go for a modded out Zebra 701. That makes a great 701 combination.

10. Anthony Sciutto

Anthony Sciutto Empty Pockets

Bought my Rotring 600 a few days ago and it should be coming in the mail today! I'm almost excited to take notes in class now. Hah!

mooshisho likes this.
  11. Kalidor

Kalidor Loaded Pockets

Did you get it at a good price?? Just wondering if I should shell out the money for one??

12. Anthony Sciutto

I got it and some eraser replacements for $35 on JetPens. Free shipping too! They have excellent service. I bought it on Saturday night, was in my mail box Monday afternoon. :)

I haven't had much use with it yet, but I think it's a great investment, especially since it'll last a lifetime!

mooshisho likes this.
  13. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

The Rotring line of stuff is probably my favorite and one of the best out there, in my own opinion. The 600 goes for about $30.00. I have the Rapid Pro which is more expensive (but I got it during a White Elephant gift exchange). Both are great pens, but the 600 lacks a retractable sleeve, which scares me a little for pocket/collar carry. Otherwise, the construction, build, and heft of the pen is awesome. :D I've had mine for a few years now and it has served me well.

Fukurai and Anthony Sciutto like this.
  14. Gh0st
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gh0st Loaded Pockets

The Black rotring 600 is now officially on my list.

Anthony Sciutto likes this.
  15. Anthony Sciutto

Silver all the way man! It looks so much more defined and sexy! Because pencils can look sexy haha

16. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

For me now the Rotring rapid Pro. Very nice pencil, although the graphite lead isn't that good. I'll have to change it, maybe it's also because of the paper.

mooshisho likes this.
  17. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Really? I loved my stock lead. I think it was 4B that was in it. It wrote smoothly and I like softer leads for sketching. :)

18. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

IDK, I have to press very hard to get a decent black lining. I don't have the problems with other leads, so I'll changed them as soon as I finished them :D

mooshisho likes this.
  19. Kalidor

Kalidor Loaded Pockets

how is the strength of the clip on the 600. I hate wimpy and weak clips that bend and break easily

20. Gh0st
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gh0st Loaded Pockets

I was actually going to quote them as being sexy too, but wan't sure how it would have been taken.

Anthony Sciutto likes this.