1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Mechanical Pencil Ever

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by shadeone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I may have to spend some time over on Reddit. Hardly ever do, but it is starting to penetrate my skull that there are some useful forums/discussion groups, whatever term they use on Reddit, for a very broad variety of subjects!

Thanks @xevious!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Journo and xevious like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

subreddit.

The nice thing is one can create a multi-reddit of your own (or several of them) and only see the grouped interests which you are curious of --- it's also quite easy to make new ones, or to get sucked into moderating them --- wound up being a mod on /r/BicycleGear which resulted in my volunteering on the wiki: https://www.reddit.com/r/BicycleGear/wiki/index

xevious likes this.
  3. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Ah, yes -- thanks for that Will. I haven't quite gotten up to speed on all the lingo, so on Reddit a sub forum is called a "subreddit."

It's the most active place to talk about mechanical pencils, AFAIK. And as you probably know, they've got companion subreddits for fountain pens, pens and pencils. I like the Reddit interface and the software team seems to be very progressive. Lots going on with the beta testing. I was impressed to discover that you can add RES (Reddit Enhancement Suite) as a browser plugin to provide even more functionality (like a live preview to your message so you can see what it looks like before posting).

Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  4. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Well, I lingered there for a while... and it seems that r/mechanicalpencils is generally inhabited by younger guys who are in school, mostly on a tight budget. So there's a lot of discussion about the sub $10 mechanical pencils. There's maybe one or two folks I've spotted who have some appreciable collections. But generally, the passion there is for the very affordable mechanical pencils. Nothing wrong with that, but I was hoping to find some folks who have serious collections and may have insight into vintage higher tier mechanical pencils. It seems that about the only recourse is to chat up folks who are spotted reviewing or displaying their vintage stuff.

Medic1 and WillAdams like this.
  5. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

Picked up an Autopoint vintage pencil NIB with papers. Works great with vintage look of 1946 cause it is. Paid $3.00.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Last edited by xevious, Apr 21, 2018
    #206 xevious, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  7. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

8. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Just like in pens, there is little-to-no innovation in the "luxury" category. I would think the main users of mechanical pencils are in school / are working engineers and see their pencils primarily as tools, not as luxury items or collectibles.

I purchased my first mechanical pencils in decades, and I am impressed for how much you can get for so little money. I'm just sad that I'll never have the reason to use them (along with my accumulation of pens).

9. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

I've purchased a new mechanical pencil after a long time not using one. The short story is I've gone back to paper calendar and paper address book. The pencil I purchased is the Pilot Del Ful (bought an extra as well for backup). It's a very good design, great features. Retractable is must for me. The lead can be advanced either my shaking or by pressing the plunger. The shaker feature came along after I had stopped using pencils, so it's new to me, and I keep using the plunger. All in all, it is very nice plastic pencil.

xevious likes this.
  10. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

There's something beneficial about taking a writing instrument in hand and using it to write down information. Perhaps it's the slower pace, but I find I remember the information a bit better. Some say it's the "visual imagery" of the physicality. It's a fixed set of writings on paper that can be placed anywhere, visible anytime. With electronic devices, there's no permanence of the physical display. Another example is when reading a book. When it's a physical book, you end up with a tangible feeling of where different chapters of the book take place. Electronically, you don't get that.

But of course, the best thing is that something physically written down can be placed anywhere for a quick visual glance. Electronically, you have to bring up a document and then navigate to the desired position.

#210 xevious, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

I'm rather fond of the Pentel P205 and P207.

[​IMG]

xevious, Nick4305 and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Sharaz_Jek: I'm in agreement, although my preferences are the P207 and P209.. and for real ease of pocket carry the Pentel Kerry 0.7!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am and will probably always be a Pentel fanboy for smaller diameter leads. My preference is p209 for long writing sessions and Sharp Kerry in .5 for everything else. That said, I am a huge fan of 1.1mm lead for writing, so I love my Autopoints and vintage Eversharp. They are my favorite overall, particularly the Eversharp- mine is an octagonal, silver plated 1929 model that still works gangbusters after the better part of a century.