1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Leatherman for Outdoor Use?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Cody_2ZZ, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Hey all, I'm interested in a Leatherman (open to other MTs, I suppose) for tough outdoor use. It would be riding on my belt hiking and camping, perhaps hunting as well.

I already have the Wave, but I'm leaning towards not beating on it. I'd rather have a beater tool. So what would you recommend? I was thinking a Supertool 300 because they can be found pretty inexpensively and seem pretty tough. Price is definitely a factor since it's gonna be a beater.

2. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

For hiking, get a lightweight Skeletool ;) It an stand a beating too.

3. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

I could probably manage to get around the skeletool's aesthetics, but will it stand up to camping use? Weight isn't really a concern for me at all, even hiking.

4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

The 300 and the Rebar are good choices IMO because they have a saw, file, and awl. The file being the least obvious but it can be useful for maintaining an edge on a machete or ax.

znapschatz and atilano like this.
  5. scottT
    • In Omnia Paratus

scottT Loaded Pockets

I like my sidekick. Its extremely inexpensive and built well too. I've taken mine camping, beat on it at work and it still functions like new.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

6. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

I'd go for the Surge. At least that's the leatherman I grab every time I need to do something tough. A bonus is that the saw and file are removable, so if you manage to break them or blunt them you can replace them cheaply.

derfyled likes this.
  7. NutSAK

NutSAK Loaded Pockets

For hiking, I would take a smaller, lighter combo like a Victorinox Ranger and a Leatherman Mini Tool or Skeletool.

For regular outdoor/camping use, I prefer a simple tool that I can beat the snot out of and, of course, has the proper outdoor tools (saw, file, awl, serrated & plain blades). For me, that's the ST200. The ST300 will work also, but the ST200 has proven itself to me time and time again. Virtually unused ST200s can be bought easily from the bay of fleas for $20-30.

[​IMG]

8. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

For outdoor use, I would totally recommend the 111mm Victorinox OHO Trekker(plain edge even better). It is probably more rust proof than most LM products, and has all the elements I like for outdoor/camping use.

The relevancy/weight/performance ratio is perfect for me:

-large OHO blade
    -liner lock, but with additional back spring(in case your lock is broken)
    -bottle opener
    -can opener
    -large wood saw
    -small/large screw driver(also good for light prying)
    -Awl
    -phillips

znapschatz likes this.
  9. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I'll vote for the Super Tool 300, I've beat it up and it keeps working like nothing ever happened.

CNeal likes this.
  10. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cast my vote for ST 300 too.
    I just bought my second one as backup.
    No other one could be such a beater.
    Just my opinion...
    Nick

CNeal likes this.
  11. nine204

nine204 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman has a good warranty. Use the wave.

12. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

+1, except for the plain edge. Even though I prefer PE for just about everything else, I have found the OH Trekker serrated blade works very well in an outdoor/camping environment. Vic really got that one right.

Last edited by znapschatz, Feb 19, 2014
  13. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

I might pick up a Trekker just to throw in the hiking bag, but I just bid on a ST 200 because I was able to find one inexpensively (if I get it, that is). Thanks everyone for weighing in.

14. fkmtb07

fkmtb07 Loaded Pockets

For hiking and backpacking, I don't really find that I need pliers, so I don't carry a Leatherman at all. Usually I carry some kind of SAK, like an OH Trekker or Camper.

For car camping, fishingn, or hunting, where you're likely carrying a lot more tech/gadgets, the Leatherman is a little more useful. Then I carry a Wave.

15. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I'd use a Wave or a Surge -- OHO blades FTW. Leatherman's warranty is stellar, if you manage to break it they'll take care of you. If you don't need a OHO blades than the ST300 or Rebar are also great choices.

I use pliers constantly while hiking and backpacking. Potholder, splinter-remover, knot-unknotter, zipper unstuckerator, and so on.

Cody_2ZZ likes this.
  16. Dale

Dale Loaded Pockets

Super Tool 300.... It's a beast. It would be awesome as long as weight & size isn't a concern.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lou_G likes this.
  17. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

The ST 300 is one beefy tool. I ended up getting the original Super Tool and I like it so far. I'm still in the process of cleaning it up. If it breaks or somehow fails on me, I suppose I'll send it in and get the ST 300.

Pics to come.

Lou_G likes this.
  18. Agent Berry

Agent Berry Loaded Pockets

I want to pick up a Rebar for outdoor use. But that will be a couple years till then.