1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Keychain Tool

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by straightpuke, Dec 12, 2009.

1. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I don't like to carry a lot of things on my keychain and so I'm looking for one tool that can do many things so that I don't have to carry more. It doesn't have to have a knife because I already carry one.

2. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

"Best" is very subjective. :)

If I could only have one "tool", it would be a flashlight. If I can see in the dark, I can find whatever I need.

If I already had a light on my belt or in my pocket, I guess that a mini SAK or multitool (Squirt/Micra) would be "best". For me, anyway.

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Even when you nail down a specific class of tools best is hard to determine without other information and even then it can be slippery.

What tool have you had a need for is a good start.

4. ddml

ddml Empty Pockets

i'd say a Swiss Army Signature Lite.
    i know you don't need a blade, but the pen, light and scissors come in very handy.
    all in a very compact package.

5. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

Alox classic SAK here ;D

6. straightpuke

I would like a keychain tool that has a flat screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, and bottle opener. I can't really think of anything else I need. Maybe scissors also?

7. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

Utilikey

or

Rambler

8. kakinuma-kun

kakinuma-kun Loaded Pockets

Agree with Utilikey, which is only slightly bigger and longer than a big, fat key.

Also, Rambler is the best small, basic SAK, and knife blade is smallish, which meets your need since you carry another knife.

If you want to add an LED minilight and a retractable ball point pen, then that's the SAK Midnite Manager.

9. doctag

doctag Loaded Pockets

The leatherman micra would probably suit u're needs then

10. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

Utili-key :iagree:

- got mine as a gift a few years ago - can't believe how useful it is and takes up less room than some of the keys on my small keyring.

11. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I would have to agree with the Rambler based on your tool requirements, however if I was to only have one thing on my keychain it would be an Atwood of some sort. A Prybaby Mini Plus would do very nicely.

12. edgegiver

edgegiver Empty Pockets

Leatherman micra or squirt (scissors or pliers) and a photon light

13. mine4321

mine4321 Empty Pockets

I'd second that, except the Photon could be substituted with a cheap Chinese knockoff and be just fine.

I have both a Micra and a Squirt (yes, I've read the debate). I think the Squirt wins because of the tweezers. I also prefer scissors over pliers at that size range. It's a package opener, small knife substitute, wire stripper, etc.

14. straightpuke

Thanks everyone! I bought the Utili-Key but ran into the problem that it was difficult to open. I needed to use my nails to get it open. I'll play around with the Squirt and Rambler once they come in :)

15. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

it gets easier to open with use. throw it on your chain and forget about it till you need it. Every time I take it off, I end up regretting it.

16. Denyer

Denyer Empty Pockets

It's difficult to get a good Philips screwdriver in a keyring tool, so I'm inclined to add a Screwz to a cheap one such as a Gerber Clutch. Squirts are a bit too expensive to replace, IMO.

17. starless

starless Empty Pockets

With mine I don't use my nails at all. But I do need to use two hands and press down on one side and lift up on the other....

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

I guess it's a moot point now, but I think the Sebertool M4 is the best keychain tool ever. It clamps onto a split-ring, and you can remove it by opening the pliers. It has a cross-head screwdriver that is harder than any screw I've ever seen, and will drive screws much larger than it was intended for. The knife is easy to re-sharpen. The pliers are endlessly handy. The wire cutters are nice to have. The bottle opener is small, but it works.

The only catch is, you have to buy one on eBay because Seber-Tech doesn't make them anymore. But I've had mine for ten years now, so you should see similar life from yours if you get one.

19. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

I've never had a dedicated multitool or anything that I carry around, but I have carried a pico-widgy for quite a while. I just ordered a Squirt E4, though, to have for my circuit theory class. I can't wait for it to come in :D

20. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Anyone know how the IDL version compares?
    IDL Tools T10