1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Keychain Pen?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by hazna, Jan 30, 2010.

1. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking of adding a pen to my keychain... I've been looking at some threads and here a few I'm trying to decide between.  For me a small size is important. I'm not after a SAK with pen function either.

I'm thinking of either:
    Beta K
    http://www.connox-shop.com/categories/accessories/personal-stuff/axel-weinbrecht-betak-key-ring.html

Valiant concepts pen
    http://www.jsburlysflashlights.com/cgi-bin/ccp51//cp-app.cgi?usr=51I3598472&rnd=8834707&rrc=N&affl=&cip=58.110.61.171&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=valiantconceptssspen&cat=valiantconceptsflashlightparts&catstr=HOME:valiantconceptsflashlightparts

Telepen
    http://www.trueutility.com/pocket-tools-store/telepen.html

I like that the Beta K won't run of ink, or leak in the pocket.  It might be limited on surfaces that it'll write on though.  I'm worried with the telepen and the beta k where the pen lid attaches to the key chain.  I'm worried that the pen might come off and be left with a empty lid attached to a keychain.  At the moment  i'm leaning towards the valiant concepts pen, but it is a little more expensive...

2. billrehm

billrehm Empty Pockets

I bought a couple betas from Heinrick Ball's Grand Illusions site for a bit better price at http://www.grand-illusions.com/acatalog/Metal_Pen_Key_Ring.html.

It does write on most surfaces where there's any friction. That leads to my one negative -- the pen has a notable drag against the paper when you write with it, which I find annoying for anything but short notes. It's "ink" is also on the light side.

3. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

The Zebra F-301 Compact might be worth considering. Its longer than the others but is more of a true pen rather than a basic backup.

Ive considered getting a keychain pen since i took off my True Utility one (the one that preceded the telepen, the inserts were terribly unreliable). But frankly i can just pocket a Fisher Bullet Spacepen which is really really small but a proper full size pen when used.

2 is 1 etc i guess but if i lose my pen im sure i can find one nearby, unlike if i lost my pocktknife or my flashlight, both of which are backed up with a small knife on my keychain and my phone being able to turn the LED flash on constantly.

4. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

I agree with the Zebra F-301. Not ideal for a keychain but great in the pocket. It is my primary pen when I am not at the office. My backup pen is the tiny one on the SAK Compact.

5. rlocock

rlocock Empty Pockets

I don't carry a pen on my keychain (there is a chance of injury from a pointed object in the pocket :rolleyes:).
    A Fisher Bullet Spacepen is small enough to carry in the wallet or pouch.

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Fished also makes a good looking keychain pen. I think it's called the Trekker. The cap snaps well, and feels great in hand. That said, someone made the boneheaded decision of integrating plastic into the design where the split ring attaches in the cap, and in the base. The result of this was a base that shot off when I dropped my keychain. I've since reinforced both sides with tape and glue, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I would have preferred all-metal construction.

7. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

My favorite is the Inka pen. I like that it can be quickly pulled out for something like signing a reciept, or converted to a full size pen for extended use. I have used it frequently in both conditions. The fisher like cartridge writes smootly and the entire pen is gasketed for water resistence. I bought an SAK minichamp to combine the function of the Inka and my Rambler, but I can't bring myself to pull the Inka off.

http://www.writeanywhere.com/inkapen.html

8. JaredEDC

JaredEDC Loaded Pockets

I absolutely love my Inka pen with a Fischer refill inside. Its very secure on your key ring with the o-ring snap system. You can pull it out for a quick note without unscrewing or if you need a full size pen you can unscrew the body and reassemble in full size mode. Its not crazy expensive like some other keychain pens. I HIGHLY recommend Inka pen to everyone.

I bought mine on e-bay.

9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I too love my Inka pen. The Inka refills are excellent for my purposes.

10. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

have you considered a wallet pen? :shrug:

11. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

One more vote on the inka pen here. I too love the lightweight and disctrete, mini pen / full size pen options.
    I never EDC'd a pen before this, and wouldn't be without one now - It's raised a few WOW's and OOOH's from the EDC uneducated too

12. Chux

Chux Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Inka pen too. Always have one with me as a backup.

13. thelinuxcat

thelinuxcat Loaded Pockets

Inka pen, been carrying one for years.

14. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Valiant Concepts or the TEC Pico Pen.

15. Underhill
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Underhill Perpetually Hungry

I'm just curious, are those of you carrying the Inka carrying it on your keychain or elsewhere?

16. gracingthestage

gracingthestage Empty Pockets

My Inka has always been on my keychain. I've had it for over two years, and the ink just ran out three days ago! So I'm all of a sudden realizing just how often I used it, day to day.

Lee Valley (where mine came from) no longer carries the refills. Any truth to the rumour that Fisher space pen refills fit the Inka?

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Check out Lighthound.com for the refills. They carry them.

18. gracingthestage

gracingthestage Empty Pockets

Ach - I'm in Canada, so cross-border shipping costs for something like a pen refill are something I'd hoped to avoid. And I've answered my own question, by examining my Fisher pen - it's almost twice the size of the Inka cartridge.

Any Canucks know where Inka refills might be found in the Toronto area?

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

20. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Actually, the fisher space pen universal refills fit if you snap it at the shortest legnth and put the plastic end from the old refill onto it.
    Black
    Red
    Blue