1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Keychain Light?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Austinguy23, Mar 26, 2012.

1. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

There is no regular preon in SS, only in titanium or Al. Since you say it has a nice throw, I guess you are then talking about the preon REVO and not the preon PO. I agree that the REVO is a great little light, too bad it has been discontinued...

For my self, the best keychain light is the DQG II. Solid stainless, smaller than an E05, two great levels, available in neutral tint, reliable and efficient driver, amazing beam with a great balance of throw and flood. They are actually sold out but an improved version should come out soon. There is also a titanium version in the plans...

2. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Photon Rex for me. It's rechargeable from any 1.5v-3v battery, has variable light output plus flash and strobe function.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by TarHeelBrit, Sep 29, 2012
  3. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I would say the Peak Eiger 10180, but the Photons International (Muyshondt) Ion and the (various) JiL Lite CR2 torches also deserve mention....

4. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

After finding several brands of photon-like lights dead after being turned on in my pocket I went up to AAA lights.
    My Fenix LD01 served me well enough that I later got it in stainless steel.
    I later got a iTP EOS Upgraded stainless in a gift pack and immediately switched.
    I liked it so much I got a second SS and a spare aluminum one.

RE: Photon Rex
    I've got one of these too. I only pick it up once or twice a year and never remember how to navigate the UI properly. It always takes a few to figure it out... Probably why I never actually used it as a neck light as I'd intended.

5. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

I used a Photon Microlight for a while, but since I was using it a my primary, on-my-person edc light, I wanted more. I bought a Fenix LD01 and haven't looked back.

6. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

The Fenix LD01 is a keychain light?

7. bribo

bribo Empty Pockets

I like the one I Made best.
    [​IMG]
    I also like the 4 sevens titanium Preon as well.

8. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

SweeT!!^^ Love the trit.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Where is that hackneyed post stating, "...the one you have when you need it.":puke:
    I don't like anything but keys on my keychain; however, if I must, it would be the
    KLARUS Mi X5.

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I stick to simple, single mode AAA lights. I've had an Arc on my keyring for 4 or 5 years now.

When I have to replace it, I'll look at a Peak offering. I like moving a little off the beaten path for my personal kit.

-Trevor

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My S.S. Peak Eiger single-AAA keychain light is working out surprisingly well. It's bomb-proof, I do like the fact that it's Made in America, and it can take any type of AAA cell. I keep a lithium primary in mine. Puts out about 13 lumens, with plenty of runtime.

A nice feature is that once it's attached to my main keyring, if I need to use the light by itself, I can just unscrew it from the lanyard / tailcap section. Thick brass screw keeps the battery from falling out the back end.

13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I keep my Fenix E01 attached to the keyring with a small carabiner for that very reason. When searching for a keyhole in the dark it can be quite handy being able to hold your keys and light as one unit. At other times, especially if you're trying to be quiet, it can be really, really annoying having to wave your keys about when using your light.

14. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Nice !

It's based on the Lummi WEE right ? Is it direct driven ?

15. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

For the lower outputs I think a resistor is used, but the lummi wee is unregulated and direct driven.

At the moment my keychain light cycles between a photon freedom and my 38DD. I find even the smallest AAA light a little too large for my preference for keychain use, but I'd go for it if I need the added runtime/brightness.

Since other people are posting photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MrOG likes this.
  16. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

WEE don't have dual output, that's why I was asking if he used the same technique. Their light engine is indeed direct driven or with a resistor. Maybe a QTC could do a nice job ?

BTW, very nice finish on the 38DD !

17. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

whoop, I missed the bit that he made it himself. That's impressive job there!

18. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Man I wish. No way my wife would approve. No way I could live with myself. When I do win the lottery it's mine though! Beautiful light.
    [​IMG]

Nano for me.

TitanEDC likes this.
  19. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

I pick up a Maratac Polished SS AAA about three weeks ago, and it's a great key chain light. So much so, that unless it breaks, I found what I was searching for.

20. pl4stic

pl4stic Loaded Pockets

I just picked it a 4Sevens Preon 0. Good light for $25. Not much bigger than a AAA cell and dual mode.