1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Keychain Light?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Austinguy23, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Austinguy23

Austinguy23 Empty Pockets

What's considered the best keychain flashlight on the market, not considering cost?

I see that FourSevens has a new keychain model. Anyone have opinions on it?

What about Fenix's offerings?

2. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

For my money, it's been the Photon Microlight, with Inova's coming up second.

3. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

+1 ^^
    I was going to say Photon Microlight, and then I saw temujin already did so!
    I am personally disgusted by keychain lights that use normal batteries (AA, AAA, CR123) primarily due to their size and length (yes, iTP A3's and Thrunite Ti's are too big for a keychain, even though most will probably disagree).

The Photon Microlight is inexpensive, runs on inexpensive batteries that I get off the popular E-auction site, and fits right in with the keychain. Nothing annoying dangling about or creating awkward pokey shapes in my pocket. I love mine and it is my only true EDC light. (Even my beloved Streamlight PT1L, carried hundreds of days/year, or my Surefire LX2, also carried hundreds of days/year aren't "EDCd" like my Photon Microlight.

4. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

After a couple of months on this forum, I am pretty sure that there is no keychain flashlight that all lights hounds would agree on being the best.

For me, Fenix E01 is just about perfect. It has a decent output, and runs for hours and hours on a common AAA battery. Also, it is one of the smallest AAA keychain lights out there, at least to my knowledge.

6. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

You would be safe, and accurate, to say that there is no X that all EDC'ers would agree on as being the best. Where X is a keychain light, tactical light, weapon light, knife, backpack, beer, handgun, long gun, beast of burden, or any other thing an opinion could be hung on. (^_^)

7. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I know. Just trying to stay on topic :laugh:

8. Lynx
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lynx Loaded Pockets

For me, it is the Stainless Steel Maratac AAA.

I'm carrying this flashlight for over two years on my keychain and the battery was replaced only twice during this time. It never failed and looks almost new.

btw, prior to the Maratac, I carried a Streamlight Nano and lost its head. It unscrewed in my pockets and got lost somewhere.

9. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

I think the Fenix E01 is great. I used to have one, and I gave it to my dad because occasionally, he needs flashlight. Now it's pretty beaten up, the anodizing worn off, however its still working very well. He even dropped it many times, but doesn't seemed to have any negative impact on the light. It's rugged.

I'm pretty happy I won myself another Fenix E01 on a Fenix satisfaction survey recently.

10. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I think that "keychain" is a VERY relative term around here...

I don't like anything longer or wider than a house key on my keychain, so all the AAA lights by fenix etc seem huge to me. most of them are also too powerful for what I think is needed for a civilian EDC.
    To me, the best option out there today is a photon freedom:
    http://www.photonlight.com/led-keychain-flashlights/photon-freedom-micro/
    and if you really really really need something more powerful than that, then the photon rex might be good:
    http://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-rex-li-ion-rechargeable-flashlight/

I've put my photon light through hell and back, sinking it in petrol, oil, grease, paint, a lot of sweat, dropped it too many times to remember, forgot it in the washing machine, forgot it outside in the rain - and it is still working perfectly well.
    It might not be Titanium with tritium inlay (BLASPHEMY!), it's not made by surefire (RELEASE THE HOUNDS!), and it's not a custom made limited addition sprint run by john doe (OFF WITH HIS HEAD!), but it's the best flashlight i know of. :)

Chuck Norris Light likes this.
  11. Lynx
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lynx Loaded Pockets

brilliant said :D

12. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

My best keychain light is a Muyshondt Mako (AAA).

Heath

13. Glock 'em down

I was carrying a Fenix E05 on my keys for awhile. It's a great keychain light, but recently I switched to a Fenix E15 for a couple of reasons.

1. I like the higher outputs than just the low beam of the E05.

2. I'm trying to consolidate all my lights to CR123 instead of one or two with a AA batt and another one or two with a AAA batt. Thisaway, I just buy one type of battery and be done with it.

14. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

+3 for the Photon Freedom,I have two on my keychain and they add less "bulk" than one AAA light.

15. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I really like the 4 Sevens Preon in stainless steel- it is a AAA light, but it carries well and the brightness and throw are really good! It is also a really nice looking light and the stainless steel doesn't look awful like anodized aluminum does after pocket keychain carry.

16. simmerdownjack

simmerdownjack Loaded Pockets

I carried a Fenix E05 for about a year. It worked fine, but a little to long for my taste. I switched over the the photon freedom, and its the best I've had yet. Sits flat if you have it on a keychain. You can dim it as much as you wish as well.

17. egrep

egrep Banned

My vote would be the Steve Ku 44DD

MrOG and ericb445 like this.
  18. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I'll second the Photon Freedom. It's a tough little light and it weighs so little that you won't notice it on your keychain. The Fenix E01 or E05 are nice too but I prefer them for pocket, not keychain carry, due to their length.

19. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I have a 40DD on my keys every day...great little light. Looking forward to my 44DD at some point.

20. johnny dollar

johnny dollar Loaded Pockets

+1 :thumbsup: