1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best keychain ever (Troika Patent review)

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by computerpro3, Jun 28, 2010.

1. computerpro3

computerpro3 Empty Pockets

For the longest time I have been searching for a quality spider/valet style keychain. I tried the Bison Designs one from REI, the Wenger was good but expensive and brass so too heavy, and the EDC forums one failed twice on me (but John had excellent customer service and replaced them for free). Nonetheless, after having an EDC forum key spider throw my apartment key in the middle of a parking lot at 2AM, causing me to search for an hour just to be able to get into my apartment, I knew I had to get another one.

I did some research and through one of the kind posters on this forum, discovered that a company called Troika had the US patent for this style keychain. I tracked their US website down (it's like the only place on the entire internet I could find it for sale and ordered one.

http://www.troika-usa.com/product.php?productid=66&cat=6&page=3

Shipping was fast and cheap ($5 for USPS priority, 2 day delivery). I received the keychain today. It came in a beautiful sheath style cardboard box with a custom formed faux-velvet molded insert to keep the keychain in it's place. IF you were to give one as a gift, all you would have to do is wrap it. Presentation is a solid A for a keychain.

Upon opening it, the immediate impression is "quality". The presentation, while fantastic, is outdone by the workmanship - which appears absolutely perfect. Of course, I do not know how well this will hold up over prolonged use yet, but there are certain signs which point to intelligent engineering. First of all, the "balls" on the end of the stalk which hold the keyrings to the center circle are much larger than previous brands. This makes it much harder for keys to slip out. Second, and this is huge for me, is that it DOES NOT have a seam in the middle held together by two weak joints which constantly need peening. You can see this in the pictures below. This was the point of failure on the EDC forums model - the peens (not sure if this is correct term) would become loose, which led to the keychain expanding in at the middle seam. Combined with the too-small balls, the keys would constantly fall off. Third, the metal is simply higher quality - buttery smooth, yet firm spring gate action, and even the split rings are made of the same high quality, strong metal. It almost feels like titanium, but I know it's not as the split rings still retain the memory function that titanium rings lack.

Also, as a nice bonus, it comes with six standard split rings, PLUS a extremely high quality hook that you can use to clip to a belt loop. I forgot to take a picture of it (I took it off as I won't use it) but I can grab some later if people are interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Split ring comparision - Troika is on the left and EDC Forum model is on the right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keeps things hanging nicely!

[​IMG]

When it comes down to it, while $20 shipped may seem like a ridiculous expense to the non-initiated, my keychain is something that I not only use every single day, but that I must be able to rely on to safeguard about $100-150 worth of tools, depending on how it is loaded. I can't be losing keys constantly.

I'll report back in a month or so with an update, but from what I can tell already, this Troika Patent is a sure winner.

SamHaLeKe likes this.
  2. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. Maybe I missed it, but can the keys quickly detach in any way?

3. computerpro3

Yup, that's the whole point of the keychain. Just pull that little button back and they pop right off. Takes less than a second.

4. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

Is there any way you can buy more of the split rings to attach? 'Cause that was a problem with the EDCF keychain also...not enough split rings.

5. computerpro3

I'm not sure; I checked their site and didn't see anything. However, with 6 plus the clip, you get 2 more than the EDCF one came with already. In the pics above where I have all my keys on it, I'm not even using 1 of the split rings or the clip.

6. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Is the center portion of the keyring - the solid disk with the groove all the way around stainless steel or is it aluminum?

7. jymkym1

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

I to had the same problem with the EDCF keychain, (halves seperating, losing the rings) i fixed this with a small amount of Gorilla Glue in the inside center and haven't had a problem since, that was about 4 months ago. Gorilla Glue is tough stuff even on metal.

8. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have also had this problem with one of my two EDCF key spiders, though I didn't realize that it was the two halves seperating. I just bought a Bison Design key spider and used the actual key rings and attachments from it (they're larger than those on the EDCF) on the EDCF spider. I probably need to go back and look at EDCF spider and see if it needs an can be repaired.

9. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

nice pics, thanks

10. jymkym1

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

It's a simple fix, just use the Gorilla Glue, just a small amount will do or else you risk getting glue where it shouldn't be, this glue expands as it dries.

11. silat

silat Loaded Pockets

It looks very very much like Bison version. But this one is heavier duty? Can you show side by side comparisons? :)

12. computerpro3

It does look similar, but it's not. I don't know where my old Bison one is (had it a year ago) but this one has different split rings, more split rings, different hook, no dimple in the gate area, and longer travel required for the gate to open. It's noticeably smoother too; at least mine is. Keep in mind I only am comparing 1 sample with another single sample; I really shouldn't speak about an entire product based on such small sample size.

EDIT: Also, the Bison one has no stainless steel. This one is a combination of stainless steel and aluminum.

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I was trying to find the very best thing of its type and looked for a lot of input and thought I had found it. I was sadly mistaken. I will contact these people and see if they can do branding.

14. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Thanks much for finding these! I have gone through a few of the EDCF ones...they seem to fail after a bit of time invariably. My plan was to just buy extra's and replace them as they failed, but would much rather have one that is better built. I ordered one of their bottle openers too!

15. computerpro3

Well it would appear that we sold them out - it's now gone from the website and my URL is broken. Hopefully it's not discontinued.

Here's a few more links I found:

http://www.opamerica.com/troika-patent-p-2476.html

http://www.amazon.com/KYR60-MC-Troika-Valet-Keyring/dp/B00009R4CM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1277905094&sr=8-2-fkmr1

A post I found over at candlepower forums regarding longevity:

Not bad, 10 years of use! Hopefully I get as much mileage out of mine.

16. Nihility

Nihility Loaded Pockets

I know it hasn't been terribly long since you posted that, but has any contact/progress been made? I'd really like to buy one of these, and if I can support EDCF in the process, then all the better =D

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have tried calling them 6 times and have sent emails. I have not heard back from them yet. Not sure what is going on.

18. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I just got an email from them saying my order, which clearly said "in-stock" when I made it, is now a back-order...

19. diabetic

diabetic Empty Pockets

how can u possibly carry that much stuff in one pocket?

20. Cuso

Cuso Loaded Pockets

Obviously you haven't been around this parts long enough... ;D

Oaklington likes this.