1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best inexpensive tactical pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by SwampDonkey, Apr 24, 2020.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Loaded Pockets

I am rocking a Gerber tactical pen that I have had for years and it's a tank. After digging into the Pens/Pencils gear threads....wow...humbling. The Gerber was like $20 and I carry it in bag or in the center chest below buttons on polo/button down. Simple, effective and a cheap ink cartilage reload.

Challenge: $50 Max budget...what TACTICAL pen are you EDC'ing and or what do you recommend?

I'm a G Shock/Glock/make it good, fair, I can beat on it and feel okay and make it work kind of guy.

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’m not very tactical, so not really sure what gives a pen such attributes, but I guess maybe the Hiderer pen is in that domain. It does have a poky tip at least. It’s a wee bit over budget, but judging by reviews it seems to do quite OK as a writing instrument. I’ve considered getting it myself, as it seem sturdy and fairly priced.
    $55 for aluminum and $60 for stainless
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Hinderer-Knives-Stainless-Steel--96958

SwampDonkey likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

If 'tactical' for a pen means it can act as a kuboton -- I assume I got that term right -- then I think most any stainless steel or brass pen as well as some CF pens in the hands of someone with a bit of training could fill the role... Classic examples to me are a SS Parker Jotter and even the SS Sharpie. Many others exist; go to any pen seller website. Plus these would be in a stealth mode! :)

What am I overlooking?

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Fishin Fool and SwampDonkey like this.
  4. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Aside from a Jason Bourne movie, fighting with a pen seems silly at most and impractical at best.

5. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I have a WE pen that is a little above your budget. You may want to check out some of the Bokers.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

I get it....in a corporate American setting, you can carry and use without issue vs say a blade or pistol in a worst case scenario. If you have some basic striking skills, you add the tac pen as a legit option (imagine fisting the pen to stab pressure points or to hook and capture if someone is coming at you) adds legitimate value vs the :censored: Jason Bourne.

All good. My primary care doc (prior Army..like me) made a subtle joke about my pen on my polo....he does not work where I do, so I laughed it off. It "can" be a valued tool if needed. I get it if it does not make sense. I don't envision killing 20 crazies with my pen yelling like Bruce Lee. Simple option/tool. Hence EDC amigo.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't care which pen; or even if it is a chunk of steel designed to be a kuboton. Purely defensive as I understand it. Not a fighting tool that would be a first go-to for a major fight.

From Wikipedia:

Kubotan (sometimes erroneously spelled as kubaton or kobutan) is a genericized trademark for a self-defense keychain weapon developed by Sōke Takayuki Kubota in the late 1960s. It is typically no more than 5.5 inches (14 centimetres) long and about half an inch (1.25 centimetres) in diameter, slightly thicker or the same size as a marker pen. The material is usually of a hard high-impact plastic (e.g. Lexan). The body of the Kubotan is lined with six round grooves with a screw eye or swivel and split ring attachment at one end for keys.

I rest my case.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

SwampDonkey likes this.
  8. Matthew A.

Matthew A. Empty Pockets

Well, you can’t go wrong with a Zebra F-701.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Great pen with a major flaw...the crappiest refill ever and no acceptable mods to get a good one in it. I long ago gave up on them (I still have one that I converted to fisher space refill--not for daily use-only for outdoor backpacking/hiking). A Parker Jotter is my go-to cheap pen--as sturdy as the Zebra but with acceptable refills readily available. Strangely, Zebra has never deemed to make a G-701 (gel version)...that would've ticked some boxes for more people, I think.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  10. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I don’t own one, but the Twosun pens have been recommended by a forum member who owns some higher end Fellhoelters and should know. They can be found under budget on eBay and elsewhere.

I’m not going to get into the tactical debate, you do you, but I guess some of their pens might be considered tactical. At least they’re tacti-cool :)
    [​IMG]

11. SwampDonkey

Those indeed look stout and purdy. Yeah, the whole "tactical" thing is what it is. I just think a stout aluminum pen that is robust looks "kewl" and could serve if needed to break glass, jab, etc which is purposeful. When I travel for business, I can not take a blade or pistol with me but I can/do take a tactical pen and a few other instruments (to fly and or get in the building/security and not get fired). This type of EDC object has a purpose in my approach hence the question. The Gerber I have has served me well for almost 10 years. Having another item for a few bucks wouldn't hurt.

Given how crazy people are these days, you can imagine your limited options if you became stuck in a smaller corporate room when someone looses it in a real situation. Imagine having one door in/out and a glass wall/window that could be a way out. Being able to pop glass and exit or being able to multiple a tad of force (jab metal) versus plain open hand techniques, etc do offer value. Or you are on the road in a distance city in a rental and it breaks down and your normal EDC gear/levels are not with you because then can't be. An extra option is better than one option, hence the concept and reason I have one.

I suppose people hear the term and thing of some nut doing tactical pen martial arts, etc. If you do know how to strike or use a blade, etc , you will understand how an aluminum pen can be used to multiply force/impact. Basic Kali stuff (circle of 8 strikes), etc makes the simple metal reinforced pen a defense option.

"insert pic of crazy fake martial arts dude failing here" if you want to laugh or disagree, no worries. The fact this board exists and I can nerd out on a topic such as this with you gents works for me. :)

12. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a TactileTurn...slider.. going to try his redesigned small bolt action. The TT bolt small or even his new Bolt Mini are $30 over your budget. Built well but maybe not industrial or beat up ok enough for you.

The TiScribe is outside your budget..(dont own one..not sure how well it clips).. The KarasKustoms also start getting outside your budget.. I must say the strong clip has me using my KK Retrakt or TT in my jeans pocket more now that I'm not wearing dress shirts..

I don't own one but how about the Refyne Ep1 ... Ti is $65 but i heard of steel ones for $40.. It seems like a pocket carry pen that may look cool even if beat up.. Seems a reasonably priced simple durable bolt pen to me..

I associate tactical with durable and ever day carry.. many of my pens are fine for writing and carrying in a shirt pocket... but don't hold up well over long ownership...aka Jotter clips, rubber and plastic grips etc..

Tactical to me today means great for pocket carry and can disinfect after zombie runs to the supermarket...

Last edited by RMinNJ, Apr 25, 2020
    #12 RMinNJ, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Bad Company, SwampDonkey and jcombs like this.
  13. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Valtcan has some options just over budget. Manufactured in Asia but based in California

Grafton has their Everyman pen for $35, decent reviews and look nice.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

"Tactical" has no real meaning...only a marketing one. Any manufacturer can apply the "tactical" buzzword at their discretion. I'm reminded of the line from the Stones' Satisfaction tune: He can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me. :cool:

15. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

TC4 titanium (clip stainless steel) bolt action pen with tungsten steel glasbreaker for about $20 from China (Gearbest). Great value for money.

[​IMG]

SwampDonkey and jcombs like this.
  16. SwampDonkey

I dig it man

17. SwampDonkey

Grafton has some good stuff...never been on their site before.

18. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Think they have a sale going on now too.

19. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I forgot about the Hinderer Investigator. They can be found at the top end of budget, dependent upon color and materials. They are definitely tactical.

[​IMG]

20. SwampDonkey

Very nice and cool if you are carrying a Hinderer blade of any fashion! I did order up a double pack of Mossberg's I found on Amazon. Titanium tips and built like tanks by all reviewers. And cheap ahem...inexpensive. What I "may" do is take one of the two and do a few torture tests to see what it can or can't do and take some pics. See how it does against wood and maybe some glass.