1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Inexpensive Self-Defense Pen

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by TimmyBoston, Mar 19, 2009.

1. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

I agree. However, I don't think a second pen would be necessary, as long as you're okay with the fresh new Red ink your first pen is now putting out.

:cool:

2. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

When I think of a self defense pen I want it to do one think well, write. Most pens and writing instruments can be used as force multiplier/impact weapons in last ditch self defense situations. In terms of price the Cold Steel Shark and Stainless Steel Sharpie are one of the cheapest. The problem is that I rarely have a use for a marker on regular basis. There for it does not make my EDC cut. Still good products but they just do not fit my need. One of the pens I like the most that could be an improvised weapon for self defense is the Zebra F-701. I picked mine up for $7 at Staples. Here's what I like best about it 1. it writes 2. Stainless body is well made 3. and it uses a clickie so I don't have to worry about a cap. As for other self defense pens my experience is limited to the Schrade and Smith and Wesson model which retail for $25-$30. I have carried, used and sold quite of few of these. My only really complaint is that they are not clickie pens (my personal favorite) and the caps does not lock on the back. I have had a customer run out of ink in one of there pens but the problem was resolved with a fisher gel refill (I think that was refill brand/model). For many months I carried a pink Schrade Tactical Pen in office environment. 90% never noticed or cared, 9% liked the look and quality and 1% made a joke about it being a weapon. The clip on these pens can come a little use with daily carry in a jeans pocket so I recommend loctite them or checking on them every now and then. If you want an ultra cheap self defense pen, carry a sharpened carpenter's pencil. It's funny when I think of a my EDC items my "tactical/self defense" pens see the most use. Thankfully only for writing and usually it's bills. Based on the sucess of the self defense pens on the market I will not be surprised if more and more of them hit the market. Hopefully at lower price points.

3. davidnl

davidnl Loaded Pockets

A caution about the Zebra 701...I liked it too until I found how easily it breaks in half! Stainless steel wall is very thin around the grip area.

4. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

+1 on the zebra 701 breaking. I bought one today and bent it within 15 minutes of owning it.

5. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

The Lipitor drug company hands out hundreds of thousands of heavily made pens in stainless steel. Great quality and invisible. The only rub is you need to get them from someone in the health care business...or steal them from city hall.