1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Inexpensive Self-Defense Pen

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by TimmyBoston, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I still am of the mind that it is not a very good idea to carry/use any item from any catalogue that labels it as a "self defense" item. Special pens or weird shaped plastic items that have no real world function, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If you are attacked, and you use some pointy self defense pen, or shaped piec of plastic stick made to inflict harm, it won't matter that the cops won't charge you. Even if you walk out of the police station with the cops patting you on the back telling you what a good job you did on the lowlife, it's just begining. I'm sure soon as a screaming liberal lawyer consults with the perps family, they'll have 10 people swearing he was a good boy, member of the church choir when he was young, and the pillar of his family. A wrongfull death/injury suit will take what you've saved for old age, and you'll get off lucky if they don't garnish your wages till hell freezes over.

What is that dedicated kubton going to do that the butt end of a AA minimag not going to do? Or for that reason, a normal sharpy or Zebra 701 pen sold at Walmart?

Surviving the assault is only one part of it, surviving the aftermath without being a long term contributor of some lowlifes now life of leasure, is the bigger part of it. Take out somebodys eye or do some brain damage by hitting him in the temple accidently while thrashing around striking at him, and even some deputy to the deputy D.A. a few years out of law school, will have little trouble painting you as some sort of concrete comando.

Learn to use normal everyday items that can't be proven to have any conection to any self defense catalogue or mall ninja outlet.

That elderly lady who fought off an assailent in a church with a ball point pen, just used what she already had in her hand. The plain old Bic stick worked fine for her, left her assailants face kind of pockmarked. Made it easy to I.D. him. There was no repercussions for her.

Kubotons, jaw jackers, weird shaped micarta or plastic items with no function, self defense pens that look like they were made for a weapon, are a bad idea in the long run.

2. Furious Kang

Furious Kang Loaded Pockets

If some thug decides to sue you after you successfully defend youself from his attack and do him an injury. It isn't going to matter what instrument you used. You can be ninety yr old grandma and the opposing counsel is going to try to make you out to be a Tacticool Tommy.

3. omcjf
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

omcjf Sponsor Manufacturer

I keep saying that we are going to try and make a pen but other stuff keeps popping up and getting in the way. There is quite a bit more on the design side to get a pen done right. I swear though, someday we WILL get to it.

4. PocketWad

PocketWad Loaded Pockets

Not sure about that. I tend to think that if Bernhard Goetz had taken care of his assailants with a cane or walking stick--rather than shooting them--most of the citizens in New York would have been on his side.

5. Furious Kang

Furious Kang Loaded Pockets

I'm not talking guns vs legal weapons in NYC. I'm not talking criminal charges. And Goetz got sued by his attackers. I'm talking civil suit, the ones where they bring the poor supposedly injured BG into the courtroom in a wheelchair and he talks about how he can never work again or have realtions with SO because you were mean enough to resist his attack with force. I'm saying that if a BG wants to sue you. post-altercation. You'll get sued. And whether you take in stray kittens and walk old ladies to church, the BG's attorney is going to make him to be an angel and you to be a junior wannabe Rambo just itching to mete out some whoop :censored:. It doesn't matter what you use, if you injure someone else they can and will sue you.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

people laugh when these are brought up, but they are dang painfull to be struck with or jabbed in the ribs with:

Cold steel Sharkie.

CHEAP and brutally tough too. I paid $2 bucks for one and got a freebie form a knife store.....

7. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

Stainless Steel Sharpie

$6

[​IMG]

8. sandmountainslim

sandmountainslim Empty Pockets

I bought one of the stainless Sharpies to work as a an Impro-Kubo-PocketStaff and you are right the cap snaps onto the plastic refill BUT I seem to have fixed that problem by wrapping a piece electric tape around the seem where the cap joins. I don't plan to write with the thing anyways and would prefer the cap to screw on but it looks like it will work the way I done it.
    Anyone have an opinion or experience with this?
    Wp

9. squatch

squatch Loaded Pockets

I just picked up the SS sharpie and plan to test it out on a few boards. I will post results.

10. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

Only if you live where the law is on the side of the criminal. :evilgrin:
    there are a few places where you are still allowed to defend yourself, Texas comes to mind as one, I'm sure there are others

11. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Couldn't agree more. I have three of the older model with a white body and black cap. I sanded off the writing and they look just like big Sharpies. I carry one almost everywhere and I actually end up using it as a pen a fair amount. Plausible deny-ability and a bit of peace of mind for cheap.

12. GNSS

GNSS Empty Pockets

I've read the different comments with interest. I carry a Maglite AA flashlight with 2 split rings with 4 keys. I use it as a Kubotan. I also carry a Schrade knife and a Cross Townsend pen in chrome. The pen was inexpensive and I needed it for work. It is as sharp as I need it to be. It will give a sticking and keep on for as liong as I need it. It has a metal to metal fit and feels good in the hand. For use at night, I carriy a Maglite 2 C or 4 C cell flashlight. They fit like a big Kubotan. When I need a new flashlight I will carry a Maglight 6 C cell. C cells just fit my hand better than a D cell. I took classes at the YMCA. I took a basic Jujitsu and a fencing class. I feel confident that either the pen or Kubotan and my training are enough to stop weapons up to a gun. As a security supervisor I've never had to put my training to the test at work. I did have to use it once outside of work and I am happy to report neither my attacker nor I were injured seriously. The attacker walked away mad, but he did walk away quickly. The learning example with a pencil and eraser I learned is to use the pencil and eraser on the back of the hand. Rub it roughly across the nerves on the back of the hand. It doesn't take much pressure so be kind doing it. In my line of work it makes a difference what is used. For this reason I don't use any advertised self defense items. Thanks for all your information. I like to keep current with my training and technique. My life may depend on it at any time!!!

13. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Heavy metal pharmaceutical pens. They're fairly inexpensive, and quite solid.

My overall favorite design comes in a variety of names which can easily be found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sonata-Metal-Capped-Pen-a-true-beauty_W0QQitemZ310000392707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item482d769a03

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sanctura-one-of-the-hottest-new-releases-capped-metal_W0QQitemZ310178386083QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48381290a3

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nexium-Capped-Metal-Drug-Pen-nice-writing_W0QQitemZ310178386406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48381291e6

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Metal-NEXIUM-Gel-Pen-with-Cap-and-Gripper-Rings_W0QQitemZ300353503112QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ee76bf88

http://cgi.ebay.com/Provigil-Heavy-Blue-Silver-Pharmaceutical-Pen-New_W0QQitemZ120391553012QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c07e54ff4

The cap snaps on pretty tight, and the little rubber rings help for a better grip.

I stocked up on these when I was able to get them for around $5-$10 each with free shipping. There a little more nowadays, but the "Sanctura" looks like you can probably get it for for $10 total or cheaper, with the "Best Offer" option. Really though, I never hesitate making an offer an any "Buy It Now" item. Hey, the worst they can do is say no.

Anyway, there are a ton of options if you do a search for "heavy metal pen", and prices vary.

Personally, if I was to buy a "tactical" pen that's specifically designed to serve as a solid defense tool (which I have), it'd be the Schrade. For around $25, you can't beat it. It'll deliver the same payload and produce the same results as many of the *waaaay* more expensive pens.

The only drawback with tactically designed pens is that they tend to get noticed, especially at the airport, which is why I prefer to carry my pharmaceutical pen, instead.

14. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

In a life-threatening situation, "opposing counsel" should be the last thing on anyone's mind, if at all.

I'd use a "bat'leth", if needed.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

When I first found these, they were soon sold out. Now available again, I decided to snag one.

Fred Perrin has an excellent reputation. Ironically, I primarily ordered one due to the stylish design and low price. Having once worked as a professional pen salesman, I can honestly say that there's quite a bit of overpriced models and even pen lines out there. (And one of the biggest offenders is one of the most popular.)

Mainly curious as to what my $20 will get me in terms of quality. If it turns out to be useful for self-defense, even better. At the very least it's a stylish pen.

Here's a link:
    http://www.edcknives.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=3012

16. voskjt

voskjt Empty Pockets

I agree with the carry non-suspicious items mentality, but two issues that come to mind, pens that are clickers, meaning that the pen could be clicked within your pocket or during use(both can happen accidentally), and as soon as it punctures skin you no longer have a pen -- but a 'dagger'. Another issue is carrying 'sharpie' type pens(including the 'sharkie'), if your young and live in the city it could be considered of a graffiti implement, plus cheap pens with caps tend to have shotty durability. The other thing is that some keychain lights are too small to cover across the palm, they might make a good fistload but nothing to right home about when trying to use it for hammer fists.

I'd be weary of carrying items that look like you just picked em' up from the army surplus store, it's not going to look good when the officer asks you to empty your pockets, and you have nothing but camouflage items with words like 'tactical' written on em. Perhaps a good solution would to have an 'obvious' kubaton on you when your not going into 'protected' premises and when you find your self heading towards one leave em in the car and carry a minimag light(that fits across the palm and then some) with you instead.

17. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

TO THE POINT ! And any other type of pen or pencil .. [within reason] .. Thank goodness we can still carry them on flights <)

BE WELL .. GH

18. GNSS

GNSS Empty Pockets

After reading about the different pens and the concerns about price and construction, I went to ebay and tried to buy a favorite good quality pen. I had no trouble buying a used Cross Century Classic in chrome for $6.00, shipping and handling included. It is all metal, except for the caps tip. It is more than enough for me to feel confident I can defend myself. I hope this information helps someone!

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My Perrin pen arrived in the mail. Initial examination . . . Disappointing. I realize that the pen is made to a very low price-point of only $20. But I've handled pens that were less expensive, and displayed better fit & finish. The cap fits over the point and snaps closed in a very slightly sloppy manner. Clearly the so-called DNA Sampler has a much more practical purpose than just use for self-defense. It fits into a notch that prevents the cap from rotating around the pen when in the closed position. A situation I encountered recently when I bought a Parker Vector at Wal-Mart. The old Vectors had a nice, tight, fit. The latest one I purchased had a cap that just spun in place. Very annoying, very disappointing to see quality slip on such a good, inexpensive, rollerball pen.

I'll post an update after I carry the Perrin pen for a few days.

20. Jeriah

Jeriah Empty Pockets

General response on the topic of how well a pen works after it's been used defensively:

It doesn't matter.

Really, honestly: how often do you need to stab someone? 2-3 times a week? Okay, time to quit using a pen, use a knife instead.

For the rest of us, for whom stabbing someone with a pen would most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I'm not that worried about whether I can still write with me pen after I stab someone with it. I'm going to be on the phone with the cops, at home throwing up, whatever. I'm not going to be like, "Oh, dang, my pen broke, I'm out five bucks. NOOOOOOOO!"

If you think you might need to urgently write something immediately after stabbing someone with your pen, carry a second pen. As a backup.