1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Inexpensive Self-Defense Pen

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by TimmyBoston, Mar 19, 2009.

1. 1*

1* Empty Pockets

Pentech Matisse. I have them in silver, black, and coyote brown. They go for $5.99 at Rite-Aid.

2. frankfurter

frankfurter Empty Pockets

I was not impressed by the Perrin Pen. It has a plastic piece that is part of the tip. Not saying the pen doesn't feel solid and weighty just didn't think plastic had a place in a tactical pen. As well when I received mine the ink did not write well at all. I felt like I had a cheap pen always having to scribble before it would write. I would suggest a black parker from wal-mart the IM Stick. I wish I knew the model. It basically is the same build and weight as the Perrin without any plastic parts or a pointy-ish bit on the body side, with a better ink insert and slightly cheaper and easier to find. Not saying I don't carry my Perrin just saying this Parker might be a better option.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Parker-Barrel-Medium-1737245/dp/B000UV7TH6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1239889003&sr=8-1

3. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Jeez, people sure are anxious to spend serious money on a defense pen. Just out of curiosity, how many people actually train with something like one? Almost everyone I personally hear about wanting to get one has no clue about how to use one, they're just tacticool pens. Might as well save money and learn how to ward off an attacker with a #2 pencil or a rolled up magazine (and I bet I could make millions by painting a few of those black or ACU and selling 'em on eBay).

4. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Hmmm. Well, I think your point is well taken. Ideally you'd like both ends of the pen to be impact-proof. I can't comment on the writing part
    because I've only tested them briefly after I received them. I still like them, though, because they don't look like something designed by the military
    or a set designer from a Mad Max movie.

I've looked at some of the Cross pens like Jacknife suggested, and I like 'em. My only reservation is that they seem a bit slim and expensive for a cheap SD pen ($30 ?); and the ends don't look especially blunt -- although Cross pens are still a good option, I think.

Years ago there were Chinese-made steel pens that had LCD clocks in them; I have one or two but haven't been able to get them working
    again. A stainless steel tire pressure gauge is a pretty good hunk of steel, but looks unobtrusive only if you are a mechanic or have a flat tire <grin>.

I've noticed that Surefire has redesigned their pen, making it a click-retractable pen. Than won't allow impact on both ends, either.

I wonder if the guy who makes the EDCF keychain stainless pen from Jon's JSBurlysFlashlights.com Web site could make it a bit longer....say 4 inches...<hint hint hint>?

Those Tuffwriter pens look nice <folks, get one from JSBurly and support EDCF!>.

5. Mister Scribble

A tactical pencil! I love it! :laugh:

But it has nothing on my own invention...Tactical Spaghetti...or maybe Tactical Dental Floss?

:idiot2:

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

For me the choice would be a gun. really belongs in the self defense section.

If one were to use a pen as a weapon I don't think toughness is the only factor. I think a factor that is just as big is the grip. if you cannot hold onto it or it slides up in your hand too easily I would think i would think it would have less utility in this application.

7. Mister Scribble

Well taken, but in the cities gun laws are very strict. Attitudes are very different, also.

Also, I think it would be a last-ditch option only. I think as someone else said that training (or not) makes all the difference. We're not all Takayuki Kubota!

8. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Jokingly or not, I have only had to show someone once how effective defense with a #2 pencil can be. I was nice - I used an unsharpened pencil and only the eraser end at that. It was a very short lesson (only two light jabs) and gained me a lot of respect, especially since I am an old fart and badly out of shape. So be careful what you joke about. :evilgrin:

Mostly it is a matter of the resources at hand and more importantly the will to use whatever you have. I'm pretty creative and more than willing to put an end to an attack if I cannot prevent one from happening in the first place. I've heard it put it this way, "Don't tick him off - this guy don't dance."

Too many people spend money on a defensive weapon and have no training or will. The stuff hits the fan and then they hesitate or even just blink. Better to do nothing if that's the case.

9. Mister Scribble

You're right, I was thinking about that as I wrote the response. But most people don't have the
    proper training.

I'd be interested in what moves you demonstrated.

One problem, though, is that during a scuffle it is difficult to always find the appropriate pressure point or target. And most of us haven't even done any sparring.

A college fencing master once noted that for him, even a pencil was a lethal weapon. But he knew how to use it from long experience.

I've heard that sometimes it's even better to act crazy and mentally disturbed. Criminals don't like unpredictable situations in which they can lose control. They often leave the real crazy ones alone.

10. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

A study of anatomy and physiology are some of the keys. Those will provide you with many, many targets for both pain and physical incapacitation.

The best moves are the simplest and most direct, that makes them both fast and effective. Knowing how to grip an every day object and what the strong points of that object are determines how it can be used and how to use it most effectively as a weapon. That's simple physics and engineering but during an attack is not the best time to analyze in detail what your available options could be.

You buy time and can reduce distance in an attack (assuming you want to attack) by using nondescript items like pencils, rolled up magazines, or even a hard cover book -- if it doesn't particularly look like a weapon by the time your attacker realizes you actually have a weapon it is because they are in extreme pain or have broken bones or joints or they never get to figure it out at all.

I personally think it is better not to attract any attention at all. Acting different might back off some attackers but not all. If you do decide to respond (and often it's better not to), the response has to be as fast as possible and the best ones are the ones where the other guy thinks as he's losing consciousness, "What hit me? I didn't even see it coming." W.C. Fields was right -- never give a sucker an even break. If you aren't even though of as a threat, the threat you pose is greater.

Many self defense pens not matter if they are expensive or cheap tend to have a certain look about them that says "tacticool." That's OK if that is what you want it to say, but I'm a big believer in coming in under the radar. Trust me, a pen with sharp ridges and reinforced points could raise an eyebrow even from your grandmother but who is going to look even once, let alone twice at a #2 pencil or a hard cover book?

I like interesting things as much as the rest of us but some of these pens are about as subtle a defense item as a Gil Hibbens Rambo knife. That's OK, but buying one and then expecting to survive an assault without any training of any sort at all is setting up to fail and in a very bad way.

11. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

If someone ever mugs me with a knife first thing im doing is telling him im HIV+. Doesnt matter that im not, doesnt matter that they probably wont believe i am, but it will always make them think twice to coating themselves in my blood.

12. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

You, a rational person, would care about it. A person mugging you has already displayed very poor judgement isn't rational. They may not care, or maybe HIV + themselves.

:topic:

A pen isn't a substitute for a weapon, but if you can't get to a weapon, or have then pen in your hand, a well placed jab can get you out of bad breath distance.

13. Self defence pen?

Here is a really cheap option. The Pen-Pal-Compliance-Device-(PP01) from Niton.

http://www.niton999.co.uk

14. azntony85

azntony85 Empty Pockets

Another vote for Zebra F-701. I have the 701 and the mil-tac pen and let me tell ya, I wish I did not buy the mil-tac. Although I love the mil-tac for its quality, but i'd hate to carry and lose it. As someone stated earlier, how many times are you gonna use a pen for self defense? If its once, shame on the attacker, if it's twice, shame on you. The 701 is solid enough for at least a one time self defense, i highly doubt it would break or damage. BIG UPS FOR THE 701! 701 + fisher refill = $10 and AWESOME!!!

15. Mister Scribble

Couldn't find the Pen-Pal on their site last time I looked.

Do you have a URL for the Pen-Pal on the Niton site? TIA.

16. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

OMG, the same argument again. I guess that the idea of someone defending themselves is just offensive to some people. You claim that no one trains with these things and yet you go on to ask who trains with these things? How about this: Whoever wants to defend themselves and/or those they care about, please feel free to do so, regardless of whatever training you have. I think highly of anyone, young or old, trained or not, who wishes to defend themselves or others against those who intend to bring harm to them. It is that simple.
    For what it is worth, I have training in combat techniques. I do not, and really hope not, that everyone else thinks they have to go through some sort of training to stand up to the bad guys. GO FOR IT! Take down those who wish to bring harm upon you, and do it without hesitation! End of discussion.

17. jmbrowning

jmbrowning Loaded Pockets

Pen Pal compliance device

18. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Well, you totally, completely missed my point.

Way too many stinking mall ninjas who buy the latest gimmick but don't have any idea how to use it. Way too few people who actually try to learn how to effectively defend themselves (good that you do). I got no problem whatsoever with folks defending against any attack. Sure would like to see more people know how to really do a good job of it and not just add fodder to the newspaper obituary page. Well, not for the victim anyway. Better survival chances for a trained "victim" and better odds of the bad guy(s) not getting away with it without at least a bit of a limp.

Just owning a swell new pen or OC ain't gonna do too much if the stupid schmuck is so panicky that they can't even remember where they put it. Now if the victim knows how to be aware, prepared, and maybe even willing to put up a defense, that's probably going to end better for everyone except the bad guy.

As for other weapons and no training, there's a guy on trial near here who shot a kid he claims was breaking into vehicles with his buddies and then attacked him. Only problems were that a). the kid was shot in the back, b). it was outside in the open on the street and not too near, let alone inside his house, and c). the other kids who were with him have different stories. The guy is now facing manslaughter charges and knowing juries, he's lucky it isn't more. Sucks but there it is. Maybe a few hours on the range and taking the gun owners legal classes offered around here would have been better one way or the other in a case like that but now he's charged with a major felony and right or wrong the kid is dead.

Hey, should I also mention the kid that got shot in the head the other day because the people in the house completely FORGOT that they even had a gun in the house? How was that going to help them during a home invasion? Another two people got shot, one to death, going to the aid of a woman but they were unarmed. Good, heroic intentions but the bad guy is accused of shooting one of them, killing the other, and killing the woman, AND two other people later that day. So maybe it is not a good idea to just stand up to the bad guy(s) unless you do have an idea of what to do, even if it's calling the law and yelling "fire." These three cases ended infive dead and two wounded within about one month just in this area. One other fact to pass along is that the two fatal cases were in very suburban communities, so be prepared wherever you are.

So what I'm saying is that it might just be way better to spend the money on training and to have the vaguest, tiniest clue as to how to take care of bad situation than to just get stuff 'cause it's bright and shiny. Better survival odds for them and their family and more bad guys stopped.

I have no problem with people having self defense tools but most folks don't even have a freakin' clue as to where to begin. Problem is that they make others look bad and make far too many of the bad guys just laugh at them. Kinda like buying a car and then wondering why you get into trouble just because you never bothered to learn how to drive.

19. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Let's try to keep this thread civil and on topic, please.

DB

:tardis:

20. Mister Scribble

Thanks, but it doesn't look like they ship to the USA. If I read the site correctly, shipping for orders
    under 50 British Pounds is... 30 British Pounds?! Also, looks like they only take PayPal, which I don't use.

Ah, well.