1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best 'Gadgets' for Key Ring

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Evan03, Oct 3, 2015.

1. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

I like this Space Gun (by Kikkerland) They've got some other fun-looking items which I've yet to try.

[​IMG]IMG_0670b by Quod Erat, on Flickr

2. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

If that could provide you with some inspiration, here's mine:
    [​IMG]IMG_0255 by Gilatabar Glabu, sur Flickr
    I'll :censored: a small prybar on there one day, I bent a key one day because I didn't have one :nah_disagree:

3. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I see similarities :)
    [​IMG]

4. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Edit: Added pic

Love this and will be sharing it with my kids.

I agree with the safety pin idea, but become frustrated at how they tangle my keys. I'll have to think on that a bit for a solution (electrical tape?).

I love my Vic Classic with GID scales. Once charged, it is really bright. After the evening commute home, I pass from the garage through a small, dark laundry room and then into the house. I have dropped my keys in the dark laundry room many times. The Vic makes finding the keys a snap.

Back before I discovered Vic Classics (more than 20 years ago), my go to keychain tool was my Vietnam-era P38. They make great make-shift knives, screw drivers, pry bars, scrapers, pokers. I've even used one to scratch words onto surfaces as a last resort communication method. I still keep one in my wallet.
    [​IMG]

Tony Sal, O_G, theirishboxer and 4 others like this.
  5. sixracer

sixracer Loaded Pockets

Good call on the Tec Accessories. I decided to go direct via their site for my suspension clip over cheaper Chinese seller on Amazon. Picked up a few spare clips too. I love a SAK or Ladybug on the keys but want a quick release way to go TSA compliant.

--
    Sent from mobile, please excuse typos

Evan03, Tony Sal, Bowman1911 and 3 others like this.
  6. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Tec Accessories never disappoint.

And if you pester TECENG enough he will even post some pics of some of the new gear he has coming out after tormenting us with teaser pics.

7. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Brtsmpsn
    Everything else is just a CAD model or 3D print at this point, not worth posting :rofl:

Tony Sal, Dorian, Bowman1911 and 2 others like this.
  8. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

It is always worth posting.

9. sixracer

sixracer Loaded Pockets

How about the Swiss Card multi-screwdriver? Has a hole so I think it would fit a key chain. They are only about $4-$5 on eBay or Amazon.
    [​IMG]

--
    Sent from mobile, please excuse typos

Evan03, Tony Sal, No Agenda and 4 others like this.
  10. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

Nitecore Tube
    Nite ize Doohickey
    Sanrenmu GR5-605
    58MM SAK

Evan03, Brtsmpsn and theirishboxer like this.
  11. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

i edc the Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 32GB for $10.99 its a great piece of tech to throw on your keys.
    [​IMG]

12. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

I would suggest setting it up as detachable from the rest of your keys, as you can damage a USB port by hanging weight off of it

13. deanfx

deanfx Loaded Pockets

Laser gun is awesome!

14. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Agreed, but the transfer speeds are very slow. Transcend do similar devices that are faster (including a USB 3.0 drive which is about half the size)

Brtsmpsn, Lorenzo and theirishboxer like this.
  15. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

I hate bulky key rings, so I have a lot of these same tools, but distributed in my wallet, etc.
    KNIFE, with scissors, tweezers, cap lifter, and small screwdrivers- Swiss Army Knife, either the Mini-Champ or Manager on the keychain
    FLASHLIGHT- good ones in my bags. I usually just use my cell phone, but often clip a little Fenix to the ring, especially when travelling
    PEN- I used a paper clip to make my keychain pen into one I can clip into my wallet, where it sits with some folded paper, I barely notice it there and when I need it, I have paper ready as well.
    CAN OPENER/P-38- this came in MASSIVELY handy once and I carried it for years... but not anymore. So few things come in cans now that I don't bother, but it would make a decent mild-duty pry tool- I may need to reconsider that.
    USB- carry in gear bag but not on me. Everything I used to carry on it with me I now store on the cloud and can access with my phone or any handy computer.
    NOISY TOY- I LOVE this idea! I downloaded an app for the phone (Pocket Comedy, you kinda have to search for it for some reason) that does a lot of this, but I really like the laser gun!

16. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I don't use a key ring but I have a few keychain tools scattered about my bags/jackets/wallet:

Victorinox Classic, carried mostly for scissors, nail file and toothpick.
    Whistle, either the Vargo Ti, the Nitecore Ti or a larger orange plastic emergency whistle.
    USB drive(s) with several portable programs, including encryption, operating systems (Tails, Qubes and a lightweight "standard" Linux distro, which one varies), troubleshooting utilities, FTP programs, torrent programs, Notepad++, VLC. And a "few" more. A secure (enough) computer away from home).
    Polystriker, fire steel. Not the greatest but small and light.
    Nitecore Tube. Great backup light, can be charge with USB.

17. joejeweler

joejeweler Loaded Pockets

NOW we know WHY you don't have a keychain!

Man,....you're SUPPOSED to carry it in your PANTS "Pocket"! :eek:

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

By the way,....I still carry an aluminum cylinder "Pill Case" with screw on top (with an o-ring seal) to carry some Ibuprofen and several days of my High Blood Pressure pills,....just in case I'm stranded somewhere. When I use to play High Stakes Blackjack regularly I often extended my intended days there,....so the pills came in handy!

Last edited by joejeweler, Nov 30, 2015
  18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'd like to just add more votes for some of the items already mentioned:
    • Nitecore Tube light is great. Far brighter than its size or weight would have you think -- 45 lumens at high output. I have found though that if my pocket is packed (or if the pants or jeans I'm wearing are a 'bit' tight, this light sometimes gets turned on in my pocket. Usually no big deal; just plug it into the laptop via USB and recharge at home base.
    • For a basic, light weight knife that includes scissors, tweezers, toothpick, and nailfile I hang a SAK Classic on my keys. Has the extra advantage of not being scary to non-knife people. Other knives (e.g., a Spyderco even though small,) can be misconstrued by the :censored: as a 'weapon'... no joke.
    • I include a NiteIze 'doohickey'; hangs on keyring by its own carabiner clip; has a primitive pry capability plus a cap lifter. Can be used as a box opener. Less than $5 at all kinds of places you can just walk into..
    • But in addition I have a small Ti prybar, about an inch long from County Comm
    • I am a huge fan of TEC Accessories P-7 danglers. I did buy off Amazon; they do carry a full line of that company's products; not Chinese fakes!
    Oh year -- and the keys. :p
    Moshe ben David

Brtsmpsn and Bowman1911 like this.
  19. soul777toast

soul777toast Loaded Pockets

Just an FYI, PNY makes some great metal clip-on drives, some of which are USB 3.0 with very decent transfer speed. Unfortunately the smallest (physical size, not capacity) of them only comes in usb 2.0, but even the bigger ones are still pretty darn tiny and the convenience of the built in clip is fantastic. Here's a few pics, the 32gb is the size (again physical, not capacity) that's only USB 2.0 and the other two come in usb 3.0 in a range of sizes (THIS time I mean capacity! ;P ):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The new Doohickey looks different from the old one. The new one looks like it has some points and edges that make it less pocket friendly than the original Doohickey. Has anyone tried it yet?

Tony Sal, Brtsmpsn and theirishboxer like this.