1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best functional G-Shock for under $100?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Knifestyle, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I like the solar/atomic ones... is there one that comes with the plastic plugs?

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Im not sure, looks like all the g-7900 comes eith black hardware and gw-7900 comes with regular.. I just order 4 black rivets for around 18usd (shipping was pretty much 70%), so they are not really cheap :(

3. takai

takai Loaded Pockets

Anyone have a DW5600E? Im after a beater watch for use in the garage. The 5600 looks to be much more slimline to the wrist than the GD100 (and others), and thats useful when reaching into cramped engine bays and stuff.

However, what is it like for durability? Does that slimness impact on the robustness?

4. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

5. Doug507

Doug507 Loaded Pockets

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I have owned literally dozens of G-Shocks and have not found any appreciable difference in "toughness" among them. My Mudman did not outperform my 5600e in actual mud, the 6900/6600s took no less of a beating than my solar atomics (BTW, I've only had two Gs die in the field, and both were solars whose batteries gave up the ghost). They are just all good, solid watches.

6. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

Are you really needing to work on vehicles with a watch on? 13 years as a Master Auto Technician and the first thing I did after unlocking my toolbox was to remove watch, bracelet, ring, etc. I still have a hard time keeping them on for a real long time because of that, stopped wrenching for a living 8 years ago.

That being said, I would imagine the slimmer you can get a watch, the better. I have a hard enough time getting my arms in and out of a modern car's engine bay, jewelry would make it much more difficult. I hope you have skinnier arms than I do. Or more importantly, don't get paid flat rate. :D

Doug507 likes this.
  7. takai

takai Loaded Pockets

Haha, i don't get paid at all. I take all other stuff off except the watch, which probably comes from habit after spending the first 5 years of my wrenching life working on rally cars in Parc Ferme. Which means you are under the pump for time, and need to be able to keep track of it.
    These days i just work on my own cars, and very rarely anyone else's. Plus only about 1/4 of the stuff i do is on the car anyway, lots of other stuff working on bikes and karts and stuff which isn't as cramped (plus race cars are optimised for access in some ways)

Lou_G likes this.
  8. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I always see arguments about "Which G-Shock is toughest" and the answer is, if it is tougher than the arm it is on, then it is tough enough. I figure if my arm were crushed and my G-Shock was still working, the EMT would probably cut it off anyway. :)

That being said, I love Kings... more for the look than the reported extra durability, though.

Anson and Doug507 like this.
  9. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

This string is interesting to me as I too am considering a G-Shock purchase. I would use when traveling or working outside when I don't want to scuff my Seiko. Doe anyone have one of the varieties of the GA-100 line? If I get a G-Shock, I really want the analog / digital combo face.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Best G-Shock under $100? Heck, why stop there, we can get it down to under $50... check out the classic DW-5600E-1V.
    So you could buy two of 'em with a Benjamin; one for now, one for later, and still have money for a pizza tonight. :p

Doug507 likes this.
  11. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

the ga100 line has a large bezel and strap, same as on my gd100. has good function but the analog hands are very hard to see on some colorways and I dont think any of them have luminous paint on the hands.
    Here are a few other in the ga line up:
    ga 110, ga 120, ga 150, ga 200, ga 300.out of these I prefer the ga 110 as it has the same module as an edifice model I once owned.
    There is a line up of all analog g's called gac, they share similar xlarge cases as the ga series but less functions.

12. lethgar

lethgar Loaded Pockets

Is there a smaller bezel model that still has atomic/solar?

--sent from the phone of an angry scotsman.

13. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

The awg-100 is both solar and atomic, has world time, 5 alarms, cdt and stopwatch.
    [​IMG]

The strap on mine is not stock. It has a medium sized case which is larger than a dw5600 but smaller than the dw6900.

14. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I quite like the GA100C, the version with the green hands.

A "problem" is that the LED only light up the hands, so you can't read the LCD in the dark. Also, the STW is only 100min, instead of 24hr which I much perfer. It does have a 24hr CDT though.

Otherwise, its big, its tough, and it sells for less than $100. :)

15. aswan

aswan Loaded Pockets

SurvivePenna sealed the deal for me! I just got my 6900-1 in and it is a killer watch! I've been using the time display and timer functions primarily so far. The only downside to this watch is you can't see the current time in other modes on the watch. Other than that, a superb piece!

SurvivePenna likes this.
  16. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

No not at all, my 5600 has seen hell and still works flawless.. After all, its a gshock.. and yes it is alot more slim compared to other g's. That slimness causes it not to get caught up on stuff like a higher watch would do.

Doug507 likes this.
  17. warrior_oh58d

warrior_oh58d Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a DW-9052 for several years now and never take it off. It's held up through fights (LEO) and everything else I can put it through and it's been great and still looks good. At sub $50 at Wally World it's hard to beat for me. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Congrats. The GW6900 is really a great watch. For some reason, I feel like the numbers are more crisp than my other G-Shocks ...

Anyway, the "current time in different modes" feature doesn't appear in many of the solar/ atomic solar G. To name a few would be GW9200 Riseman, GW9300 Mudman and GW9400 Rangeman in the Master of G series. I guess Casio doesn't implement that into the solar G unless it has at least 3 rows of numbers. Or many of the Pathfinders has that.

I wished Casio would put that into more G cause it's so useful

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thread locked. I have edited or deleted 7 posts in two pages.

Stating where to buy at what price is deal spotting and is a violation of Rule 12.

AK Adventurer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.