1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best functional G-Shock for under $100?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Knifestyle, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

I'm finally looking into a higher end beater watch for when my Seiko needs to sit on the bench, obviously a G-Shock is going to be it. However, looking at all the models on Amazon for under 100 I got pretty overwhelmed and lost.

I'm looking for a purely functional piece, black and durable, not a fashion piece. I'm looking for as many usable features as possible that will be worth paying more than $42 for the basic model.

2. Rattlecan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rattlecan Loaded Pockets

gshock mudman

KnoxButler, Josh and trickcunningham like this.
  3. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

The module for the non-solar/atomic 7900 is a little better IMO. It's still quartz accuracy, with five alarms, 24 hour countdown, 1000 hour stopwatch, and it shows the time in all modes. The solar/atomic version shows the original time you set it to countdown when you are in countdown mode, as if anyone could possibly care about that. I've used one as my gym watch for four years now. The buttons are big enough to press when my hands are shaking or with gloves, it's still on its original battery, and it has survived being taken to the sauna, steam room, hot tub, and pool repeatedly without leaking all this time.

4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Casio GW2310-1 G-Shock . Solar powered and Multi-Band Atomic time keeping. Less than $90 and built to last. Lots of my combat camera Sailors have taken them all over the world and rave about them.

5. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

The dw5600e is a great funcional g for under $100
    the mudman is a very good one as well, but the rubberised buttons are hard to push for many owners.
    if you want a large model g, the gd100 is a good choice, large easy to read display,5 alarms, world time, good stopwatch and cdt and many color options.
    The 7900 doesn't do it for me because of the fake screws on the face that always fall out.

patrat likes this.
  6. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

This. If you watch Amazon, the price goes up and down ~$20, but they were about $107 not long ago.

As for the screws falling out, I think if that happens to mine, I'll probably just fill the holes with GOTD epoxy.

7. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Another for the Mudman. I've had mine for about 2-3 years ( I can't remember ) and I use it when my dressy seiko doesn't want to get beat up ;)

8. Doug507

Doug507 Loaded Pockets

I'm with ox71. Don't dismiss the lowly DW-5600e. That little homely watch is flight-qualified by NASA, worn on the wrists of soldiers and LEOs around the world and even makes a dandy little watch for scuba. It has a LOUD alarm and the time remains visible in countdown and stopatch modes - the atomic/solars don't do that. And best of all, if you trash it, you can replace it at any Target of Walmart for $50.

Wolfhound0023, KnoxButler and ox71 like this.
  9. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I am also a huge fan of the GWM500a and GWM530a. Great looking watches and super cheap (usually around $75-$80.)

[​IMG]

Doug507 and SurvivePenna like this.
  10. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

The Military GD100 series is under $100 I've had one for over a year, and it's seen some pretty hard use. It still looks brand new

mhale1500 likes this.
  11. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Like FEF said above...the Casio G-Shock GW6900-1 (Atomic & Solar)....I absolutely love it !! :)

[​IMG]

12. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

I gave Casio DW6900-1V as Christmas gifts.
    [​IMG]

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  13. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Mudman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Its not really fake screws.. It is rivets which are designed to take the damage if you hit a rock under water as an example..

15. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

The GW6900 and GW2310 comes to mind. Both have all the basically timing function you need. (world time, 5 alarms with 1 snooze, 24hr STW and CDT). And they are solar atomic, which you can set you other watches / clocks to. ;-)

One feature that I really like about them is the GMT / World time display in current time mode. In the current local time mode, you can choose the display the date/day or a world time that you chose in the world time mode. That makes it into a GMT watch :)

16. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

• Edited per Rules 12 & 4
    MTG900DA-8V is the one I have and I like it a LOT. Atomic time keeping and all the usual functions.
    [​IMG]

17. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

Those are the only thing holding me back from buying a 7900. I am tempted to get one and replace them with the plastic "decorative pieces" which seem to stay put better.

I can't post a link, but search for item number 10330600 at pacparts

18. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I know I'm hair-splitting here, but I think this applies only to an old version of the DW-5600E which had a screw back. Personally I prefer the 4 screw setup as it's easier to change batteries without messing up the gasket.

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  19. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

You rock dude :p.. Absolutly loved your video.. So much love for your family in that watch! Due to department regulations i can not wear a watch on my wrist while o. Duty.. Also doing compressions with a watch on is extremely annoying due to the wrist angle, thinking about making a belt mount/loop for my g-shock with some black webbing.

Anson likes this.
  20. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just get one of the 7900 that comes with the plastic plugs from the beginning :p problem solved

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.