1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best folding standard utility blade knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jedi Knife, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone,
    I have never owned one of the folding knives that use standard utility blades, but I picked up a Craftsman aluminum lockback model the other day with a neat little mini one packaged with it and I was wondering who makes the best quality knives like these. I know Kobalt has a stainless one but that thing is super heavy. I am looking for current production models only. Any suggestions?

2. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have a Superknife, which is a folding design with a sort of liner lock. I think Gerber make them now, as Gerber Edge. Mine works quite well, but when I need a utility knife, I prefer Stanley/Olfa models with snap off blades. That way, I always have a super sharp blade when I need one.

powerring likes this.
  3. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I very much like the Milwaukee Fastback. it's a solid utility knife, has a pocket clip and a built in slot for cord cutting. It is a bit larger than others but I don't find it overly heavy and the additional length makes it fit nicely in my hand.

4. colt 1911

colt 1911 Loaded Pockets

I like how solid the lock up is when flick out.

Sak's rule !

Municipal_Jedi likes this.
  5. colt 1911

colt 1911 Loaded Pockets

Is this for edc ? For edc maybe the gerber

[​IMG]

Around the house, tool box I like the stanley

[​IMG]

Sak's rule !

6. Mr Thriven

Mr Thriven Loaded Pockets

I find the Gerber EAB and EAB Lite to work just fine for lightweight edc. If you want a heavier duty folding utility knife, the Superknife versions are good, but I have to agree w/Municpal_Jedi. The Milwaukee Fastback is top-notch for a good price.

Last edited by Mr Thriven, Aug 12, 2014
    lnytunes likes this.
  7. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

Thanks Gentlemen, much good information! Did you find the Milwaukee Fastback locally? Also the Gerber looks good too.

8. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I've found the Milwaukee Fastback in a couple of places out here in the sticks. Personally, I prefer the DeWalt DW10035 folding retractable blade model. It's fairly light, has storage for extra blades, gives a hand-filling grip when open and has the added safety of a retractable blade if it should come open in your pocket or toolbox

9. Mr Thriven

Mr Thriven Loaded Pockets

I picked up my Fastback at Home Repot in the 'burbs northwest of Chicago.

10. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the EAB. Handy little bit of kit.

11. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Dewalt makes a utility knife that's pretty good DWHT10046 and a lot better than the Stanley too.

12. el_duderino04

el_duderino04 Loaded Pockets

Home depot also carries them in my neck of the woods, in southern California. I'll agree with the others above, it's a very solid design, with easy deployment and lock disengagement. I've also found the small cutout on the bottom that exposes a bit of blade when closed is useful when cutting rope. If you flick it open, you just have to be careful that the lock fully engages, but that's not so much a fault of the lock as it is user error.

13. zlindee

zlindee Loaded Pockets

Seconded

14. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

This makes me so sad. The best edge I have ever experienced on any utility knife blade could be charitably described as adequate. I usually have to sharpen them before I can stand to use them. Yet I see people describe them as super sharp, which leads me to the conclusion that they have never experienced a genuinely sharp knife. So very sad.

15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Trust me, I do know sharp. And in my experience, the snap off blades are usually pretty darn sharp, at least for the first minute or so after you snap them off. They do not hold an edge at all, of course. That is exactly why I prefer the snap off blades.

16. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

Irwin folding utility knife for me. Blades actually last longer. Also really strong and easy to throw in the pocket.

17. Ainsley

Ainsley Loaded Pockets

I use a Lenox folding utility knife at work, of all the ones I've used or tried it is by far the best.

18. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I tried a superknife for a while but the blades kept falling out while cutting cardboard. I really wasnt impressed by the retention mechanism.

Since then I've been using the EAB and have had no real issue* with them. The size and weight are exactly what I was looking for.

*Maybe the blades are high carbon or something but if these arent oiled the blade then the rest of the holder will rust quickly.

19. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

My Gerber crapped out after minimal use - the screw that holds the blade in place stripped out. I have a couple of Stanley and a Milwaukee (simple, old school versions) and they're my favorite in my tool belt. I've tried a couple of the folding variety - while they are more pocket friendly, didn't find them as fast and as handy.

20. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

C.Boland93 likes this.