1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best EDC Whistle?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by jag-engr, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MyAGunn

MyAGunn Loaded Pockets

Duluth Trading Co. sells the Storm Safety Whistle for $7.50. It's orange and produces sound between 118-120 dB.

2. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

Orange, OH BOY.

Is it big?

3. MyAGunn

MyAGunn Loaded Pockets

It's about 3" x 1.75", I believe.

4. appletree_man

appletree_man Empty Pockets

I've started to carry the whistle half of this, I drilled a hole in the casing and threaded a small split ring on so I could carry it with my keys.
    It's surprisingly loud and high pitched for the tiny size. Of course if the case was cut down it would be even smaller. Just don't cut into the whistle chamber itself.

[​IMG]

Whoops i've just seen the opening post wanted non-metallic.

5. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

6. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Whistles are one of the most under estimated tools out there. I was recently speaking with a survival school instructor up in upstate NY. He was talking about the importantance of having a whistle. You will quickly run out breath and energy when calling for help in emergency situation. Try yelling for 5 minutes and then try blowing on a whistle for 5 minutes. Now imagine trying to do the same thing when you have a broken leg, 2 miles from you car in 30 degree weather. This instructor was aslo telling me that they have rescue dogs that are trained to hear a whistle up 10 miles away. That is quite a distance. To me a whistle is a cheap piece of insurance that weighs nothing and is legal to carry anywhere, so why not carry one. As for what whistle is best, well any whistle is better than no whistle, but I would go with the pealess whistle. One less thing to go wrong. The Fox and Jet Scream whistles are louder than aluminum whistles but cost more. I think the best buy in the whistle market is the Fox Howler. AMK has a 2 pack of this whistle for less than $10.

7. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

I've had a Storm whistle for years, but unfortunately, its shape and bulk make it rather unsuitable for EDC.

8. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Empty Pockets

Where does one get a wykeite whistle? Do they have a website?

9. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

It's not so much a "they" as a "he". He (wykeite) was maiking some great little whistles, got somewhat bored with them, and moved on to other things. He may be back someday, said as much before signing off, but I wouldn't count on it.

10. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, BlackKnight86.

11. BlackKnight86

Thanks, guys!

Does anyone know a really good stainless steel whistle for EDC (tube style, preferably)? I had read really good things about wykeite's stuff...is there a similar one of decent quality?

I just ordered a couple of the titanium ones from Unique Titanium....they certainly look really nice; I can't wait to try them out!

I'd love an Atwood whistle; but those are tough to find.

12. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Fox Howler.

13. Derek

Derek Loaded Pockets

Hey, not a problem. Just set this cat up with 400 clams an' it's yours:

Mint Peter Atwood Titanium Tactical Whistle with Card

Wow. I understand the durability; I understand the uniqueness; I understand the collector geek factor; I understand the EDC obsessive-compulsive factor. But 99.7% positive "custone" is asking four C-notes for a whistle. Maybe even with a straight face.

14. Diesel

Diesel Loaded Pockets

Big difference between asking and getting! :popcorn:

15. BlackKnight86

Well, it looks like he got it...Ebay said that the sale ended with "Buy it now".

I love Peter's stuff...have several pieces myself. But I'm a user, not a collector; and a whistle is a whistle....I wouldn't pay that much to save my own life. If the Uniqe Ti whistles are halfway decent at $29, then I'm cool with them. I've got lots of other whistles that I've experimented with; I'd like to give the tube ones a try now. I have an aluminum one from REI, and I like the way it carries. But aluminum gets pretty trashed in the pocket with keys and all my other stuff - that's why I'm looking for a good steel one.

Does anyone else make those tube whistles, that you know of?

16. appletree_man

I got one of these from the PDSA shop for £1.99. Very tough and machined out of one piece of metal (stainless steel I think but not certain). It hasn't shown any marks after a few months with my keys.
    Only problem is I don't know anywhere else to get them other than the PDSA shops ??? http://www.pdsa.org.uk

[img width=640 height=485]http://i34.tinypic.com/dhajwj.jpg[/img]

17. BlackKnight86

Thanks, Appletree Man!

That whistle looks great! How does it sound? You wouldn't by any chance have the product number, would you? I'm having trouble finding it on the PDSA website.

Thanks, again!

BK86

18. appletree_man

Me neither, I don't think it's on there, just in the shop.
    I'm down that way tomorrow so i'll see if they're in stock, last time I looked they were sold out :mad:

It's pretty loud, not as loud as the Fox and larger whistles but not bad at all for it's size. I should say they are not completely one piece, there's another metal part inside the mouth to make it narrow (don't know the proper whistle terminology), but it's very solid.

19. appletree_man

Nope, still sold out, sorry :shrug:

20. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]

Acme Made in England Tornado 635 whistle

Nice, loud, easy to blow pealess whistle that I got years ago at Brookstone.

I'm not claiming it is the best. I also wonder if it could snap at the bend. It is not the same model as another whistle I saw identified as an Acme Tornado.