1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best EDC lighter for a nonsmoker...

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by bryan123, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Doesn't get any better than a small BIC IMO. BladeHQ has Grindworx peanut lighters for $4.99 on sale and they look nice.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

For an edc lighter for fire starting I think Bic of almost any size are hard to beat in cost and dependability.

I have a Zippo for which I also bought a Thunderbird butane insert -- one with a soft flame and configured for pipes. An absolutely fantastic tool! Very reliable; doesn't lose fuel via venting. Considering I expect to have it for a long time, the additional cost of about $12 was marginal. Not to be forgotten is that if I decided I wanted more than one Zippo I an easily move the insert from Zippo to Zippo for a change of pace... So I don't think the extra cost is a worry. YMMV

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bic. Keep it close to your body in cold weather or rain.

Last edited by Mumbojumboo, Jun 12, 2017
    #43 Mumbojumboo, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

BICs are indeed great but if you like something refillable you can also take a look at this compact little gem on the left;
    [​IMG]
    Honest lighter, bic mini and a regular size armor zippo for reference.

The Honest is roughly as high as a bic bit a bit wider and a lot flatter;
    [​IMG]
    Strong enough brass case (with soft-touch paint that will undoubtedly remove itself from the equation sooner rather than later).

Does not tailstand because its too narrow, but it stays lit like a zippo as long as the lid is open with adjustable flame size;
    [​IMG]

Also very much like the zippo it uses a flint for ignition that's fairly easy to replace;
    [​IMG]
    The only downside is that the reservoir is on the small side (my guesstimate about half the bic).

Ive been carrying this one for a little while now and i really really like it. I think ill even order some more in case this one gets lost or breaks down on me, in the end its still that great chinese quality that we all love so much.

Don't have a model number but these can be found on your regular chinese marketplaces for very little money, i paid just over 3 euro's shipped for this one (dealextreme SKU: 21755 is anyone is interested).

Inner Prop and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I also opt for the Zippo with Thunderbird insert. I like the character of a Zippo. Over the years I have collected a few different Zippos and rotate my carrying between a couple different ones. The Thunderbird insert solves the evaporation problem.

I do also have a cheap peanut lighter that I keep in a emergency pouch, but prefer the Zippo.

6. Trout Sniper

Trout Sniper Uber Prepared

Got a Zippo( brushed steel ) as well as two Wenger's.....Zippo fuel and butane.... NON Smoker!

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk

7. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

As a reformed smoker i've taken to edc a slim (ladies size?) Zippo, they're worth the money if you get one that seals the insert properly to the casing. I was lucky and got one that doesnt evaporate too quickly as long as i keep it in my pocket, got Mrs. Truth a matching one in different metal and hers had to be changed since it wouldnt keep fuel for more than a day and the flame was off.
    Another thing about them, i cant explain it but it's been true with all the zippos i've had: if not "bodily heated" (pants, inside pocket on jacket etc) it seems they loose fuel at a noticeably faster rate.
    Dont get me wrong, mine still needs refueling once a week but the tradeoff with it staying lit and able to tailstand makes it my on person choice. I've seen other storm or trench lighters that are waterproof, sealed fuel, built like slender tanks (weird right?) but they cost an arm and a leg.

I do keep a bic (bics never let me down) in all my bags as a backup, just in case. :)

8. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

The St Dupont ping is a great sound. Easily recognized over any room/space

For non smoker edc I would say Bic
    I love my Dupont Art Decco, my Zippos, Ronsons and plastic ones with logos to my liking but at the end of the day a simple, ligth and small Bic is the logical choice. Then again, if hearth rules... ;)

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Trout Sniper

Trout Sniper Uber Prepared

The Fire Bag(Zippo, Wenger Clava (Butane) and a Wenger Fidis (Zippo Fluid), waterproof holder for matches and magnesium stick and flint......and some cotton wool( a few of those the wife uses for makeup)

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Inner Prop likes this.
  10. HarryN

HarryN Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info on lighters. I was on a very short hike at Lassen last weekend and realized 2 hours in how foolishly I had failed to be prepared with a simple way to start a fire in case of emergency.

11. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Personally I love my zippo but it is really a bit useless, that said as I don’t smoke anymore and I live in a city it’s not often I need it anyway.
    It’s just part of my weekly ritual to fill it

12. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

OP here. I wound up getting a Bic back in November 2017 and used it a total of twice since then both times for lighting birthday candles.

Thanks to all and hope this provides some needed closure :)

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

In my pocket is a zippo, carry over from my smoking days. It's my fidget toy from before they were the cool thing to have. I do use a lighter a few times a week so I never have any problems keeping it filled. I started collecting them when I was about 10 so I do have a horde now.

That said in my bag is a ronson butane and I have some bics tossed around here and there. While I like my zippos I'm well aware they have their limitations and faults. Those ronson lighters are dirt cheap and about bullet proof.

14. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

I have Bic's stashed everywhere and in every kit and they are all in Mentos gum plastic containers with a couple of cotton balls. Keeps them safe, waterproof and won't have the tab depressed to leak out the gas.

ran23 and Inner Prop like this.
  15. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I was thinking of doing this.

I thought about putting a mini-bic in a medicine bottle with a couple of vaseline soaked cotton balls.

I've used those small bottles with about ten ibuprophin or Tylenol in them as pill fobs before. They work great with duct tape around them and a small eye screw in the bottom to hang from a keychain.

16. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

This. +1 for a Bic.

17. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

What do you mean by “dry out”? Not enough fuel so run out quickly or evaporates when stored? I ask because I have a couple peanut lighters that I filled over 9 months ago and they still have fuel and light without problem.

mauiblue likes this.
  18. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

My Douglas Field S lighter does better than I thought it would in storing long term. I like it.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk

19. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I found that my peanut lighters dried out of fuel before I could use them. No matter (it seemed) how long they were in storage, when I tried to light one up, there was no lighter fluid in the wick and it would not light.

I've gone back to Bic lighters.

20. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

bic lighters are so reliable, but I hate you cannot refill them and need to throw them away when empty, even though they are perfectly working. So I said to myself I willl only buy refillable lighters with replacable flint from now on. I have a zippo and an old imco lighter (love the imco), but I like butane more, cause it does not stink or evaporate, so the clear winner of the day are the proven Clipper lighters. Quality is just like BIC,but they last much longer.