1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best EDC lighter for a nonsmoker...

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by bryan123, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I have two small peanut lighters but they dry out too fast to be of use to me. I think something that uses butane would better for EDC but only occasional use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

The first EDC lighter I bought was a Windmill Delta Stormproof lighter. I've owned it for almost 4 years now. I use it mainly for melting the ends of paracord when making my monkey fist keychains and sinnets. I've always wanted a Zippo style lighter and finally after all these years bought a Douglass Field S lighter. Wow, what a piece of kit! I've had it for almost a couple months now and it will be a great EDC lighter.

3. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I don't smoke but my BOB, hiking, and camping kits all include Bics.

adnj, smokingfish and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Bic lighters by far. I have never seen another lighter that is as durable and reliable as a bic, and they're so cheap in bulk.
    I stash these things everywhere, home car work.
    Of course you should always have a special lighter, but nothing beats a bic dollar for dollar.

adnj and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. madjoe86

madjoe86 Loaded Pockets

Bic for me too. I just usually carry one in my pants pocket & a spare in my bag.

Sent from my LG GPad.

6. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Ronson Jetlite

7. DrTom

DrTom Empty Pockets

D jeep disposables. Bic is great but these last at least 2x as long and are easier to light.

8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I agree that they are twice the lighter but they usually cost about $3 vs $1 for the Bic. They're are also a bit larger, hence lasting longer. Djeep are not that easy to find but I have never been anywhere that didn't have a local store nearby with a carton of Bic lighters available for sale.

If I were a smoker, I would definitely opt for something better than a Bic but for someone like me, the Bic is the best choice.

It's ubiquitous, has plenty of accessories for carry and storage, inexpensive, reliable, and the only example of superior French design and manufacturing that I can think of.

(btw: Djeep is French, also.)

Sent using Tapatalk

#28 adnj, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. broonzbane

broonzbane Empty Pockets

Vertigo Cyclone. Cheap and reliable. Triple torch butane. A favorite among cigar afficianados. Look no further.

10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Rereading this thread gave me a couple more points I'd like to make- first, Zippos aren't bad lighters if you're using them a lot and can keep them dry. They're just not great for throwing in a bag and forgetting about for months on end- they do evaporate and they've got their little foibles, but now that it's handwarmer and woodstove season, I can justify having a zippo in my pocket. I use a lighter almost every day to start a fire in our fireplace insert, so it gets used fairly often.
    Also, perhaps you would be better served with a two- source system. Personally, I usually keep a lighter (bic or zippo) in my pocket, and both a mini-bic and a Marbles match safe full of penny matches and a couple of striker strips (because the new diamond brand green tipped strike anywhere matches are worthless without the striker pad) in my bag. That way I've got a source of fire no matter what. It doesn't take up much room or weight. Something to think about.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

I don't know about the "best" but I saw one of the Grindworx peanut style lighters on Blade HQ for about $2.99 right now. Looks to have an o-ring so the fluid might not evaporate. I've considered trying one to see how they are but haven't made up my mind yet. Just figured I'd mention it in case some of you might be interested.... :)

12. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

+1 for Ronson

13. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Amen ! Sadly this is the truth. ........................ Although nothing compares to the feel & sound of a ZIPPO !

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  14. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Amen to that, @malraux72 ... that must be why I have a couple of hundred Zippos (althought all of the 'users' have butane inserts) and I have very 'holy feelings' for three or four of those Zippos.

I may have several Bics and use them as needed. But, they remain anonymous to me: I couldn't tell you which is the oldest or the most used or my favorite ( ... since I don't have a favorite one). Totally interchangeable and unmemorable.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 12, 2017
    #34 Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

I would recommend a minibic for EDC, its small and light. Butanegas dont evaporate. If you like a little twist and something more unique try a "Clipper", "Miniclipper" or a "Cricket" lighter. They are like Bics,plasticfantastic. The Clippers are widely used by youngpeople because of reasons and they are refill- and reflintable.nice, "cool" designs, too.

But be warned, this newyears eve i tried to light up some firecracker with my minibic. It was very cold, and a little windy. The bic failed me. I wished,i had my imco with me. so for special events,i recommend a gaslighter like zippo or imco, or a jet lighter.They have more power.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 on jet/torch lighters in the wind. Ask any cigar smoker!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.