1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best EDC lighter for a nonsmoker...

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by bryan123, Nov 17, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Serious question. The consensus is that a lighter is an important EDC item even for nonsmokers. So I'm looking for something that would be reliable even if used very rarely and compact/ easy to carry.

Thanks

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I hate to write this, but it's true: Bic for every day, and Zippo for special occasions.

Flexxx, bruno_go, Tony Sal and 11 others like this.
  3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Bics are great value for money, disposable so no problem if you mangle or lose one. Zippo's honestly are not practical in any way shape or form with the regular insert, get a butane insert and they are solid pieces; strong as an early morning fart and you can get some beautiful designs on em. My favourite tinker lighter is a blazer PB-207, dont get one of those fake ripoffs just get ther real one they are not that expensive. Not as strong as a zippo, not as cheap as a bic tho. These are miniature blowtorches that you can use for all kind of things!

Snoop65, Mr. Martines and bryan123 like this.
  4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

If you do go the Bic route and you're not going to be using it very much, put a twist tie from the grocery store around it, under the button, so it doesn't get pressed unintentionally.

I proudly carry a standard Zippo always, but I'm a smoker. I do have Bics in some of my kits.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

A word of caution on the multi-pack, 'value priced' Bics. I was setting up various bags to keep in the car, for edc, BOB, etc., and picked up a couple of these packs. Not until AFTER I got them home and cut open the bubble packs did I realize that one contributing factor to the 'value pricing' was that these Bics did NOT have any adjustment for the flame height. Never even thought to look for that. Just a word so you will be wiser than I was!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Haven't seen adjustable BICs for a decade or so in my country. But I don't care, since they are perfect as they are.
    Best lighter in the world. Will work perfectly until empty. I Also have a Zippo (Fuel evaporates fast, and it stinks) and an Imco, which I like better than a Zippo (fuel is better sealed), but the humble BIC is the best. No idea why I should want to add a Zip tie to it, I had never problems with one getting empty in my pocket. I have a spare one somewhere most of the time, incase someone needs one or my GF "borrows" mine.

bryan123 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I picked up some TorJet lighters from Amazon a while back. Similar in style and price to a Bic, but of the jet-lighter style which I prefer. They've been working well. Also my local Tesco are doing some very similar own-brand jet-lighters at a similar price and these seem to work well too.

Inner Prop likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You Sir are a Poet and don't let anyone say otherwise!

MinistryOfTruth and Mr. Martines like this.
  9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bic. They light just about every time provided they're relatively warm and dry (I've had a mini fail to light in extremely cold conditions, warmed it up in my pocket for a minute and it worked fine) and last a good long while. Cheap too. The problems are that they aren't elegant (I do love Zippos) and that they are not wind resistant in the slightest.

10. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

I really don't think it's necessary for non-smokers. When's the last time you needed a lighter immediately and couldn't just walk to the toolbox? I keep a mini Bic in my bag but have not used it for anything besides lending to smoker friends.

11. ChapmanPreferred

ChapmanPreferred Empty Pockets

Zippo with a Thunderbird blue flame insert and use their fuel canisters. I think I bought mine at cigarworld...but I bet they are on amazon as well. I have the double blue flame insert right now. In fact, the only insert from Thunderbird I don't have is the pipe insert. It brings a classic design into a modern tool of efficiency and grace.

Inner Prop likes this.
  12. toddbe

toddbe Loaded Pockets

Douglass Field S Lighter, you can carry it for months and the fuel does not evaporate. If you travel a lot it can also be carried through TSA.

Inner Prop and Ren like this.
  13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm a non smoker, have carried a True Utility jet flame type lighter for years now, it's hardly used but never fails to light when I've needed it.

I have one Zippo but it's pretty useless for me, even placing an inner tube over it doesn't stop the gas evaporating.

Inner Prop and Tony Sal like this.
  14. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

yeah, zippo's are useless unless you smoke pretty much, the fuel evaporates too quickly
    i wouldn't even bother with a jet lighter as an edc. they're great for camping and in the toolbox but you're probably only going to be using it to loan to smokers
    go for a bic

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yes they are.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. Zeljko

Zeljko Loaded Pockets

I had true utilities gasoline lighter but it's quite heavy. Smaller BIC version is only 10grams / 0.35oz. Also, if you point your edc flashlight upside down to the bic's bottom you'll see exactly how much gas you got.

17. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I have a butane Zippo. Had regular Zippos but they always dried out.
    Tried other brands of butane lighters ( still have them) but the Zippo has been the best.
    Now butane works for me as I live in the warmer climate and near sea level....

Lateck,

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Bic lighter; hands down. I have them stashed in cars and tools boxes. I carry one in my pocket when I'm in the yard.

They don't work when they are wet but a ziplock bag handles that problem. I had a failure only once - it was out of fuel. :eek:

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  19. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Let me expand on my comments in Post #2, above:

I still believe that the Bic lighter is, hands down, the most reliable and compact lighter for the money. And, similar to many of you, as adnj wrote, I have them scattered around all over my home and truck (no kiddies anymore, and the grandkids are teenagers, so no fire safety issues).

But, here are a few further thoughts about lighters (since I collect them AND use them):

1. The functionality of the Bic can be improved by adding a LighterBro or a Wick Light.

2. The waterproofness of the Bic can be improved with a fireSLEEVE. Or just use a ziplock as adnj noted.

3. For field use lots of options and backups are recommended: for a primary "flame source" look at Tisurvival's Exo Flame Titanium Lighter or the excellent Douglass Field S, then a Bic, waterproof matches, and a ferrocerium rod.

4. For more formal occasions try any number of the better quality Zippos (sterling silver or engraved ones or the thicker Zippo Armor lighters come to mind). The Zippos made for the Japanese market have some cool designs and are widely available on the Internet. Just be sure to get a butane insert. Unfortunately, the Zippo-brand butane lighter, the Blu, has a cheap wobbly-feeling lighting mechanism.

5. For you titanium Otaku out there: check out the titanium versions of the Zippo or the Carson War Armor, but install butane inserts.

6. For history lovers: try a WWI trench lighter ... although a hundred years old most are still totally functional and widely available on the Internet. Another historical option is a "match safe" (also known as a "vesta case").

OK, got chores to do, so bye for now.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Dec 12, 2016
    Inner Prop, Tony Sal, ori14 and 2 others like this.
  20. T-3

T-3 Loaded Pockets

How about the CC Peanut lighter? Small form factor that is easy to carry and doesn't look like a lighter until you need it. I received one as a gift in brass and the machining on the case is quite good.
    I've never used it so I can't speak to fuel evaporation, but the seem to be very popular and could fit your needs for occasional use nicely. Good luck!