1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best EDC light under $200?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by COfastwrx, Feb 12, 2015.

1. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

I am fairly new to the higher end of lights. I currently carry an older version of the PD35 but it stays in my backpack most of the time, and then I just carry a Fenix LD15 on a key chain. I would really like a nicer light that can be put into a jeans pocket and has a better throw rather than just the more fixed flood of the Fenix. I was looking at the LensLight KO or mini but I have no idea what else is out there in that range. I already use 123's for the Fenix and for my Streamlight TRL-1s but I am open to any battery solution, but I want something on the more powerful end if possible. I would prefer to be able to purchase it on a website if possible.

Thanks in advance for your guys suggestions!

2. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I haven't been buying a lot of flashlights lately, but here are my recommendations based on what I've tried:

CR123:

Zebralight SC32 (you can pre-order this, I think, at the Zebralight website) (great value, power, flexibility, runtimes)
    I've also owned several HDS Systems lights (back when they were RaLights and even just HDS), and you can't fault them for quality and flexibility

AA:

Zebralight SC52 (same benefits as the SC32)

3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

At 200 bucks you have loads of options! At that pricepoint you can get very specific about what details you like.

So you want a nice (?) pocketable light with some throw. Keep in mind that this in itself is a slight contradiction, as a general rule of thumb you need a wider head on your light for more throw but between the same narrow dimensions theres still some differences ofc. CR123 is a good battery size.

So what other things would you like on the light, and also could you maybe elaborate 'nicer'? Would the light be clipped in your pocked or loosy-goosy?

4. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

Northern, I was looking at the Zebralight SC600 MkII, but im not sure thats exactly what I want.

Wester, I see what you are saying with the size of the head. I am open to different battery solutions, I just want something high performance and has a nice build quality. That's why I was looking at LensLight, I just hear mixed reviews about them I guess or they are not talked about that much for some reason. I don't need to spend a full $200 but I am open to it. That's my other problem is how I would carry it. I usually carry my car key, house/office keys & a Fenix LD15 on a key ring and then a nicer semi large knife like a ZT 0562cf or Microtech Ultratech all in my left front pocket. My keyring doesn't seem to interfere with my knife hanging in that pocket usually. I have an iPhone 6+ in my front right pocket, so pace is limited there. I don't want to have the flashlight bang around if I can help it just like I want my knives to not get banged up either.

5. flatmosquito

flatmosquito Loaded Pockets

There is a new Eagle Tac 1200 lumen D25LC2 for ~$70. It requires an 18650 lithium ion rechargeable - Eagletac has top-binned 3400 mAh 18650 available, too. I would not call it the best EDC light - but it is durable, obscenely bright, and pocket sized.

COfastwrx likes this.
  6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Well i have quite a collection of as-small-as-they-get 18650 lights and i will not carry em in jeans pockets ever. Side pockets cargo pants yes, but very uncomfortable in jeans or other more regular fit pants. So i think 16340 is a good form factor here, AAs are fine as well (i personally stay away from 14500's because i know sooner or later the wife will use em in a household appliance and burn the house down).

As an EDC light i also dont think you need the runtimes of a full 18650 light (or 2xcr123 for that matter) everywhere all the time, if you are going to walk the dog at night might as well grab something better suited for the job (tho it is ofc possible with a smaller light).

What i have read about Lenslight is that they should be good quality lights, but i have no hand on experience with them thats why i dont talk about em much. TBH for the money they charge there's just so many other lights to choose from.... If you asked me what light to get at that pricepoint id probably say something like a nice titanium sunwayman. Like a v10r or something. But i am completely biassed to ti lights as the take a beating unlike anything youve ever seen and you van always polish em back up if you want to. Aluminium anodising, no matter how good of a quality it is; once its gone its gone. Lenslight also makes titanium lights but they range in to the 4-500 bucks iirc.

COfastwrx likes this.
  7. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

I'll look into eagletac, which titanium model of sunwayman will have the better output and still fit into a pocket? I am pretty unfamiliar with them.

8. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The best light in the $50-100 range (IMHO) is Peak, Foursevens, Olight, Eagletac and a couple others. Peak gets some bonus points being American made and having QTC for variable brightness (a win or loss depending on who you are).

In that "up to $200" range I can't think of many competitors besides TnC. You can get a Micro or Ultra-Lux in HAIII for less than $200. More or less those are custom lights. Still cheaper than HDS and more performance (lumens).

murrydan likes this.
  9. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

I feel like HDS is expensive for that standard 250 lumens they offer. It seems like sunwayman doesn't have any Ti models that have very high output either.

10. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Small thrower that fits in jean pocket? It's gonna be tough to find one. You might want to check out custom/modded lights over CPF. One of the modders is VinhNguyen54. Dude buys stock lights, make them better, and sell them for a reasonable price. He has cult-like following over there. I am basically done with buying lights except for one of his lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?371949-V54-Light-List

11. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

Hmm interesting. I'll have to look through his stuff.

12. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

I guess throw isn't as important then if I still want great output and a small enough size to carry in my pocket.

I just saw a few videos on LensLight and its throw seemed really good for what it was, with its lens and adjustments.

13. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

I really like my foursevens Ti preon running on IMR. Three modes wiTh optional tail clicky. Plenty bright. It's floody but pushing out that many lumens it has some pretty good throw also.

COfastwrx likes this.
  14. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

MBI HF-r is :censored: good. HDS Rotary rocks as does the Malkoff MDC.

murrydan and COfastwrx like this.
  15. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

The HDS is rated at out the front lumens. The 250 is what I carry every day! After investing in a decent charger & a pair of really good batteries, the combo has almost paid for itself in the short time I've owned it. My suggestion would be wait for JSB to get 'em in stock (he announced today he'll be carryin' em) and save a little more during that time. If $200 is your roof, you're mighty close to the price of one, and if, heaven forbid, you end up not diggin' it, you can sell it for what you've got in it.

16. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

So what is so great about HDS besides build quality? 250 lumens just seems low to me. I'll watch some reviews on it shortly

17. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Complete programability

Have gun, Will travel.

HimalayanHitman and COfastwrx like this.
  18. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

If you want a compact torch for beam throw, I've yet to find anything better than SureFire E1B. It's discontinued, but should be able to find one fairly easily under $200. A good price might be $100, and I've seen them for less (especially if not in mint condition).

Note that I like the E1B much more than the newer EB1, which replaced it, although the newer one is brighter.

At $200, that budget hits a "gap" in the market. Lots of options sub-$100, but nice custom torches typically start (new) around $300-400+

The HDS has incredible programmability. You can set up the user interface with an enormous number of options, to function exactly in the way that you prefer.

EDIT - yes, Bowman1911 was quicker to post, lol.

Also, by the way, an older HDS/Ra 170 with the GD emitter will be much less expensive, may have more efficient circuitry for longer runtimes on low output, and generally better beam throw. Also discontinued, and getting tougher to find though ....

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Zebralight SC600W Mk L2 18650 battery XM-L2 LED neutral tint - $95
    Multiple levels. Throws a big broad beam. 1020 lumens max output

20. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I believe that 18650 is very pocket able and about the only way (other than an 18500) that you will get top performance from a single cell light.

The Eagletac lights are great in Ti with a clickie. I love them.

If you want a seriously bright light that you can order from a website, I would suggest looking at Mountain Electronics. They will build you a semi custom triple. Those produce about 1200 otf lumens and up.