1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best EDC Flashlight for the price?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Kilgore99, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Kilgore99

Kilgore99 Loaded Pockets

I am out on an adventure trying to find the best, most compact and brightest flashlight for the money. I am looking to spend around $25.00 or less. As brightness goes, probably something more than 20 lumens. A flashlight with a button switch would also be great. Post pictures and comments below to help me find this "perfect" EDC flashlight.

Thanks for your input! :)

2. Sinus

Sinus Loaded Pockets

'the best' depends on your preferences, since you're the only one who knows.........

1. 16340/RCR123 - powered lights

Shur just wrote this in another thread:
    This should output a decent amount of light when powered by a single 16340 battery.
    And if you look for 'bright' as a main spec, you'll have to use li-ion rechargeables, because they can deliver the high current which modern LEDs need to perform insanely.

2. 14500 - powered lights

Xeno E03 - not so compact because it uses a clicky switch, but a good bang for your buck

http://www.hkequipment.net/?p=6&id=1411&lang=en&msg=Session Expiried!&s=

3. 18650 - powered lights

Xiaozhi EDC - hard driven at 2.8amps, neutral tint available, compact size for a 18650 light and a steal for just $16

http://www.fancyflashlights.com/goods.php?id=551

note:
    I suggested budget lights only, because you requested a good performance/money ratio.

Take2 likes this.
  3. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

For a small pocket light....I like the StreamLight MicroStream.

4. Kilgore99

Kilgore99 Loaded Pockets

How Large is the Xeno light? Is it "pocket sized"? I am wondering if it fits comfortably in a pocket and if you have ever owned one. If you have, what are some pros and cons?

5. Sinus

Sinus Loaded Pockets

No, I don't own any of these lights mentioned above, but I have #3 incoming and #2 is on my wishlist.
    I can compare the Xeno against my ITP as they're roughly the same size it is pocket sized.
    Regarding the pros & cons you can check the reviews and threads on this light in several forums.

6. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

The best price to output/build ratio light that I've seen is the Jetbeam BC10, 270 lumens max on one CR123, for ~$35 average... Small light and pocketable, solid build, 2 brightness levels, easy interface, and low cost. Comparable build in other brands are about twice the price. Only Cons I have with mine is the pocket clip sucks, and it won't take full voltage rechargeable Lithium batts.(but compatable rechargeables are fairly cheap)

G.

7. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

It would be much easier to give suggestions if you provided more specifics on what you're looking for. What's compact and bright to you might not mean quite the same thing to someone else. Also, what are you looking to spend? That factor alone will be able to rule a lot of choices in or out.

Sinus likes this.
  8. KAMM
    • The Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I second this. An all around great light. Bright, throwy, medium flood, strong pocket clip and I've dropped one of these guys so many times. And cheap!!!

TangoAlpha likes this.
  9. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Eh. With manufacturered lights the difference between awesome and nice is $30. I would prob shop once rather than twice.

fabian-789 and Gnarly like this.
  10. David Harvey

David Harvey Empty Pockets

Quark Mini 123!! All day, every day.

11. Gnarly
    • The Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Buy once; cry once. B'rer Blerv is 100% correct.

Budget lights are like walking on eggshells....or waiting for that other shoe to drop.

Blerv and Phlebas like this.
  12. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Most my nice lights end up as terrific second hand birthday presents. :p

Gnarly likes this.
  13. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

For $25 the Fenix E11 is awesome. Its a AA light that puts out about 100 lumens (105 I think?). Not as small as the microstream, but a good light.

blt2drg, drrobinson and sungame like this.
  14. Gnarly
    • The Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

If you are serious about Budget Lights, you should check out BudgetLightForums.
    Those guys are a friendly bunch, ( not cranially constipated / ego compressed ) like CPF, et they wring the HELL outta cheap lights....they call junque by its' proper name: JUNK.

The rest they keep.

15. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I like the iTP A3 EOS. Mine has low, medium and bright. I can't remember the lumens but it's very bright on the high setting.

[​IMG]

Shur, Gnarly and e2dwml like this.
  16. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Budget Light Forums is a huge fan of the Sipik SK68. It's bright and inexpensive. Has a clicky. Seriously though, less than $10 and you get a great light.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/1078

Gnarly likes this.
  17. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

I'm with Sarky. The iTP A3 EOS is an awesome light with 3 modes and uses a AAA battery. I get good run time on mine and you can pick one up on Amazon for around $20.

Gnarly likes this.
  18. Shur
    • The Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

The iTP is a great light, I own 3 and keep one on my keychain.
    It takes a AAA battery which are cheap and easy to find.
    I think you'd be paying more than double to get to another light that's significantly better (in this format).
    80 lumens on high.

The Trustfire 01 is a solid and tiny light but uses CR123a batteries. Not as common and much more expensive in brick and mortar stores.
    If you can get the BLF modified version that is mentioned in the first response that would be the way to go since you get a good low instead of strobe (as well as a neutral white emmitter).
    300 lumens on high.

Either of those lights is a great value at under (or at) $20.

19. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I like ThruNite's T10 - $20 shipped, AA, 115 high, 9 med, 0.1 firefly for 150 hrs

20. Shur
    • The Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

Have you checked for water tightness?
    I ran mine in a glass of water for about 10 minutes and found that the lens had fogged up on the inside, it took a week or more to go away on it's own.
    I know most people have had a good experience with ThruNite but based on my experience with the Ti and T10 I wont buy any more of their lights.

reppans likes this.