1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best EDC Bag for Under $100?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RCK, May 30, 2015.

1. RCK

RCK Loaded Pockets

I need a new backpack to replace my current one and I have $100 to spend. Some of the bags that I'm very interested in are:

5.11 Moab 6 (love the hidden CCW compartment)
    5.11 Moab 10 (love the hidden CCW compartment)
    5.11 COVRT Boxpack (like the not-so-military look)

I want to have enough room to put a Moleskine, pen, flashlight (Fenix PD35), Nalgene bottle, iPad, and maybe a thin coat, if room is available. Please let me know your suggestions and maybe a picture of your bag, along with the reason you chose that particular bag. Thank you!!!

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love my Moab 10 but the Moab are not Bacpacks too.
    The slingbag can be annoying to many.

The Rush 12 seems an obvious option then as it is an actual Backpack but the lack of that CCW spot leaves me a little cold to it too.
    Either way though they are good for the price and popular for it too.

There are so many good bags though under $100.00 there can surely not be a one "Best" bag can there?

EXCALIBUR likes this.
  3. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Rush 12 for me, there's many ways to custom to ccw!

billybatson and EXCALIBUR like this.
  4. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Not on your list, but I got the 3V Gear Posse EDC bag and quite like it. I purchased the 5.11 Covrt and didn't like it so much, traded it for a piece of gear.

5. CausticCrow

CausticCrow Loaded Pockets

Ive got the MOAB 10 and unless sling-type bags are your thing, I'd go with a backpack.

To help with your question, the only real input I can provide is dependent upon your likes. If you dont need a lot of organization, the standard Jansport backpacks (40-60$?) are great, and have a lifetime warranty. Ive had both the regular 2 pocket one, and the larger one with two main compartments and other smaller ones. and the only issue was a slightly ripped strap after about 5+ years of being thrown around. And I couldve easily sent it in to be fixed or replaced, I just wanted a new bag though.

If you want ample organization, great quality, and like the tactical look, I dont see how you could beat 5.11.

Right now I'm looking for a new backpack to replace the MOAB's single strap and tacticool look. Its just hard to beat 5.11's organization.
    I like the Covrt 18's look, but it seems to have significantly less organization options than anything from the rush or moab lines.

Not to hi-jack, but If someone can think of something worth looking at, I'd appreciate it.

6. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

not on the list but just at 100 USD the Mil spec monkey adapt, personally i love mine. does have molle but can be overcome with some mundane pouches. has a large CCW compartment

[​IMG]

This is the current set up i have it in

[​IMG]

Last edited by Moco, May 30, 2015
    Isla TX, RCK and tigz like this.
  7. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

This pack have proven its worth many years, and for less than $100, the value vis the frequency of use is in every penny!
    [​IMG]

nitaliano, EXCALIBUR, rr1071 and 2 others like this.
  8. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

9. RCK

RCK Loaded Pockets

Thank you for your suggestions. It looks like the Rush 12 is a popular bag on here and I have "invested" quite a bit of time in the "Show me your 5.11 bag" topic. That MSM Adapt also looks like a great bag. Decisions, decisions...

10. rr1071

rr1071 Loaded Pockets

I'm using the Rush 12 alot. I also own the Moab 6 storm - great "little" bag that is my murse-type-deal... the CCW is not full-size and if you are carrying, and stuff the bag full, it is kind of fat on your body. But actually now I have the R12 I'm starting to transition. The front pocket on the R12 seems like it could be used as a zippered CCW. Finally, another back I got on sale previously is the Triab 18, huge CCW. This is sling or backpack configurable. On-sale it was about $112. This is my day-hike pack in back-pack mode, and since I keep it a bit heavy @ 40-lbs, one of the straps started to un-thread in a very minor way at the very top of the attachment. There is a stress point on the straps on these if they are heavy, so to shore that up before it rips, I got a big needle and put like a hundred wraps in the stitching and now no-worries. It was worth that effort because it is a cool bag. Some day I hope to get the Triab CVRT version which is not tactical, but way more $$ for some reason. Hope this helps. RR

RCK likes this.
  11. Joshetect

Joshetect Loaded Pockets

I am using a Grey Ghost stealth operator pack in Coyote Brown. The concealed holster area is pretty well concealed, its not something you can get at super quick though.

http://imgur.com/FZ5YikK

12. RCK

RCK Loaded Pockets

I saw that bag in another thread yesterday, Joshetect. I like the looks of it, but I can't find many pictures of the organization. Which compartment is used for CCW? How long have you used the bag and has it held up well? I like it because it's discrete and doesn't scream, "I have a gun in here."

This is the review that I watched yesterday -

Last edited by RCK, Jun 1, 2015
  13. nitaliano

nitaliano Loaded Pockets

RUSH 12 is a great bag, my wife has pretty much stolen it from me, but it's a small price to pay for her to EDC!

MOAB 6 is a great small bag, but I quickly out grew it.

MOAB 10 is got plenty of room and organization...I can't use mine anymore because of some hardware in my chest, the sling sits over it making it pretty uncomfortable. I also found even before I had the hardware put in the sling became uncomfortable when worn for a while. Some people have no complaints, I guess its a matter of preference and how you load the bag.

14. Darrel S. Jarvis

Darrel S. Jarvis Loaded Pockets

Rush 12 FTW. Always had my eye on the Grey Ghost Gear line too.

15. Joshetect

Joshetect Loaded Pockets

That review is spot on with my experience with the bag. I had my G19 in there but its just a little too big for my liking, the 238 fits MUCH better. Its a deep concealment, but I want that. I can hand the bag to someone and its unlikely that they will come across the gun, not that I hand my bag over, but if it did happen I like knowing that they wont easily stumble upon it. For me its a backup gun and for times when carrying on person isnt feasible.

I too use the bladder area to carry my ipad, ipad in folio fits perfectly. the admin pocket has a few items and a spare 238 mag. The main compartment holds my med pouch, pelican case with matches, batteries and a few other items, and connection/interface cables for various devices.

I have had it for 6 months and its holding up well, no rips or wear and I use it daily. It gets thrown around in my car and sits on the floor under my desk at work. Its pretty comfortable to wear too.

My choices were between one of the MOAB's, this or the rush 12 ( I have a Rush 24) I liked how light weight and minimal this was, plus it looks more like a backpack then a tactical bag.

http://imgur.com/KnyWapy

http://imgur.com/ugTAFlS

http://imgur.com/qaSGJnF

16. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

The Grey Ghost Gear Throwback is an awesome looking pack, too... if you are looking for a non-military looking ROP. It is a little more expensive than the standard models, though.

17. GatorMedic

The 5.11 All Hazards Nitro would also be a good choice and low and behold there's one going for only $90 in the BST section... :smile_coffee:

[​IMG]

Moco likes this.
  18. RCK

RCK Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the recommendation, GatorMedic. I have a few more posts to go before I can see the BST section. Looks like it's time to welcome some new members to the forum!

GatorMedic likes this.
  19. RCK

RCK Loaded Pockets

GatorMedic, why are you switching bags? What bag are you moving into?

20. GatorMedic

For the sake of not duplicating posts, I just wrote it in the last post of the Show Us Your 5.11 Bags thread. It won't let me link it for some reason... Short answer is I bought it in 2013 when it first came out, but the role I bought it for disappeared after a couple weeks owning it because I was no longer at that job due to branch closure.

Last edited by GatorMedic, Jun 3, 2015