1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best corrosion preventative for carbon steel?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Blerv, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

I have a Tuf-Cloth for non-food knives and mineral oil as a general lubricant. Both have done a great job if used frequently and the blade has been kept clean whenever possible.

With a couple carbon steel knives in route I was just curious if you all have used something that's more impressive than Tuf-Glide/Cloth.

Thanks for your time!

2. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Balistol. You'll be amazed at it's uses apart from rust protection.

Blerv likes this.
  3. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I spray painted my machete blades in flat black paint. TNP advocates Dura Coat in spray cans. If these are food prep knives, oil is as far as I wold go.

Blerv likes this.
  4. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I generally don't bother, I just keep them as clean and dry as conditions allow and let a patina form. Petroleum jelly actually works quite well (Chap Stick tapped on each side and spread over the blade by a quick wipe of the fingers makes an effective field expedient.)

SurvivePenna and Blerv like this.
  5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone :).

I ended up picking up a small container of Froglube CLP paste on Amazon for $12 shipped. The non-toxic and non-offensive smell won me over. Plus I hear it does pretty dang against rust. Will let ya know how it works!

vinniec5 likes this.
  6. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

BOESHIELD by Boeing Aircraft Is excellent for storage and corrosion prevention. also can freeup stuck fasteners and electrical contact cleaner

Blerv likes this.
  7. VIGILANTgreyman

VIGILANTgreyman Loaded Pockets

Blerv likes this.
  8. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Mineral oil for every day use. Lps 3 for long term storage
    Jake

Blerv likes this.
  9. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

I've been treating all of my knives with Aegis Solutions EDCi Formula, good for corrosion resistance and food safe.

Blerv likes this.
  10. TDS

TDS Loaded Pockets

clean and dry and regular use works for me.
    irregular use knives get a little rice bran oil.

Blerv likes this.
  11. Likota

Likota Loaded Pockets

I use Labello lip balm. It's fast and easy to use and doesn't make a mess.

Adahn and Blerv like this.
  12. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Just use the knife and wipe the blade off once or twice a day with a clean dry bandana and it'll be fine. I carry a carbon steel knife in Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay. It's a salt water environment, sometimes on a family workboat out on the water. I've cut bait, wet line, and just wiped it on the leg of my jeans before dropping back in pocket. But later it will get wiped down better. It's stained into a nice gray patina, but no rust. Sometimes I'll smear some Chapstick on the blade and rub it around with a finger tip.

[​IMG]

Adahn and Blerv like this.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Maintenance is what the previous posts have articulated; whatever protocol that has been. I may be as simple as a "wipe-down" after use or as regimented as a documented process. This is the "best" corrosion prevention for carbon steel.

RichinVA, TDS and CitizenSnips like this.
  14. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

You don't need all that expensive lip balm and oil and stuff, it's just a scam to separate you from your money. Just take your index finger and get some natural oil from beside your nose or behind your ear. Works great. I've been generating this oil for over 60 years and I should know what I'm talking about...... Heck, if you use a stone knife like they used to have, you don't need to worry about rust.

Camellia oil also works well.......

<<< Even when the world is at peace, a gentleman always keeps a blade at his side.
    -The Strategies of Wu. >>>
    <<< Not all that wander are lost.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien >>>>

15. Likota

Likota Loaded Pockets

I don't buy lipbalm for my knives but I use lipbalm that I already have at home. It's an easy, safe, covenient and cheap method that I've used for years.

Adahn likes this.
  16. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

That's easy for you to say. My skin oils eat gold. I hate to think what they would do to carbon steel.

Adahn likes this.
  17. Glock Block

Glock Block Loaded Pockets

What in the hell do you eat?

18. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

I just use them and wipe them off. If you don't mind a patina and are just talking about rust prevention then just make sure you don't leave the blade wet. If storing for a while maybe put a thin coat of oil on the blades. For a good old edc knife though I just use, wipe or rinse off, dry and put back in my pocket. Anytime I start worrying about my knives too much I just remember my grandfather's 50+ year old pocket knives that were used and abused without a bunch of lip balm and high end oils yet are STILL in my dad's collection and being used with a sweet sweet patina and no rust. These are tools guys, they don't WANT to be babied!

Rasthor, TDS and Hangman like this.
  19. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Depends on the knife. A CRK is getting babied regardless of what it wants. A CRKT is getting beat on.

20. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

I use the hell out of my CRK. Handle is all scratched up, it has a tiny ding near the pivot from being dropped... I saved a LONG time to buy that knife and couldn't stand to let it just sit and look pretty. However, I know even the most hardcore users, myself included, have at least one knife they keep nice and there is nothing wrong with that. I just don't want people to be afraid to use their knives because they're afraid the carbon steel will corrode. I've only had one knife rust on me and that was because I put it back in my pocket soaking wet and didn't tend to it till the next morning. That was only surface rust that just rubbed off anyway.

Hangman and RichinVA like this.