1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Container for a PSK

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by capn_tack, Jul 19, 2016.

1. capn_tack

capn_tack Loaded Pockets

Aight. So I've been googling and searching this forum and am having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. I want a pocketable (i.e. in a decent pair of jeans or slacks when I need to dress well) container for a PSK.

I would like it to be non-crushable. And hard sided. Also, budget. Say $20 or less. So sadly awesome containers like SUMA won't work. :( And it needs to look slick. So an altoid tin or something like that won't do. (The altoid tin isn't rugged enough either.) I appreciate the help.

2. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

I would recommand a Nylon/Cordura container personaly but if you want cheap hard cases try chinese websites that sell small waterproof boxes, like gearbest and the likes.

3. capn_tack

capn_tack Loaded Pockets

Why would you recommend a soft sider?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

4. Tristar777

Tristar777 Loaded Pockets

Hi. Personally I'd go for something that you can put on your belt. Such as a BCB mini mess tin. Fits in a small pouch but you can carry good quality and full size emergency items.
    Jmo

5. capn_tack

capn_tack Loaded Pockets

I like the bcb mini mess tin. Bout the right size. How sturdy is it?

I do need whatever I get to be pocketable. Not belt carry. This is going to be a small part of a modular edc system I am starting. The tin will have bare minimum edc for when I am in uniform at work or dressed up for an event and have to leave most my stuff in a bag in the car. So it must be small and out of sight. The rest of the time I wear cargos and the tin will then go into something like a maxpedition in my cargo pockets for more preparedness.

sent from my magic box

6. capn_tack

capn_tack Loaded Pockets

My only problem with the bcb tin is it looks clunky. Since this needs to be on me even when at work I want it to look a little sleeker if I can.

sent from my magic box

7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

What about a case made for small electronic devices/hard drives/etc.? Some that I've seen are zippered hard cases and come in within your budget. Also, they look much sleeker than most survival tins.

8. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

County comm sells a heavy duty tin like the altoids tin but thicker.

9. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

I prefer soft containers as they produce less noise and are more comfortable when carried on your person. In addition most EDC items are robust enough to not need an hard case.

twin63 likes this.
  10. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

You need to decide what you want to put in it and what situations it will cover, that will dictate the size of the container. What the container is made of just depends on your philosophy, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Do you want this as a stand alone PSK, with everything from knives to fishing equipment? Or do you want it to simply supplement what you'd be carrying as part of your EDC?

For me an altoids tin is too small because at a minimum I wanted a means to hold and purify water, and most purification tablets are designed around 1 liter water containers. Instead of having to fiddle with breastmilk bags or some other fraction of a liter, I just bought some 1 liter whirlpak bags, and included two for redundancy. Rolled up, the dictating dimension was it's width, so I wanted something pocketable, hard sided, but wide enough for these bags. There was plenty of room left over for the other misc items I wanted to carry as well (fire, tinder, signal, etc), but the point is the mission drives the equipment.

An SAS tin is big enough for my water bags, but I found it was too thick to comfortably carry in a regular pocket. I was able to cram so much stuff in there it was also alarmingly heavy. It did fit into a cargo pocket, but bounced against my leg and wasn't comfortable.

In the end, I found some gift-card tins at steak and shake -- these tins were the same length and width as an SAS tin, but the same depth as an altoids tin. This makes them big enough to carry what I need, but thin enough that I can slip it into a back pocket of some jeans and not notice it while walking. I made two, one for each back pocket (a primary kit, and a supplementary kit with nice to have things but not critical). Alternatively if I'd be out for some time I could carry them in a belt pouch.

Here's an old example of this setup (it's since undergone some changes)

Knife and lighter are size references only, not inside the kit.

[​IMG]

Contents of the primary kit below. The white roll next to the purification tablets are the two whirl pak bags tightly rolled up, with the white paper outside to help protect it from rubbing the other contents. It fits perfectly the length of the tin.

[​IMG]

Contents of the supplementary kit below (I've added additional items such as dressings, spare set of contact lenses, an esbit cube, etc). Ziplock bags left of the hooks are wooly buggers and bait.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Burncycle, Jul 21, 2016