1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best compact bit driver?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by zimm, Sep 6, 2020.

1. zimm

zimm Loaded Pockets

I'm want to carry a compact bit driver in my EDC bag along with a selection of bits for loose screws, etc. What's a good pick?

I was looking at the Wiha stubby 14-1 screwdriver with bits in the handle. Or go even lighter weight with a palm/thumb screw sized bit driver and a bit pack. Something with more options than my leatherman skeletool has.

2. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Several options out there. From a free give-away plastic case that comes with a few bits and a bit extension up to the super-fancy kickstarter projects like:

Questions I've asked myself:
    1. what specific environments (mostly in terms of operating space and depth) I will likely to work in to screw/unscrew. A lot of the fancy bit driver (like Lethermans Thread) work only if you can easily access the screw like on the outside of a case, but fail if you need to operate inside a device which is usually cramped with mechanics or electronics.
    2. which bits do I need

Also not totally happy I'm carrying a mini pocket ratchet with two bit bars in my EDC toolkit pouch: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/screwdriver-edc.140730/#post-2713523

As you already mentioned Wiha (professional tools), you may also have a look into Wera tools, like their Kraftform Kompakt series (specifically the Kraftform 28 SB) or their ToolCheck Plus.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Sep 6, 2020
    #2 FiaOlleDog, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    BigGreenTick and WillAdams like this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I'm currently carrying a first generation Ti EverRatchet:

https://www.gearinfusion.com/products/everratchet

as well as a CRKT Getaway Driver

and it works quite well, though unfortunately the ratchet function won't really hold on the small extender from the Getaway Driver, so I switch to the static holder (which affords a bit more leverage).

For real work though I haul out my Silca T Ratchet:

https://silca.cc/products/t-ratchet_kit

(I also have a first gen torque bar)

and a collection of bits and adapters and sockets I have in a pair of Altoids tins --- there are various photos around here.

FiaOlleDog and BigGreenTick like this.
  4. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

CountyCom's titanium screwdriver is nice.

FiaOlleDog and BigGreenTick like this.
  5. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

I carry a wera 813 driver. Its a little longer than a stubby but smaller around.

BobbyD, FiaOlleDog and BigGreenTick like this.
  6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I went through a few different options before settling on the Sealey AK6962 Micro Ratchet. I've been very happy with it, especially when combined with a short bit driver extender to give a little more reach or a little more torque.

FiaOlleDog likes this.