1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Cheap Pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Liveitloud, Nov 16, 2008.

1. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Picked up a pair of Zebra compact F-301 today. Needed something nicer than my 5-cent pen when I am dressed up. As far as being able to put ink on paper, they are no better than my cheap pens. As long as it's reliable and functional, a pen is just a pen.

2. Liveitloud

Liveitloud Loaded Pockets

So, rather than starting a new thread I figured I would post this here. I was going through some stuff that was in storage when I found this set. It's a Parker pen/pencil set that seems to be a Jotter. The difference though is that there is no clicky on top but the entire top head of the pen depresses to engage the ink cartridge. Is anyone familiar with this or it's age? I looked around online and was not able to find anything. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

3. forcedefrappe

forcedefrappe Loaded Pockets

Zebra F-701
    Pilot Drawing Pen DR [SW/DR]
    Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5
    Stabilo Point 88
    UniBall PowerTank
    Pentel e-ball
    Faber Castell Pitt Artists Pen series

...I dont really consider any of them "the best", besides in that price range you dont have to choose. ;)

4. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I've got to vote for the Zebra F-701. I can't say enough good things about this pen- the build is bulletproof, the pocket clip is nice and sturdy, and removable and adjustable if it ever gets sprung out. The Parker Jotter is a classic but IMO the clip is junk- it gets sprung out way too quick. Still, I like them. I'd also like to suggest another one- the Bic Steel. This is a great pen, accepts standard Parker refills. It looks like that according to this website, they changed the Bic Steel and are now calling the one I refer to as the "Wide Body". A great pen, in my experience.

5. forcedefrappe

I also own this set and have seen it sold on ebay as part of a 45 series Parker fountain pen- I will look into it on FPN-

:)

6. forcedefrappe

OK, have done some research and its a Parker 25 stainless set, I have found out very little information unfortunetly.

From what I can gather they came in a stainless and a black version complete line- mech pencil, ballpoint, rollerball and fountain pen which from a design standpoint looks somewhat like a classic duo.

The line is discontinued and I would guess that they are from the 70's, I don't really collect Parkers but I would be surprised if the worth came to more than 10$ taking into account that you can pick up 45's for that price.

Hope that helps. :)

Edit: Check out http://penhome.co.uk/penspr.htm - look at the year of issue for the Parker 25??! Strange, prior to seeing this I could have sworn I had it before the year 2000.

:rant: Its a conspiracy!

7. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I have to say that Zebra 701 is just about perfect. Easy to find refills, hefty enough to find in your pants after you take them off, sturdy enough to be run over and still work (I had to take off the pocket and rebend it, but after that it was good as new). Great pen.

8. Liveitloud

Liveitloud Loaded Pockets

Hey thanks a lot for taking the time to look into it. I appreciate it. I'm not looking to sell so the value is not an issue.

9. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

PaperMate/Sanford FlexGrip pens are cheap, comfortable to hold, no great loss if someone wanders off with one, and have very smooth ink.

10. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

The Unison Retractable Rubber Grip Ball Point Pens are what I typically use, though I am getting an Inka for my key ring. ^^;

They can be purchased in a lot of dollar stores for... well, one USD, and come in packages of twelve.

My only complaint is that when they're first used, they have to be scribbled quite a bit, especially if they've been stored lying down. ^^; I so far have four pens unusable out of 24, though I think those have been on their sides for... a year now, maybe? o.o;

Definitely worth the money paid, though; /especially/ if you're a college student. :3

11. forcedefrappe

No problem, its a nice pen- specially with the gel ballpoint refills. :)

12. purple95

purple95 Empty Pockets

My votes go to, in no particular order:

Parker Jotter
    Zebra Z-701

Cheers,
    dan :)

13. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Zebra F-301 or F-701.

14. kuusamo

kuusamo Loaded Pockets

My vote goes to Parker Jotter

15. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

My best cheap pen is the Bic Clic Stic. I always carry two of them. Very rarely do I have a problem. Most of the time it just a matter of licking the tip of the pen.

16. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

The best cheap pen would have to be Zebra pens. True that there are the cheaper Bic, Papermate Pens but I've had many experiences with them not writing to making a big ink blobs.

17. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Can i include the Rite in the Rain pens, its less than a dollar over $10?

link

Got it a couple weeks back in the EDCF prize draw and i love it. Very simple basic look, but its all metal (i thought it was plastic at first) and the pressurised cartridge works really well, writing first time every time and being very smooth - ive not tested it working underwater or in extreme temperatures, but i take their word for it that it does.

18. Gene O

Gene O Empty Pockets

Pilot Easy Touch Fine Point

19. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Sharpie pen in fine black!

20. froldt

froldt Loaded Pockets

I dunno what one would retail for individually, as I get mine in bulk at Sam's, but the bulk package comes in under $10. I carry a PILOT EasyTouch on a pretty regular basis.