1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best :censored: edc flashlight change my mind

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Spartan857, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Spartan857

Spartan857 Loaded Pockets

2. landwire
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

No tail standing. A feature, that I actually use quite a bit. Everything else was cool.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Impressive performance from a AAA size light but I would rather sacrifice the higher output of li-ion and the USB port for the ability to use AAA lithium primaries and regular eneloop NiMH rechargables. The switch on my regular Microstream is not that great and some of the other reviews I have read on the USB version's switch have not been favorable so that is another concern.

Wishoot likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have several of the original versions of the Microstream (as well as its big brother the Stylus Pro) and recently also bought the USB version. The original versions have served me well, even without the ability to tail stand -- although I've had other lights that have that capability (e.g., various MagLite, a Fenix E12), and I do appreciate that capability. I do really like the simplicity of this original switch UI though.

I recently acquired the USB version of the Microstream - less for the USB charging than the increased output. I'm still undecided about the UI with the need to 'soft tap' the tail switch to get different output. Not yet convinced that it was worth the extra investment. Maybe more time with it will tip me decisively one way or the other...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Wishoot and Moose like this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am not buying any lights that can not use standard batteries once the built-in one dies except for Keychain lights.
    As I keep saying I use a light for work every day,all day long and can not afford to wait for a light to recharge before getting back to work.
    Pretty simple idea it seems.

Otherwise it would be tough to argue with the Microstream as they have been around a long time and always work when asked to,until now?

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

It fails on several levels:
    1 Can't tail Stand
    2 No true "low" setting--50 lumens is a strong Mid setting, not a low
    3 Unrealistic "high" setting--250 lumens can't be maintained for any length of time either by the battery or heat dissipation.
    4 Ridiculously long (almost 4 inches) for a 1xAAA light
    5 Apparently cannot use a standard AAA battery in pinch

Moose likes this.
  7. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I don't think the light necessarily fails, I just have concerns about the switch and the UI. I prefer the ability to use more common AAAs but I am sure this light checks the box for some other users.

8. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

The Wuben e05 mops the floor with this one. Has 4 modes and actual low modes that help conserve battery, is brighter on high, has shortcuts, a magnet, can tailstand, two way clip, battery indicator.. It is a 14500 light, but not longer and pretty thin.

I could put a USB rechargeable 14500 in a Thrunite T10 and have light that is same length or shorter and has better modes and UI. Hell, it even is brighter for longer with normal eneloops in it.

For the length it has, I rather take a 2xAAA penlight like the Ti4 or nitecore mt06md or Lumintop IYP 365. All give similar or more output, but longer and are more versatile with a real low mode.

Also The Reylight 1xAAA is miles ahead in terms of tint. And if you want AAA/10440 and USB charging, the Ultratac K18 is also superior. But you could just put a USB rechargeable 10440 battery in all kinds of AAA lights that support Li-Ion. Lumintop Tool for example. And all these give you more independence because you can use normal NiMh rechargeables or Alkalines as well.

There's no reason to buy the USB Microstream in 2019, really. The normal AAA one still has a point, just because it is really simple one mode on/off and has momentary on.

The Microstream USB does not even hold enough power to run even half a night through on the "low" mode. That absolutely makes no sense.

Last edited by flux, Feb 1, 2019
    #8 flux, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Moshe ben David and Moose like this.
  9. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Very tempting, but I wouldn't give up the fire fly mode of my Olight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

10. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Not even close to the best in my mind

- Cannot accept standard batteries
    - Runtime even on low is not very long
    - Low is too high, want a low ~10lumen or less
    - No tail standing

11. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I'd never carry a rechargable light as part of my EDC. The standard SL Microstream, absolutely.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Now that I have both, and have edc'd the USB version a bit, I agree with you. The high output level of the USB version doesn't last that long and it reverts to a standard output. Which for what I use it for is sufficient. I've concluded the extra investment for the new version did not give adequate return on investment for me.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David